Oldie feeling like a newbie all over again

Dan T.
on 6/22/11 2:44 am - Logan, UT
Been a long time since I visited the forums.

I had WLS In Oct 2008.  I weighed 427 and at my lowest last August I was at 213 and participated in a century ride in Northern Utah.

I am trying to back on track - here is a list of my problems/excuses and I need a good kick in the seat:

-Since reaching my goal of completing the century ride I have stopped excercising and I don'****ch what I eat. 
-My current weight is 240-245 and has been in that range for 3 months - seems to be my body's comfort zone
-I have gone back to sweets, I don't drink soda still (maybe 3 or 4 sodas total in 2.5 years) but i eat candy, cake, ice creams, etc

-I have 7 kids and my wife has a heart condition and recently had heart surgery, I have felt like I don't have time or energy or will power to get back on track.  Life, the economy, cold weather, etc have been weighing me down and giving me plenty of 'excuses' to not make an effort to take care of myself.
-I do have asthma and the cold long winter has made it all but impossible for me to go out and ride my bike.  Body shape and the way my flab on my chest and back hang off make it extremely difficult to jog.

All that being said I have the ability to excercise indoors - I work for a university with faculty access to a Wellness Center.  I just hate excercising in the middle of the work day. Like I said, my story is a common one, and I have avoided 'coming out' with my set backs and excuses.  I am here now with my head hung low, ready for my butt-kicking.  I would be satisfied getting active again, eating healthy, and getting my weight back to about 215 (weight charts say I should weigh between 165 and 185 for my height, but the way I am built I looked almost too thin at 215)

I did push ups and sit ups yesterday, and I am still having difficulty breathing from a cold that is lingering and if it goes away soon I will start riding again next week.

Thanks
Dan
Solon
on 6/22/11 5:21 am - Arkadelphia, AR
Man - You have been goig through this for a while now!

427 - 240 is still a great change even with all the struggles you are currently having!

For jogging - have you tried a compression vest?  I already have a couple waiting for me for after surgery (it happens next tuesday). Check it out - http://www.underworks.com/products.html Maybe it can help you with jogging if it is something you want to do!

Biking is great, so is jogging or whatever, but do you do any lifting at all?  I recommend starting weight training as it'll help your body shape out and get you burning more calories all day long rather than just while ur riding.

Try starting from phase 1 again... I know it's rough as balls, but do a week of liquid, a week of soft, and then work your way back up to eating the RIGHT FOODS. 

It all boils down to one thing man... and i'll give it to you straight:

You have 7 kids... Do you want to stay as healthy as you can and be there for them as long as you can?  Or not.... 

That'd be enough motivation for me right there.  While you're at it... teach them to eat right too... so they dont have this problem as well.  I wish my parents had.

Goodluck Bro
~ Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality.        
Dan T.
on 6/22/11 5:35 am, edited 6/22/11 5:39 am - Logan, UT
Thanks for the advice and encouragement.  I think lifting is a key area that I did in the beginning.  I used to own my own equipment for working out at home - an indoor bike and a smith machine, etc.  Then my house in AZ foreclosed and we moved to northern UT.  I couldn't take the weight lifting equipment with me, I took the indoor bike and rode it when it was too cold outside.  Then the indoor bike broke.  I am a 'home body' and detest working out at gyms.  But for my health I need to make that change - i do have free access after all to the faculty wellness center.

As for the compression suit - I may think on that one,  I do own several underarmor type shirts that I buy 1 or 2 sizes too small and they help, but if I wear them too long it causes muscle tension and headaches.  For now I think I will work on getting active again and then cut my diet back into a healthier one.

BTW ,congrats on having surgery in a week and good luck!
Don 1962
on 6/22/11 5:37 am
Welcome back you old fart!

Sounds like you understand what is amiss and what needs to be done so consider your butt kicked and get on about your business.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Dan T.
on 6/22/11 5:46 am, edited 6/22/11 5:46 am - Logan, UT
Thanks Don, and I do feel like an old fart! You can trust this fart though!
Dan

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

cabin111
on 6/22/11 6:48 am
Know where you're coming from...I hit goal of 190# and am now at 213-215.  Am well aware of the bouce back and the Carb Monster (sugar, candy, cakes, chips).  Two or three things that may work.  Ride to work, or the fitness center on the bike...Then work out at the fitness center (2 birds with 1 stone and good use of your time).  Ride after work.  Ride with the kids.  I just know after I've been on the bike (and the endorphin rush) I can face the world a whole lot better.  The problem with riding to work is if one of the kids has a problem, you need that support group (wife, family, chruch) that can be there if you are stuck with the bike.  SOOOO...Bend over, no...I'm not going to kick you.  I'll just push your rear out the door and back on your bike!!
Paul C.
on 6/23/11 12:22 am - Cumming, GA
If you like to ride but are unable to due to weather have you looked at a bike trainer as opposed to a stationary bike?  The trainer will allow you to use your bike, which if doing a century ride I will assume is a decent road bike. 

