When will it end...

carrtje
on 1/5/07 3:31 am - Chico, CA
I'mjust curious how long this general feeling of whole-body weakness lasts? I'm 2.5 weeks post-op, and though some days I seem to vibrate with energy, most I feel generally weak and tired. I'm getting all my protein in the form of shakes, and all my water. I also force myself to walk at least a mile a day, usually 2. Oh, and BTW. had my 1st appointment yesterday. The official tally is -22 lbs since surgery. That means I've lost 42 since I started the journey. Hasta.
tcalfo
on 1/5/07 3:57 am - Thousand Oaks, CA
I know for me it took a couple months, with each day getting better. No lie, the day I started walking a lot was the day I sarted feeling better. Days I didn't walk, I felt worse. Congrats on the loss!
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/07 4:10 am - MO
Put your eyes on the horizon and imagine what is coming. Just dream and ask for pain medicine and dream some more. One day, you'll be able to sail through the miles before you. Don't look at your present situation - look beyond today to all those doors that will be opening for you in the future.
Dan_P.
on 1/5/07 4:28 am - Baltimore, MD
Probably 4-6 weeks. I agree that the moment I was able to exercise more was when the overall weakness went away.
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/07 4:44 am - Eagle River, AK
Woot! 22 lbs in 2.5 weeks? You da man! I know the feelings you are describing. All I can tell you is it gets better. It can be caused my a myriad of things; Anesthesia "hangover", pain meds, lack of sleep (I couldn't get comfortable until I could lay on my side again), hormones (they're stored in fat cells and are finding it more difficult to find a place to hide now) and just simply your body getting used to operating on much less food. The exercise is a key element to your recovery. The walks are great; keep it up! I have access to an indoor pool at the gym where I work out. I swam a lot until I lost enough weight to be comfortable using the ellipticals and treadmills. I hope this helps. - Bob
FatManWalking
on 1/5/07 5:01 am - Deep in the Heart of, TX
RNY on 12/11/06 with
I am just a week in front of you, having RNY 12/11. I thought I was doing great energy wise, until I went back to work on the 2nd. Putting whole long days together in a row is a challenge, still. I raised my calorie intake to 800-1000, from 500-700, and that has helped a bit. Three low card, high protein shakes a day, plus a little real food 3 times a day. (scrambled egg for breakfast, cottage cheese, yogurt or liquid soup for lunch, same for dinner) I am down about 27 pounds since surgery and about 50 from starting the pre-op diet. It has been nice integrating some real food back into my diet. I am lucky to have Whole Foods flagship store right accross the street from my office. I have been walking 2 miles during lunch and then stopping over there for a small soup before returning to the office. Wendy's Chilli, turned to the consistency of creamy refried beans with an electric hand mixer, is great, too. A small has 220 caloires, just a tad of fat and sugar, and a bunch of protein. I find when I am dragging ass that it helps fire the ovens in the engine room. You might be a week out yet from something like that, but when cleared for "puree" fooods, I highly reccommend it. JP
Dave G.
on 1/5/07 5:19 am - Garden Grove, CA
I don't know if you're already doing this, but ... I felt like that for a few days until I remembered to take some liquid vitamin b-12. Plus, Centrum (and I'm sure a couple others, but Centrum is what I used) make a liquid multi-vitamin. Start on those if you haven't already, and it'll help. I just know there was a marked difference in my energy when I started the liquid b-12. Congrats on the weight loss!!
mudshark1971
on 1/5/07 11:32 am - Eugene, OR
Centrum also makes a chewable that isnt bad either. I am 1 and a half weeks out and feel fine. I felt the way you are describing until I stopped the pain meds. Now I feel great. Hope somebody's info can help you dude!
Markwho
on 1/5/07 6:22 pm - Morristown, NJ
Hi Jacob, It sounds like you are doing a great job. I had the surgery 12/27/06 and I am still slow in getting around. I just started Protein yesterday and I may have over done it. But it sounds like you are on the right track. Keep up the good work!
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/07 12:34 am - Waterdown, Canada
Hey Jacob... for me, it was the lack of iron in my blood - with my own WLS day on Oct 3rd, I still havent' found a liking for red meat yet... so getting iron pills and taking 1 a day was my pcp's advice and that has worked fine! that "fatigued-all-the-time" feeling disappeared and I'm full of energy... Jim
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 64 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 86 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 96 views