weight traing after RNY

big649 gill
on 4/26/07 12:21 am
  Hello Friends, I am new to this board. I did  gastric bypass on Feb12, 07 in India at that my weight was 385lb, now my weight is 330lb. I am doing eleptical crosstrainer .40 to 60 minutes,treadmill for .30minutes then .15 to 30 min in dry sauna .Now I want to know when and what kind of weight lifting traing I  can start that help me not to loose my skin from bally, under arms and in side of thighs.Thanks for the wonderful sugesion.
kkortsen
on 4/26/07 12:30 am - AZ
Hello, Welcome to the men's forum.   There are some great men and great adivce here too.  I would check with your Doc about the weight training.  My surgery was 2/8/7 and my surgeon said to do whatever exercise you want to.  Weights, marathons, etc, etc.  If it hurts, I stop doing it. Good luck, Kent
big649 gill
on 4/26/07 12:52 am
 Hello Mr, Kent.  Thank you very much for your advice. Actuly I can not contect my surgen and I have no food adviser .Only my family doctor is helping. You are 4 days elder then me into the new life. Realy thanks again.                                                                                                                                                                                            
Cards Fan
on 4/26/07 1:23 am, edited 4/26/07 1:32 am
Welcome to the Men's Board!   Here's my two cents on weight training... Most likely enough time has passed and you're healed to the point where you can safely add weights into your fitness routine.  Congratulations on making a commitment to fitness!  What you're doing at this point with your cardio routine is great and you should be commended for getting off to a great start and developing good habits right out of the gates from surgery.   Weight training and building lean muscle mass is proven to make your body more efficient in the fat-burning process.  Don't abandon your cardio...the combination of the two compliment each other. Ideally, the first thing to do is talk with a Trainer from your gym.  Discuss your goals and map out a plan that best fits what you're trying to accomplish.  A well-qualified and experienced trainer should be able to provide you with a plan that's conducive to your goals.  At this stage of the game, weight loss should be your utmost priority...so your weight program should be tailored toward fat-burning, toning and building lean muscle mass.  Generally this means lower amounts of weights, with higher repetition, higher amounts of sets.  The time for building significant mass should come after you've lost the majority of your weight.  If you can afford it, investing in a Personal Trainer it is money well-spent.  This person can help you design a program, educate you on the equipment and the importance of proper form, monitor your progress along the way and help keep you accountable.  If you're unable to afford a personal trainer, the gym you attend should at very least have a trainer and a fitness evaluation to help establish a baseline for you and help you map out a program to follow with some periodic follow-ups.   ONE WORD OF CAUTION:  Fitness Instructors and Personal Trainers are famous for pushing nutritional guidelines for their clients.  99 times out of 100 these folks, although well intentioned have no clue about WLS and the unique needs of bariatric patients - they can do you more harm than good.  Don't fall into this trap.   Make sure you focus solely on the fitness aspects with the Trainers and let your Nutritionist and Surgeon be your guide as far as your nutritional requirements! We could get into the specifics of what types of weights...bench press, leg press, seated row, lat pullovers, curls, crunches etc...but each gym is different, you may choose machines or free weights or a combination of both...you may do full body all in a day or split your routine into alternating days.  These are all things that are best determined on an individual basis.  Most important is just getting there and doing it...make the commitment and stick to it. Best of luck to you! Cards Fan STEP OFF THE SIDELINES AND GET IN THE GAME!
carbonblob
on 4/26/07 1:52 am - los angeles, CA
Hey cards fan, i don't want to high jack this post but would you please make a copy of your post! your reply along with some i've seen from Joe on this subject really nailed the whole point and outlook for weight training.

So jaswinder, you just got the best answer i've read in a while. get a trainer, go to a gym and see what happens. guys like cards fan, aj, joe, dave in japan and many others here worked their training into their lifestyles and it shows. exercise need not be a chore or torture. i would venture to say most of the guys on this board really look forward to their work outs. so just keep asking away and you'll get responses as to what works for these guys. just make your choice something you will follow up with. your trainer can give you a list of weight exercises for those specific areas you want to tone up but the truth has already been spoken, cardio the rest of your body and the flab will melt. good luck.....carbonblob
wjoegreen
on 4/26/07 4:57 am - Colonial Heights, VA
CB, You still got that post you made about a month ago on basics and fundamentals?  That was excellent stuff jaswinder might be able to use.
carbonblob
on 4/26/07 11:52 am - los angeles, CA
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/board_id,5479/cat_id,5079/topic_id,3256324/a,messageboard/action,replies/#25135563

i think this is the one joe!
wjoegreen
on 4/26/07 1:40 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Jaswinder, I am an advocate of weight training.  Been doing it most of my life at different levels of intensity.My advice form the results I'm getting: The cardio stuff is great for your calves and thighs and overall weight loss.  I am walking and jogging and am very pleased with the minimal amount of loose skin I am experiencing.  I am doing free weights for upper body to help with the below bicep flap and to keep the chest tight.  Bench, curls, rows, pull down, miltary press, and flys.  I actually dropped my usual free curling dumbell weight back 5 pounds (25 to 20 lbs) to get three full sets and good exercise form.  I am seeing results and am soon ready to bump the 5 pounds back up. Good luck with whatever program you develop.  You are definitely doing the right stuff.  Don't forget to keep us posted on your results.  That kinda stuff just motivates the heck out of readers and message board lurkers. Joe
Tim A.
on 4/26/07 5:18 am
Cards Fan gave you some very good advice, he should know he spends a lot of time in the gym. I had surgery 4/17/06 at Duke. I started out walking only 1-2 miles a day for the first 3 months. Then in July 2006 I added weight training five days a week, focusing on arms and gut. Lots of bench presses, curls, inclined sit-ups, crunches, and still walking 6 days a week. Now I am one year out and I have lost 234 pounds down to 226lbs. I go to the gym 2-3 days a week, I work all muscle groups plus I still walk outside (I hate treadmills....) about 20-25 miles each week including 6-10 miles on a Saturday or Sunday with my lab Jack. I have pretty good muscle definition now and once I get rid of my minor loose skin I should be in pretty good shape physically. I have advanced my walking routine to include running 20-50% of each of my walks and I hope to work up to running 5 miles. I also play volleyball on my company team one night a week. With the start of our local Men's WLS support group I am expanding into other sports related activities. We played golf and walked the course two weeks ago. Once the water warms up this summer I am looking forward to trying water skiing again, it has been 20 years since I las****er skied. Every day brings new challenges and opportunities for me. I feel like I have drunk from the "Fountain of Youth" and every day just gets better and better. Exercise is to the key to the long term success of this program.  Good Luck,
wjoegreen
on 4/26/07 5:13 am - Colonial Heights, VA
OK, I couldn't wait. CB (CarbonBlob), the ripped guy with no face,....made an excellent post on weight trainng back on March 30, 2007.  I have included the link to his post: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/a,messageboard/action, replies/board_id,5479/cat_id,5079/topic_id,3256324/ Hope you get as much from it as I did.  It is excellent advice and CB has the guns to walk the walk after talking the talk. Joe
Most Active
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 16 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 16 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 43 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views