Progress.......a wonderful thing!!

stoney5150
on 3/30/12 6:10 am
RNY on 03/26/12
Well surgery Monday and feeling pretty good on Friday!! You guys are RIGHT.........it does get a little better everyday. I have to say wednesday night was the toughest but not because of anything major just mostly trying to get get off the pain meds and finding the right dose to sleep which I did and Thursday morning was like a whole new me. I kept remembering Ken's comment about getting past the "what did I get myself into stage" which for me was only one night remedied by a good nights sleep. 
Anyway, things are good today. Should hit my mark on protein today since the shakes are going down nicely now. Drinking water all the time and seem to be staying on top of that. Took a nice walk around the driveway and yard last night which felt good. 

A few things I had that were advertised..................lots of gas on 3rd & 4th day but today it's about 75% less. Some shoulder pain from the blow up gas but not too bad. Still a little adominal discomfort but being able to lay in bed on my sides was the best!! Overall nothing out of the ordinary.

One last thing and it's for the newbies with upcoming RNY's I was freaking about the foley cath deal before surgery mostly because I never had one before but I gotta say I was so thankful I had one after the surgery because that was one less thing to worry about and it wasn't bad getting it taken out plus I was asleep when they put it in.

Thanks for all the support!
Stoney  
kenhud1
on 3/30/12 6:50 am - Houston, TX
Glad to hear things are going well. Just remember you're going to have ups and downs through this journey no matter how easily you go through the initial recovery and honeymoon period. I can tell you not to get frustrated with things, but it won't help. It didn't help me to be told. Looking back, it was just bumps in the road, although at the time I would have thought it was the end of the world.

KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Andrew L.
on 3/30/12 1:22 pm - Klamath Falls, OR
RNY on 04/11/12
Thank you for the post, my date is a week and a half away and these type of posts are very usefull.
ACLakey's Bariatric Blog

Highest Weight 06/2011 = 370
Weight at Surgery 04/11/2012 = 328.8
Goal Weight = 230

Brian K.
on 3/31/12 7:40 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Whoa! Nobody said anything about a catheter! May need to rethink this...
dan434
on 4/1/12 2:08 am - NJ
RNY on 05/22/12
how tuff was the catheter and how does it work?
stoney5150
on 4/1/12 4:32 am
RNY on 03/26/12
Not bad at all. They put a small rubber tube up your pecker while your asleep and then up to your bladder and then they hook it to a bag that hangs on the side of the bed where the pee trains into. It was nice the first day after surgery not trying to use a urinal and then they took it out the next morning. Sounds like not all docs have them put in but mine does for all RNY's. I wanted to get up sooner but they didn't get me up until 4 hours after surgery.
OneFinger
on 4/1/12 3:30 am, edited 4/1/12 3:30 am
My surgeon didn't use a cath on me (thank goodness). I think it differs from hospital to hospital and doctor to doctor.

Had no problems in the hospital getting the water works to flow. The hospital really encouraged me to be up, out of bed, and walking the halls as soon as possible. In fact, I was out of surgery by noon and walking the halls by two hours later.

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 33 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 33 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 69 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 93 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 103 views