Set back today

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/07 3:05 am - MO
Going through the testing hoops for my doctor. I found out I had low oxygen levels and will be put on oxygen and a cpap machine. Q: Will this hinder me from getting a date? Thanks, Bob.
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/31/07 3:12 am - Japan
Hi Bob, I'm not sure, but they *may* ask you to lose more weight pre-op than average, depending on what's causing the low O2. Wonder if anyone else has experience with this? If not, I'm sure there's an answer if you search the FAQ on the main page. Dave
Jim G.
on 1/31/07 3:28 am - Waverly, PA
Dear Bob, I didn't have low oxygen levels, but I was found to have sleep apnea. Therefore, I had to get a CPAP machine and use it for at least two months before the surgery (an insurance company requirement). From what I was able to determine, it appears that using the CPAP can help you come out of the anesthesia and ventilator breathing on your own. Otherwise, the risk that you won't are increased. Personally I hated the CPAP in the beginning. But after I got used to it, I really got much more restful sleep. I am still using it right now. However, my doctor believes that after I lose a significant amount of weight, it may no longer be necessary for me to use the CPAP. I am looking forward to that day. I hope this was helpful. Good luck. Jim
Scott_I
on 1/31/07 3:45 am
Bob My MD. wanted me on the CPAP machine for 30 days prior to surgery, but I don't know about the low o2 levels in the blood. Even if it does cause a delay It does not sound like the kind of thing that will knock you out of contention. Best Regards Scott
Dave G.
on 1/31/07 9:46 am - Garden Grove, CA
I have sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP for years. They did the surgery no problem. The way my surgeon put it is, it's something they need to be aware of, but not a huge deal. Good luck!
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/31/07 9:48 am - Japan
Bob, This is the only thing I found in FAQ: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/question.php?N=R1022618614 Whatever the case, it sounds like your sleep apnea treatment should help you overcome the problem. Best Wishes, Dave
Bobby C.
on 1/31/07 10:34 am - Charlotte, NC
Hey Bob M., not sure about the O2 levels, but in my case, it was the result of sleep apnea. My understanding is when you stop breathing, your O2 level's going to drop. This leads to your heart pumping faster to try to get more O2 out in your system. This leads to high blood pressure. Over a few years of undiagnosed sleep apnea, I had a small stroke 6 years. They couldn't find anything wrong except the sleep apnea and attributed the stroke to the high blood pressure spikes at night. So I've been using a cpap (now a bipap) for years. Hope they figure it out in your case and that it doesn't delay your date. - Bobby
HePaid4That
on 1/31/07 10:47 am
Hey Bob, I have had the same experience as Bobby. My O2 level issues were the result of the sleep apnea. As soon as I went on the CPAP that all improved. I was on one for 6 years prior to the surgery. They are a pain, but once you get used to them it will mke a huge difference in the restfulness of your sleep. I'm worthless if I don't have it...or at least I was before surgery. I figure once I lose 100 lbs I will try to see if I can go off the CPAP. Don't fret, this will likely not cause any major delays for you. Greg
kevin moran
on 1/31/07 11:40 am - stockton, CA
Bob: I was on ( & off) CPAP machine for 4 years pre-op... within 3 Months of surgery... I was off of it !!!! A very small price tp pay.... go for it w/ gusto
(deactivated member)
on 1/31/07 11:46 am - MO
Thanks for the replies fellas. You guys are good support.
Most Active
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 16 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 16 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 43 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views