LOST INTEREST IN FOOD

carbonblob
on 4/1/08 3:18 am - los angeles, CA
ok, now i can respond again! you're right, i need to go back to basics. sometimes the easiest way is the right way. funny how i feel full after a couple bites. even if i eat slow. guess i should be happy about that huh? thanks man......carbonblob
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/08 11:29 pm - Waterdown, Canada
Um....CB...been thinking much the same now....78 weeks out from my own RNY and I'm just not a "foodie" anymore either. sad? go to the fridge! mad? go to the fridge! upset? go to the fridge! in love? go to the fridge! stressed? go to the fridge! worried? go to the fridge! anxious? go to the fridge! happy? go to the fridge! celebrating? go to the fridge! loaded? go to the fridge! high on life? go to the fridge! anything and everything in my "old" life - led me to the fridge! now however, I find that I ponder - think - ruminate over life's items and obstacles etc etc  no longer do I go to the fridge...which is why I think that the whole "foodie" thing is for me a thing that's gone out of my own life... I eat now (and have for almost a full year) anything I want. anytime I want. in any amount that I want - which means till I'm full. 5 oz of tuna or lamb thrill me - any oz of steak or pork aint fun at all...so my faves have changed. I now love veggies - brussels and asparagus turn me ON big time....and for the most part like before the RNY, sweets offer nothing. the days of sitting down with a whole loaf of caraway rye bread and a lb of cold butter...now it's a slice etc.... life's good! Jim
carbonblob
on 4/1/08 3:25 am - los angeles, CA
i gotta tell ya jim, i'm kind of in the same place. i can eat anything. i even WANT dessert after a meal! you know, i eat so little it doesn't matter what i eat. i don't gain weight. so why stress? my problem is getting it down. man do i know about the fridge thing. that thing used to be a big hypodermic needle to me. screw drugs, inject me with food and i mean for any emotion. none needed actually. i used to love to pig out on fast food too. i would go through the drive through and order for two or more people! last night i bought a piece of bananna bread cake with a little frosting! man, a year ago i would have never done that. two years ago i would have dumped. now, it's in moderation. i'm still sick when i eat but i can still eat dessert. i think there's going to come a time when i have to watch out. i keep having so many different phases i just don't know what's going to happen next. just when i get into a rut with eating foods something else happens. i'm fine eating the same thing over and over and then like now, i discover dessert. where did that come from? and why would i even eat that crap? all i can eat is creamed food and rice cakes and then buy a slice of bananna cake? ok, kick me in the ass. i got get my head on straight! carbonblob
Mike H.
on 3/31/08 1:51 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I have been eating Trader Joe's Greek Style Nonfat Plain Yogurt lately.  The container is 2 cups and provides 40 grams of protein.  I add some fresh fruit for sweetness and it's great.  Being that it is not a solid food, it goes down pretty well without filling me up like meat or chicken does.  The calories are only 240 for the entire container, which I usually divide into two meals.  It makes a pretty good dent in the protein requirements for the day.  I hate the shakes and generally refuse to drink my calories anyway.  Check it out.  Trader Joe's has had some great fresh blueberries and blackberries lately which go well with the yogurt.
Mike H
carbonblob
on 4/1/08 3:28 am - los angeles, CA
hey thanks mike. we get their french roasted coffee so next time in i'll check out the yogurt. sometimes i get the cherry at the store but it turns into dessert for me and i pig out on it and pile on the calories. you know, maybe if i didn't get the sweetest one that might be a good protein source for me. good idea. i'm gonna try it. thanks! carbonblob
majesticman
on 3/31/08 4:08 am - Upstate, NY
RNY on 11/12/07 with
All great advice. I think you have to go back to basics and build on that. You have to force the water and protein until you get back on track. You have got to take care of yourself. Maybe you could look at a local support group. Is it possible this is related to depression. I know this isn't tuna town, but it does happen, even to the best of us testosterone producers!
This board is so funny. It is so evident that when one hurts, we all hurt. Feel better and take better care of yourself. You deserve it.

Lou
WARNING!!  Lie Detectors Tell the Truth!

Lou

carbonblob
on 4/1/08 3:35 am - los angeles, CA
thanks lou, i have to admit, it seems like i hit a nerve. as i mentioned before sometimes eating is like aversion thearapy or something. why do it if it isn't pleasant or hurts? as i just said in another response i seem to go through cycles of experiences with food since this surgery. we were just discussing again last night while we walked about all the responses i've been getting on the board due to this post. funny how we all seem to be in this together huh? you're so right, when one hurts we all do. i really want to get a handle on this and she remarked that this almost seems like a punishment sometimes. well, almost all the time. all she sees me do is vomit and ache for the past two years. food is a hit and miss proposition and we have to worry when eating out or with friends.

you may be right. maybe it is a bit depressing. i don't want to go all oprah either but when guys like us take food out of our equation you know something has to give. food was our drug and now it's our fuel. so maybe back to soups for a while. i did kick myself and bought some milk to make my shakes again. as much as they hurt i gotta get protein in. gonna try that yogurt too and a few other suggestions. well, it is journey isn't it? thanks......carbonblob
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 4/2/08 12:42 pm - Japan

CB,

You mentioned getting sick from protein. Have you tried the over the counter medication "Emetrol" for nausea. I think it is only sugar of some kind with phosphorus. Maybe just a small spoon of this around the time of whatever makes you sick. It's so safe that even infants and pregnant women can take it. Don't want too much though if you dump, just a small amount. Might be able to help you better tolerate your protein if you are getting sick from that. Also, I'm assuming it works on post-ops. I haven't had any nausea since the RNY, so no need to take it. Maybe Russ knows?

Best Wishes,

Dave

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 33 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 33 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 69 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 93 views