A question for everybody

SonnySmith
on 1/30/07 11:32 pm
Actually this is really for those with a "lower" BMI pre-op. Did anyone else "sabatoge" more conventional methods of weight loss as they went through the consultation, approval, pre-op process? Let me try to explain better....Being that my BMI is 38, I have had to get a diagnosis of sleep apnea to even qualify for surgery. I have done this through two sleep studies. Anyway, I constantly complain about my weight, but if I really address it (which I have been sucessful at in the past through diet and exercise....check out the pics on my profile) I will no longer have a BMI high enough to qualify for surgery. I am a yo-yo-yo-yo dieter and have lost much weight on several occasions in the past. Every time only to gain it back and more. I know myself and know I would eventually regain any weight lost this way, but losing it would jeaprodize my ability to get surgery. I really feel like crap now, but see WLS as a necessary tool to STAY at a healthy bodyweight. I'm hoping the lap band will help me control the two issues that got me obese in the first, second, and third place. How much I eat and how often. I realize that if I get the surgery it won't be easy. I'm not looking for the easy way out. I just find myself eating too much in order to "maintain" my obesity to qualify for surgery. Maybe I didn't express what I'm trying to say very well, but hopefully you "got" it. Any words of encouragement or comments? Sonny
SouthJerseyChris
on 1/31/07 1:41 am - Brick, NJ
Once I decided I wanted the surgery, I gained 35lbs to make sure I would qualify. ..so yea...I know what you mean. My reasons were the same as yours. Yo-yo diets..too many starts and stops.. Like the Duke said, sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Personally, I don't give a crap about reasons..its more important to take the steps to be healthy.
carbonblob
on 1/31/07 2:31 am - los angeles, CA
Sonny, your making the assumption the insurance companies think logically. Don't. do what you gotta do to meet their idiotic standards for the surgery. there is simply no logic or truth to your situation so meet their demands!
SonnySmith
on 1/31/07 2:41 am
I'm in a mental place to want to change. I want to make the change now. I feel I'm being self-destructive in the mean time while playing this waiting game with the date of this surgery thing whenever it will eventually be. I haven't even had a consultation yet. I think I'm willing to wait for Barix to do it since they are so highly regarded and within 10 minutes of my house. I'm just very frustated. Sonny
carbonblob
on 1/31/07 2:54 am - los angeles, CA
you know what, talk to your doc. make the appointment. i'm sure they'll fudge a number or two. if it's just the bmi thing you might find a sympathetic ear. if not, wear really heavy clothes and put lead in your pockets. i'm serious! whatever it takes, just appear heavier than you are. don't beat yourself up. you're taking the right steps and if you have to have a few pig outs to meet the specs, i say go for it provided you will really get the surgery. but again, i would set the appointment and talk to the doc, they can manipulate all kinds of aspects to get you qualified. i know this didn't help much but please, make the appointment and let them try to find a way to help you, you sound ready to me......Carbonblob
jpcolter
on 1/31/07 3:07 am - San Francisco, CA
Hi Sonny - Your story sounds a lot like mine. I had a BMI of exactly 40 - not enough to get insurance approval but enough for WLS surgeons to be willing to perform surgery. Like you, I knew myself and felt like I could either continue on my pattern of losing weight and gaining it (and more) back again for another 10 years or until I developed serious health problems or I could be proactive and get the surgery. So I did. I self-paid so I could avoid all the insurance hassles and was able to have the surgery (VSG) even though I barely had a high enough BMI and had no co-morbities. That was in October 2006. I've lost about 65 lbs so far and already feel 1000% better. To use a commonly seen acronym used on this forum, my first FART moment was when I recently went to see a movie and my rear end fit easily into the seat. Silly, I know, but it felt great. JP
cabin111
on 1/31/07 5:29 am
For me money and time talked. I have 2 different insurance companies. Both said the procedure is excluded. I ended up paying cash and had my RNY done quickly...2 months. It cost $23,000. But I am 51, yo-yo dieter, high blood pressure, high colestrol, 1 heart attack, 1 double heart bypass, 290# at the time. I had the money and gambled there would be no complications. I know most people don't have that type of money, but with my health I felt do it or die young. I'm now 209# and feeling great, all areas are normal. All I had to do was a preop class and see the pys. 2 meetings with the docs (one of those with a PA), then they scheduled me. I knew there was a long waiting list, so I tried to move quickly. It may have been selfish, but I had saved my money all my life for when things like this came up. The Good Lord has blessed me. I do know of several people who have gained to try and get qualified. Some people try surgery in Mexico, and are very sucessful, (not saying do that). Hoping the hoops aren't to hard to jump through. Just my 2 cents...Brian
adnlyn
on 2/1/07 1:59 am - new city, NY
Lap Band on 03/19/07 with
sonny i completely understand your problem. I was/ am in the same positon. i have my preop appoiont ment on the 15th of feb. at that time i schedule my surgery but i havnt got approval yet. but i have been doing what i need to to comply with the insurance company.
Most Active
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 14 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 14 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 42 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 74 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views