LOST INTEREST IN FOOD

carbonblob
on 3/30/08 3:11 am - los angeles, CA
ok, so instead of spewing out my usual self absorbed take on your questions and comments i have a question of my own for ya all. this is posed to those farther down the line. i've seem to have gone through just about every incarnation possible with my relationship over food. hate it, love it, want it, can't stand it etc. a while back, after i got off pain meds i gained a lot of weight. like 20 pounds. i dieted and got it off again. i started to eat regular again. now i don't diet or anything anymore. i just eat what i want and when i want it. sorry but no fussy wls rules anymore. why? i don't need it. i guess i'm just eating like a non stupid person should. i even had dessert last night but of course, just about threw up in a super crowded restuarant full of people. (i'm slow).

so here's my question. for the past couple months i don't even eat until dinner sometimes, i stopped taking protein, very bad and i just don't want to eat most times. when i do, i get so full so fast. i can still graze at night when the mood hits. but my eating now seems to consist of creamed spiniach at night and rice cakes later. i seem to have lost interest in eating. i've lost a ton of weight and my muscles have shrunk again. i've lost motivation to take protein but mostly because it makes me sick.

i've lost my way guys. anybody else just give up on eating or is it just me? i know this should be some kind of good breakthrough but it's not. i lift, i need protein and food but just lost interest. ok, fire away........carbonblob who's back in the low 150's.
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/08 3:20 am - uranus, CA
RNY on 09/19/06 with
CB - I eat PURE PROTEIN chocolate peanut butter bars from Wally World, they are great! Your ******g up, BTW... but you already know that, doancha     
carbonblob
on 3/30/08 3:28 am - los angeles, CA
yep, i know it all right. took me a couple months just to come on here and admit i'm stupid! i tried a couple of those protein bars but i have to stay away from them because they're too much like candy to me. i'll end up eating a ton of them. for lifting i need whey protein that can break down fast but i have to do what kyper does, bite the bullet and get that blender thing he uses. he just does a 4 oz serving and downs it. i've been too busy to just get that blender. i think maybe that will help me. you know, i just might have to take bars when i work. all the bars that have near 30 grams are also near or over 300 calories. you know, screw it, i'm gonna get a box of bars and see what it does. even my doc doesn't like it when i have the shakes because i react so bad to them. ok, i'll try it! now if i gain 50 pounds by eating protein bars and watching oprah all day it's your fault! carbonblob
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/08 3:34 am - uranus, CA
RNY on 09/19/06 with
CB - if you are not eating anyway, the bars won't have much if an impact.  The ones I suggest have 20 grams and 190 calories. 
(deactivated member)
on 4/1/08 1:05 am
Steve Bacher
on 3/30/08 3:25 am - Louisville, KY
Carbon, I was in the same situation for a while.  I did not have a desire for food and I am one of those who never had a hunger feeling return after surgery.  I was only eating a couple of times each day and at times only once.  I knew better and was losing weight that I didn't need to. I finally decided that I had spent too much time and effort getting healthy to **** it up this far down the road.  It is like exercise or drinking the protein drinks after surgery.  Not things I wanted to do or enjoyed but I knew I needed to do it and made myself.  So, I have done the same thing with eating.  I just make myself eat 6-8 small meals a day like my surgeon says to do.  I don't always want to and can't say I always enjoy it but I know it is what I need to do. You have come a long way and are to be congratulated for your success.  So, just put the same focus on maintaining your health now and doing the right things now that you did in the beginning.  Like the ads say "Just Do It!" -Steve
carbonblob
on 3/31/08 10:57 am - los angeles, CA
yep, sleeping ok. i think i work out enough i get tired plus i take ambian cr. i take too much though because it stops working at 3am! i used to go right back to sleep but not now. doc says to lay off it for a while so it will work again.