As for running, it does take some work and getting used to and the jiggly bits make it more difficult.  I use compression garments both tops and bottoms.  While a small Tshirt may seem to work the compression garment is designed to accomplish this without losing comfort.  You don't have to pay Under Armor prices, I buy mine at Kohls for about $25 a set.

As for the rest well if you have access to a fitness center at work the need for a gym is met. I understand you really don't like gyms but what do you like less workingout in a gym or regaining weight?

If you don't like working out in the afternoon go to work early and get some time in before you start work.  I know I am up at 4:15am and at the gym working out by 5:30am and do a 1.5-2 hour workout then go to work.  For me my day seems to start better hving got some good exercise in.

As for the diet well you seem to know what your problems are there and you know what to do to fix them.  One thing to remember though is that through your training you had a higher calorie demand which allowed you to eat more with little to no effect on your weight.  As you migrated away from your training if you didn't adjust your diet well as you know you were taking in un-needed calories.  A good intense training schedule gives you some freedom.

Need motivation?  Always have something you are trianing for, a 5K or even a 25mi road race.  If you are not working towards a specific goal the likelihood that you can and will find a reason to not workout increases.

Good Luck
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Dan T.
on 6/23/11 1:00 am - Logan, UT
Paul

All great advice, I am going to look into the hours of the gym and see about going in early.  We have a Kohls here and I will look into the compression garments for my top - all my jiggle is in my chest, back, stomach and upper arms. In fact I still wear a XL sometimes 2X top.

I have a trek road bike and I will also look into getting a trainer before winter this next year.

I hear you on the motivation, in fact I did have a goal to ride another century this year and run in my first 10k this fall - i should probably put those back on my calendar and start training for them.

My real issue is BALANCE - I have a few things against me here:  I am a guy and most guys are one track minded to begin with.  Like most people that have eating disorders I tend to obsess about something - so diet and excercise become ALL encompassing.  Major problem here is that my wife of 17 years knows this about me and it annoys her.  I need to learn to have moderation and not obsess.  It becomes so all consuming that it bears down on those around me.  Any advice on how to control this behavior?  Tips or tricks that help remind you that you need to relax a little? I tried relaxing 'a little' last fall after I finished the century and it put me in a slump.
Dan

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Paul C.
on 6/23/11 2:47 am - Cumming, GA
I wish I could give you some advice on the BALANCE aspect but it is something I am just not very good at.

To achieve blanace in relation to exercise vs family time well for me that is easy.  I get up at 4am and am on the gym flooring working out by 530.  This leaves my evenings as family time unless I have a karate class or meeting.

As for the Diet well I am working on that one.  I have the problem were I actually do not take in enough calories so I have one more thing to obsess over.  In my mind I fight the battle Don't eat that it is 200 calories when the reality is I probably need 600-800 more calories it is just a mofo to workout in your mind.  I typically do my best when I am not logging my food.  I have gotten in the habit lately because my training is going to be increasing and I will be meeting with my NUT for guidance and need to give her a good idea of what I do daily.

I have found one thing that works for me in relation to my calories is I let my wife prepare my dinners usually, this way I eat what she gives me until I am full.  If I make my plate it is exactly 4oz of meat a 1/4 of veg nothing else.

The thing I try to work on daily is to know that I now live a more athletic lifestyle and I must fuel my body burning 1300 calories at the gym means I need to eat more calories.  This again is very hard to wrap your mind around. Having gone our lives with people saying Exercise more Eat Less I am now at a point where I have people saying eat more or that I may exercise to much.

I do know for me and my wife that the frustrations become worth it when I cross a finish line after a race with a new PR or finish a race of a distance I have never done.  Small things like 1 5k a month have made the obsessing much easier to deal with.

Good Luck
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Michael P.
on 6/23/11 7:13 am
Hey Paul, I love reading about where you are now and mentally battling your now athletic lifestyle with old demons of weight loss philosophies competing simultaneously.  Crazy, what we do to ourselves mentally...  You continue to inspire me with reports of your races.  Keep posting and more importantly keep up the good work!! Thanks!

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
4/15/12:  First 5K - BAA 5K - PR 35:49
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 21 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 21 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 52 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 76 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In