Guerilla food and stealth dumping....

lesserman
on 5/16/12 1:10 pm - Chicago, IL
...UGH!!

Well, if nothing else, I'm learning which "real foods" seem to hate me...or at least my pouch...or maybe my pouch hates most ot the "real foods" I've been introducing lately...

Someone in another post (I can't remember if it is on this board or the RNY forum) that they would like to know the foods that others have struggled with eating...here's mine thus far:

Boca Burgers (Vegan variety)
Krave jerky (turky and pork)
Oberto turkey jerky

On the other hand, I had an eye-opening experience today at lunch.

There was a farewell luncheon (catered) for our interim president and CEO. Most of the fare was pasta with various tomato sauces, green salads, fresh fruit and ("...leave the gun - take the...") cannolli (which I, wisely, I believe) passed up...found out that the penne with marinara topped with grated parmesan cheese went down really, really well (which may or may not be a blessing/curse). I thought that I would have a difficult time putting away even maybe a quarter of what I had served myself...but I was able to eat it all, plus the fruit and the lettuce salad but not a bite more...did not feel overfull at all...

Had a Quest bar later in the afternoon....several hours after that in the evening during the drive home, I had a little Oberto turkey jerky and ti tasted great...but about an hour later, I got that feeling that tells me not quite everything is okey-dokey...began to cough up the slime that tastes exactly like what I had most recently eaten....an occasional heave...and after a while I was done...now, I'm slowly replacing fluid that I probably lost due to that episode and it's staying down just fine...

Boy, I'm learning a LOT!!

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

Charlie S.
on 5/16/12 10:13 pm
Sounds to me like you have just learned one of your "slider" foods (pasta) and got to experience what some call the "slimeys".  Both are a live and learn experience.

At least you are figuring it out and knowing where to tread in the future!

Keep up the good work!!!

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

Mike R.
on 5/16/12 10:28 pm - Warner Robins, GA
Yeah, the devilish simple carbs do go down easy.  Simply, simple carbs are mostly white in color - pasta, rice, bread, potato, sugar, etc.  If you partake of the grains, then choose the whole grain variety - whole wheat pasta & bread, brown rice.  Choose sweet potato instead of white (higher in fiber).  Choose no-cal sugar substitutes like Splenda, Stevia, etc.  As far as the jerky goes, any protein that is dry will be difficult to tolerate at least for the 1st 18 months.  White meat chicken is similar.  Good luck!

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

Brian K.
on 5/16/12 10:51 pm - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
Lman,

I am surprised you are able to take in much volume this early. A couple bites and I am done. I plan on avoiding the bad stuff after I get off mushy foods, even though my nut says I can eat anything I can tolerate. It is very much a total lifestyle change, old habits and old foods that made me morbidly obese are history.
Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
lesserman
on 5/17/12 3:07 am - Chicago, IL
 ...as am I! Alarmed, really...it's why I stopped after I had finished my only servings...

On most other foods, I AM full/finished after about 2 or 3 bites...
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Michael P.
on 5/17/12 10:23 pm
 Just curious.  Are you chewing all of your food to MUSH before you swallow?  I have found that I can eat most anything which wasn't fried or doughy (bread) (even early on after surgery) if I took my time, chewed to mush and made sure that it wasn't dry.  A problem with the jerky is that you can eat it pretty mindlessly and get yourself into trouble.  Slow and steady keeps you out of intestinal discomfort!!  Add a sugar free ketchup, mustard, lite mayo or something with it to make sure that it isn't dry, dry, dry...  Good Luck

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
4/15/12:  First 5K - BAA 5K - PR 35:49
lesserman
on 5/18/12 3:42 am - Chicago, IL
Thank you for the tip in re: sugar-free ketchup, et al., Michael P. I will try that when I next re-introduce those foods back into my diet!
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 25 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 25 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 56 views