Hemorrhoids...and treatment...

lesserman
on 4/27/12 11:57 am - Chicago, IL
Since this is the Men's Forum, I'll not be particularly concerned about being indelicate...

I had a killer BM yesterday (I felt so good afterward, but yes, there was some blood in the stool as I am pretty sure that it tore some tissure on it's way out, it was so hard...may need to begin to take softener) however, today I have a hemorrhoid. It isn't so large yet that it's causing any serious discomfort, I just know that it's there...

Since we, as bariatric surgery patients, are not supposed to take any OTC medication that reduces inflammation (NSAIDs, even though reducing the inflammed tissue is exactly what's needed), what it the recommended treatment?

Anyone else been where I am?

If so, I'd appreciate your insight...thanks so much in advance.

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

OneFinger
on 4/27/12 4:14 pm, edited 4/27/12 4:14 pm
I learned early on that a stool softener is your best friend after surgery. My doc also suggested a fiber supplement. I take a Fiber Choice tablet daily.

It's not at all uncommon for your bowels to react to your surgery.

Another help I've found is to drink China Slim Tea. This is an herbal tea that I pick up at my local Asian market (or from Amazon). The China Slim Tea really loosens your bowels and you should really stick close to the can until you get used to the effects.

My body has now adjusted to China Slim Tea and when I start feeling stopped up, I have a a couple of cups and within 6-8 hours I'm back to "normal" soft stools.

I've also found that air travel really affects me. So, I also make sure to take a couple of tea bags with me to help me get regulated while traveling.

I know we're not supposed to take NSAIDs because of the affect on the pouch. But have you tried a topical ointment for the hemmorrhoid? That might provide some relief without hurting the pouch. But, IMHO, the best thing to do is keep your stools loose and avoid giving birth to a hard log.

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
lesserman
on 4/27/12 9:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Thank you for the info...that is helpful....will try the tea!

Topical treatment is what I had in mind, like a Preparation-H, but since it has anti-inflammatory properties (and I'm thinking that's because it contains NSAIDs) and is eventually absorbed into the system that it is not a recommended treatment...but, hell, sometimes one just has to decide which is the least bad option...

Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

kenhud1
on 4/27/12 11:05 pm - Houston, TX
I haven't had the hemorrhoid issue (hell I can't even spell it, much less suffer from it), but I will tell you that you will need to learn to regulate your bowels medicinally. What has worked for me is 3 Colace stool softeners daily plus a dose of Miralax each evening. I use the generics for both and for the Colace I do not use the one with the laxative additive. This combination seems to keep me regular, although I'd prefer somewhat firmer stool (now who is being indelicate?). But since this is less objectionable than being constantly constipated, I'm not rocking the boat.

I tried Milk of Magnesia, and got fair results, but overall the Colace and Miralax seems better for me. Even the generic Miralax is somewhat expensive - Walmart's brand is about $11 for a 30 dose bottle - but it is effective. And, after all, how much is a happy ass worth?
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

lesserman
on 4/28/12 12:31 am - Chicago, IL
 A happy and pain-free ass is damn near priceless...granted, there will still always be those who are a pain IN the ass, but that cannot be avoided...
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Don 1962
on 4/28/12 12:32 am, edited 4/28/12 3:26 am
Felt about like you were trying to pass a beer can out of your ass?  BTDT  No 'roids here but did have an anal fissure at one point.  Good ol' Preperation H helps.

ETA:  You might want to stay away from a digital exam till it calms down!!  

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

lesserman
on 4/28/12 12:47 pm - Chicago, IL
Don:

What's BTDT and ETA (I'm guessing that it's not Estimated Time of Arrival)?

Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Don 1962
on 4/28/12 3:09 pm
Been There Done That
Edited To Add

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Brian K.
on 4/28/12 2:25 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 I've been a fan of the Prep H suppositories or another brand that has Hydrocortizone in it. Wiki tells us that there is other stuff in it you may want to consult with your doctor about:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preparation_H
docd
on 4/30/12 4:11 am, edited 4/30/12 4:11 am - AZ
high protein low fat/carb diets can clog up the tubes!

a scoop of good old metamucil at night regularly, one in the morning if things seem "too firm"

mag citrate when the dam needs to be broken

LOL

above all stay hydrated!!!
"Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!"

highest weight : 428   Banded 11/3/2011 surgery weight : 386
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 18 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In