cpap question

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/07 7:10 pm - MO
I've had my cpap for nigh on to 4 years and used it sparingly until recently. However recently I've found that I do need it since I wake up with a massive headache regularly indicating not enough breathing in the night. My problem however is after an hour or so I must rip that mask off (full facial). I wake up to find my mask on the floor blowing air. I use a warmer for my water, but when water starts splashing up on my face or another reason of which I am unaware I rip off the mask. Thanks for any replies, Bob.
SonnySmith
on 1/31/07 7:39 pm
Bob-- Admittedly, I'm a novice at this CPAP thing since I've only attempted to sleep with it once (Tues night for sleep study) I found it very uncomfortable and got a worse night sleep than if I had my standard number of episodes during the night. Some of the discomfort can probably be attributed to the wires etc. of the study, but man is that thing going to take some getting used to. Sonny
alwuetrich
on 1/31/07 8:42 pm - Hopkins, MN
I use one that is not full face. It only wraps around your head and the holes just blow into your nose. It was much more light than the others and I've actually found it to be fairly comfortable. Good luck. Al
Tim A.
on 1/31/07 10:12 pm
Bob, Call the sleep center that did your study and talk to them. There can be a lot of causes for this. Could this be condensation building up in your mask? Is the water seeting to high? The pressure could be wrong or the cpap could be malfunctioning. I did not rip my mask off but it would get out of place during the night and start to whistle and wake up my wife. I was really glad to be rid of my Bi-PAP machine after losing 100 pounds. I now sleep like a baby and never snore or toss and turn anymore. My wife says I sleep like the dead now. I only had to use it for six months and BCBS paid $3500 bucks for it and it now sitting on my closet shelf. I wanted to donate to the VA or charity but I have not been able to find one that will take it. Regards, Tim
kenINindy
on 1/31/07 10:32 pm - IN
Bob, If there is water in your tubing it's from moist air in the tubing meeting cold air outside the tubing. They call it "rain-out." There are a few of things you can try: 1. Turning down the heat on the humidifier 2. Turning up the heat in your bedroom 3. Keeping your tubing under your covers 4. Covering your tubing with an insulating material you can get at the hardware sore. Same stuff for pipes basically. 5. Asking someone handy with a sewing machine to make a cover for your tubing to insulate it. Ken
Steve Bacher
on 2/1/07 1:15 am - Louisville, KY
Bob, I initially used a standard nasal mask and would get condensation inside the mask at night. I switched to a "nasal pillows" type of mask that sits above my lip and blows air directly into my nostrils. I use a chin strap with it so I have no need for the full-face mask. I have been using it for almost two years now and sleep like a baby. As someone else mentioned you may want to try turning the heat setting down on your humidifier. Also, insulating the tubing can help with this problem. Here is a link where you can purchase a cover for the hose. http://www.cpapplus.com/Miscellaneous/SnuggleHose.html They are only $15 and come in a variety of colors.
SEBND2
on 2/1/07 1:44 am - Breckenridge, MN
Bob, I only had problems keeping it on at first, now I cant sleep without it (7years). It takes time to adjust to it, I have a half mask it only covers my nose, so I have to be able to keep my mouth shut and breat only through my nose, that took time to master. As far as water, dont over fill your resevior and keep you hose under the blanket with you. it should help. Good Luck. Brian
HePaid4That
on 2/1/07 9:18 pm
Hi Bob, I've used a cpap for 7 years and tried all the masks and the nasal pillows. Currently I have the full face mask, but prefer the nasal pillows. The main question with the nasal pillows is what is your setting. If your setting is 12 or below, then nasal pillows is the way to go. They are not recommended above that setting. It does have a tendency to dry out your mouth even with the humidifier, but I get by that by using a sugar free cough drop either that I've chewed to small pieces in case I swallow it. Just pack that in the corner of your mouth as if it was chew and you are good to go. Far less cumbersome than the full mask. In terms of the moisture your are getting, make sure your hose from the machine is elevated after it leaves the humidifier. Hang it over a bed rail or attach it to the wall. This would eliminate any water getting pushed in. If you already do that, turn down the setting on the humidifier or turn the heat off completely so less moisture is produced. Hope this helps. Greg
Most Active
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 11 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 11 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 42 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 74 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views