yeah, i'm a little down. my g/f keeps asking if this was worth it. everything she cooks for me i throw up. we go out to dinner and i sit there and get white faced and sick. i eat like i have no teeth and seem to be turning into a hobbit on crack crawling around saying, my precious. believe me, i would have killed for this problem a couple years ago myself. no fun now though. i really try to pscyh up for food. we went out for lunch yesterday and the place was packed to the rafters. we waited for our table and then ordered. i had dreams of food and even a dessert. well, i picked at my plate and packed it all up. ended up as usual sitting there making faces like i was about to pinch a loaf at the table. i must have looked like i was trying to decide if i just farted or crapped my pants. you know the look. not pleasant. i think she's getting tired of the routine too. going out should be a fun thing and it's reduced to watching if i'm going to hurl baloney schrapnel, foam at the mouth or look like my water burst and deliver a baby whale at the table with everyone watching. oh believe me, i try to be stoic and eat slow and do all the right stuff but you know how it is when you want to dump. you can't hide. so yeah, maybe it is a little depressing at that. maybe i need to admit that much. well, i'm going to try my best to not look like i'm undergoing a colonoscopy with no drugs when i'm out at dinner. that should be a start. thanks.....carbonblob
carbonblob
on 3/30/08 3:35 am - los angeles, CA
thanks steve, i knew i had to come here and just be B-slapped around. i know i'm standing here with my pants around my ankles with a big snot bubble in my nose pleading please, don't stick it in too far!

sometimes i need a good a-reaming. i have a ton of excuses not to eat. like last night. i worked and had five rice crackers all day. we had a birthday party at a place last night for a friend. we had an appetizer and i munched on that and then i had a seafood plate. ate a quarter of it, bagged the rest. then dessert, choc cake. i dug in, had about four bites and just about killed the person across from me with projectile baloney schrapnel. i'll never learn. i jonesed all day thinking of pigging out. trying to get excited about food. once i took the first few bites it was over. i felt full and the rest of the food was now a chore. man, talk about a 180. so i'm going take advice here and see what you all are doing. so far i'm going to take baja's advice and try some bars. most important i need protein. thanks steve you're right, time to focus.......carbonblob
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/08 6:48 am - uranus, CA
RNY on 09/19/06 with
"i'm going to take baja's advice and try some bars

i'm standing here with my pants around my ankles with a big snot bubble in my nose pleading please, don't stick it in too far!" Those aren't the kind of bars I was referring to , CB   I sure could have done without THAT visual, BTW 
Doug Such
on 3/30/08 3:50 am - Northern, CA
Hey cb, I've been surprised by my own changing attitudes toward food since my surgery. On the plus side, I don't crave the things I thought I would miss most **** cream, donuts, etc.) and so don't miss them. On the other hand, I don't eat a real variety. I'm afraid of eating "normally." I eat too many protein bars and drinks and too little "real food." I cannot make myself trust myself when it comes to eating. My wife is amazed at the sameness of my diet; I find it "safe." It seems to me that we need to expect to wax and wane when it comes to staying the course. We had issues for years and our bodies and psyches have a lot of unlearning to do as well as learning. I'm impressed with the way you got your back under and control and don't think you've exactly lost motivation. There's some motivation involved in telling us about your frustrations--motivation to regain motivation. Sorry if I sound hokey, but I've been following your story for a couple of years or so and think you sometimes overlook how much you have accomplished and how you do not give up, even if sometimes feels like you. If you're like me, you focus on the crappy stuff and your own slips and overlook the big picture. Not to trivialize the importance of not getting protein, etc., but I think you're in a ditch, not a valley, and you'll kick into gear again. Sometimes I try to treat eating like medicine, sticking to a schedule and eating what I need to whether or not I want to. I used to eat what I wanted wnen I wanted. The surgery is making me figure out to "reset" my wants. As they say in the 12-step programs, we seek progress not perfection. Hang in there, brother, you've come a long way.

Doug

If we're treading on thin ice we might as well dance.--Jesse Winchester

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 33 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 33 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 69 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 93 views