gout after surgery????????

Theodore P.
on 2/18/09 11:19 pm - Binghamton, NY
GOUT,did anyone experience this after surgery?....if so what did you do?I have a script for it but am waiting for the surgeons office to clear it .....it is an NSAID and I am only 5 weeks out.
any and all suggestions welcome !!!!!
THANX,
TED

don't make me hungry.....you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry. - Edward Norton (attempting to speak Thia) THE HULK
cabin111
on 2/19/09 1:34 am
It's sort of is a Catch 22 you are in.  I have never had Gout...but I have high uric acid...which causes Gout...my 2 brothers have had it (runs in my family)...and I thought I would get it post WLS for sure.  It is pretty common post WLS.  Because you are losing weight quickly and have a high protein diet, these contribute to the issue.  You need the protein...to not lose muscle mass.  You also need the weightloss for all the health reasons.  Surgeons have known about this issue for years, yet they feel their patients can go through a little pain now, but come out of it much better as their weight stabilizes.  Check with your doctor, but you might want to add more things like spinach (or dark leafy green vegetables) to your diet.  Also sip sip sip.  Do not get dehydrated, it can cause kidney stones.  Sorry, don't think you'll be playing much soccer in the next few months.  Brian
PB6
on 2/19/09 2:26 am - West Valley, UT
I started to suffer from gout in a big way.  My doctors put me some medications that worked, but....................CHERRIES are the answer.  Once I started eating cherries the gout disappeared.  I now eat a few cherries in any form every day and the pain is GONE!  Try it, you have nothing to lose.
Worked for me! 

The Incredble Shrinking Man!
dragon27360
on 2/19/09 7:49 am - Thomasville, NC
I had gout pre-surgery and was on colchicine to control it.  My doctor put me on another preventative after surgery but after 6 months I'm off both meds with no issues.
You're feet will bring you to where your heart is.

Theodore P.
on 2/19/09 10:59 am - Binghamton, NY
thanx for all you r help guys I will wait and see what the doc says and take it from there (I REALLY,REALLY,REALLY hate cherries!!!!!!!!!)
THANX again,
TED

don't make me hungry.....you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry. - Edward Norton (attempting to speak Thia) THE HULK
Nightwalker225
on 2/19/09 10:50 pm, edited 2/19/09 10:50 pm - Chicago, IL
I also suffer from post-op gout. My PCP prescriped indomethacin, which is an NSAID and is known to be a big no no for us. I use it very very sparingly and always take a Prilosec or Zantac along with it to help protect the pouch. I have to say, that pill wipes out the pain completely!! Doc also prescribed Tylenol # 3 w/ codeine but that has minimul effect on gout flare ups. So far, cherries are the way to go! Good luck to you.

edit: Actually, I eat dried cherries bought at my lolcal Costco. Actually quite good.
justabrake
on 1/20/10 4:23 am
On February 19, 2009 at 7:19 AM Pacific Time, Theodore P. wrote:
GOUT,did anyone experience this after surgery?....if so what did you do?I have a script for it but am waiting for the surgeons office to clear it .....it is an NSAID and I am only 5 weeks out.
any and all suggestions welcome !!!!!
THANX,
TED
 I had spinal surgery last month and after my first walk outside I developed gout in my foot, I did have complications going under and they put me in an induced comma for 2 weeks and almost died twice but like I said whatever they did to me I developed gout after my first walk outside,  
Portland_Phil
on 9/14/10 2:30 am
Wow!  Helpful thread.

I woke up last week and could not bend my elbow at all!  No buttoning shirts, brushing teeth, etc.   Alternated ice and heat with Advil all weekend but no releif.  Went to doc yesterday and sure enough.  GOUT~! 

Rx of Indomethacin (50mg) and 24 hours later I have 60% mobility in the elbow.  VERY HAPPY!  

Phil

sillysue45
on 2/4/11 3:07 am
I've got gout.... No beef, No beans, No Cauliflower, No Oats.... Eat right and take your medicine and you can live without Middle of the night Gout attacks of pain.
Will never get back to my right weight but I need to lose a lot....

Ben H.
on 2/6/11 11:18 am - Austin, TX
 I have had slight flare ups after my surgery that started when I joined the gym and started working out a lot more frequently.  I hope it doesn't get worse cause i have never felt pain before like I have with the gout.  I share your pain and I hope it gets better for you! 

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 66 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 89 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views