High test results...

tri_thunder
on 1/3/07 5:25 am
Insurance is asking for medical necessity in my appeal and for some reason my surgeon put down high cholesterol. My last test was 3 years ago, so not pertinent. I have the blood draw tomorrow and plan on eating a block of cheese, a few Big Macs, maybe a stick of butter 2-3 hours before.... I mean really... Medical necessity? I'm 5'9" and 330 lbs. My BMI is 47+. I'm defined as Morbid Obese. How much necessity do they really need? I did have a double whopper for lunch just to prime the pump though... and might 'forget' about the fasting part just to have some elevated levels, but jeez.... Just venting like a lady... My apologies gents. Jim
carbonblob
on 1/3/07 6:03 am - los angeles, CA
Hey Jim, don't forget to eat a ton of sugar before the stick too. then claim diabetic tendencies. plus tell them you have sleep apnea, flat feet and also drink a ton of coffee before you go to get your blood pressure through the roof. I guess your insurance is looking for co-morbidities so give it to em........Carbonblob
(deactivated member)
on 1/3/07 6:09 am - Eagle River, AK
LOL your post went up right before mine CB! I guess we were both on the same train of thought. What is it that they say about great minds? - Bob
carbonblob
on 1/3/07 6:15 am - los angeles, CA
Too funny Thumper! almost word for word....lol! Yep, great minds and all that........Carbonblob
(deactivated member)
on 1/3/07 6:07 am - Eagle River, AK
Jim -- Do you have any other comorbidities, like high blood pressure, diabetes or sleep apnea? I ask because any one of them would constitute a "medical necessity". I had all three, and thy have all subsided since having wls. There's no cure for diabetes, but I have been symptom free for six months now without meds. No need to apologize... This is a very frustrating process. But it will be well worth it in the end after your surgery is approved. I hope this helps. - Bob
tri_thunder
on 1/3/07 6:14 am
I'm boarderline on everything. High BP, but not on meds. No sleep apnea, etc. Had plantar facia, but is gone 10 years now since I have a desk job. I have been doing triathlons and marathons so I've kept a lot of the comorbids at bay, but they are hanging out there and it just makes sense to fix the squeek now before finding out what really needs fixing. I think a breakfast burrito 2 hours before should do the trick, but I'm not ruling out that stick of butter just yet. I like the idea of coating it in sugar though..
(deactivated member)
on 1/3/07 6:54 am - Eagle River, AK
You weigh 330 lbs and you run triathlons and marathons? Dude, how do your joints take the pounding? When I was that heavy I couldn't walk 20 miles let alone run it... Anyway, your plan while amusing, isn't going to work. A cholesterol draw has to be done after 12 hours of fasting. If you eat before the test, they'll know from the results and just make you repeat the test. Eating eggs three times a day a week before the draw might put you over the top though... best of luck, - Bob
walter A.
on 1/3/07 8:56 am - lafayette, NJ
the worst food you can injest for your blood test, to ruin the results, or gain your goal is a egg mc muffin, proven, one will elevate all the bad things for 4 to six hours, deadly food, and they are on sale this week for a buck
Beam me up Scottie
on 1/3/07 1:59 pm
OMG a BUCK!!!! I'm going McD's and get me one. I love those things, but am too cheap to spend 2.50 on a breakfast sandwich...but for a buck....heck I might have one everyday this week!!!! Scott
drjco
on 1/3/07 8:30 am - Mint Hill, NC
Jim, I thought I was the only one being yanked around. My insurance would not accept my medical history of my weight always being a problem. There were doctor records of the times I would try and would only lose 5-10 pounds that would come right back on. I have been excercsing my whole life and brought to the exercise physiologist record of my workout routine etc. It was not accepted by theinsurance because I had never been under Dr.'s supervision. I have been keeping records of my diet and workouts sine October. The doctor is going to try to have the insurance company accept these. 5"8" 285lbs. By the way, no apology needed. drjco
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 27 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 27 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 63 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 85 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 95 views