New Guy on the Block

daddygelp
on 8/18/15 6:24 am

Good morning! Been lurking for a bit on the forums just to get a feel for the type of posts and feedback people are getting. Seems to be a great support system! A little about me: been overweight as long as I can remember. Am now 52 years old. Currently, I am 6'2" and 383. Highest I have ever been is 410. I have 2 beautiful kids age 7 and 9 and a wonderful wife. Have been thinking about WLS surgery for quite a while but the cost has been the biggest hinderance. My health insurance in the past has not covered it. However, a year ago, my company was bought by a very large corporation that has a incredible medical plan. It even covers skin removal. Insurer is Blue Cross of Alabama.

I have seen the good and bad side of WLS. My wife had RNY almost 9 years ago. Unfortunately, she has gained most of the weight back. Her stubbornness and other factors have played into the weight gain. My mother, on the other hand, had WLS probably 5 years ago and has done great. So, I feel I know the ins and outs of things like dumping, vitamin loss, etc to be aware of what not to do and what to avoid.

I am completing my six-month dietary supervision and have one more visit early in September with my PCP and then everything gets sent to Blue Cross for review. I am meeting with the surgeon for the first time this Thursday to discuss my surgery. I am undecided yet as to either have the RNY or the sleeve. Any help in that area would be appreciated! I know that it's a deeply personal decision for everyone but I am interested in what the guy on this forum have to say.

That's my story and I look forward interacting more with everyone. Thanks!

steve_c
on 8/18/15 9:25 am
RNY on 08/12/15

Good luck, daddygelp! I went with RNY for two reasons: 1) My doctor recommended for a guy my size (500+) at time of surgery and 2) There's decades of RNY data to look at, while only a few years of sleeve results to study. I've read both great things about the sleeve and bad things as well. 

I'm sure both procedures can change your life. The real wild card in the mix is your commitment to the plan. And from what you are writing here, it seems like you'll be just fine.

Keep us updated...

Grim_Traveller
on 8/18/15 2:02 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Nice to meet you. I was about your height, weight, and age at surgery, and have nothing but good things to say. It's good that you have a couple of firsthand examples to go by as you head in to surgery.

As far as which surgery, both will yield about the same weight loss results. If you have any issues with GERD, I'd avoid the sleeve. Otherwise, talk to a couple of surgeons and get their opinion before deciding.

Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

cabin111
on 8/18/15 2:45 pm

Welcome!!  A few thoughts on which surgery...Your surgeon's thoughts should come into play quite a bit...They see and know what is needed and why.  Things like IBS, GERD, NSAID, allergies come into play.  I like the RNY myself.  It seems that the older you are, and the more you have to lose, the surgeons push the RNY more...In general.  Both surgeries can be successful.  You tend to lose more weight quickly with the RNY...And you have put a lot of pressure on your heart and kidneys for many many years...That comes into play.  Eating patterns, avoiding simple carbs, and some type of exercise all come into play no matter which surgery you choose.  Just going to the local support group...Seeing who is at or near normal weight.  The ones who have done those 3 things above (eating right, avoiding simple carbs, exercise) are the ones who look good and healthy...Not rocket science.  Good luck on your journey.  Brian

Don 1962
on 8/19/15 3:29 am

Welcome and continue doing your research till you are comfortable with your decision.  Your opting for surgery may get the Mrs. back on the "straight and narrow" and get her regain off too.

daddygelp
on 8/19/15 5:57 am

Thanks for all the positive vibes! I'll clue you all in once I have my meeting tomorrow morning. Getting excited but also approaching it with some trepidation. For some reason, my biggest worry is the loose skin. I have read that compression gear helps. Do you guys have any experience with that. I know that issue is down the road a bit so I have some time to do some more research.

Don 1962
on 8/19/15 3:04 pm

Compression gear helps but guys tend not to be as vain about it as the gals but by all means if you are getting infections, it gets in the way of exercising or urination, then yes you'll want to pursue the body work.  I was fortunate in that as one plastic surgeon put it I had "deflated well".  While he would do the work it was his opinion that unless really I wanted to endure the pain and I could not live with what I had fine.  Otherwise why bother.  That's been six plus years.

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 8/19/15 6:34 pm
VSG on 03/16/15

welcome aboard. Like others have said here, do your research and you will come to your decision.  I was afraid of any surgery, but it was one of the best things I ever did for myself. Keep posting and join in on all the fun. I look forward to watching your journey. 

Eric

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

daddygelp
on 8/24/15 4:55 am

So I saw the surgeon on Friday and he seems like a really nice guy. Very straightforward but extremely helpful as well. He described both the sleeve and the bypass to me and after looking at my current state of health, we have decided on the bypass. Mainly because of my Type II diabetes and my acid reflux. He has said that with the bypass, there is a very good chance that I will be cured of the diabetes. He said the 3 out 4 of his patients no longer have diabetes when they have the bypass. Plus, the sleeve would quite possibly make my GERD worse. So, that is the plan of attack. I have one more visit with my PCP early next month and then everything gets sent off to insurance for approval.

Weird that it looks like it is finally going to happen. I indulged in a fantasy yesterday and started looking at mens' wear sites for guys who are "normal" size. I plan to have me a pair of Bill's Khakl's!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/24/15 7:14 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It sounds like the right choice. Many people have had to revise from VSG to RNY because of GERD -- one operation is enough. Keep us posted on your process.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 66 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 89 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views