Checking in again...

Joshua H.
on 7/8/16 11:24 am
VSG on 10/26/16

Hello all -

I wandered by a few months ago asking a bunch of questions about surgeries and pulmonary emboli, and just thought I'd stop back by and check in and update what's going on.

I talked to my PCP and asked her if it is time that I consider surgical alternatives to weight loss.  Her reply was along the lines of "I don't normally like to recommend WLS, but in your case we have worked on this a long time and I think it might be a good idea to look into it."  She then gave me the names of a couple surgeons that she has sent patients to.  The second name she said "he is kind of rough around the edges, but this is where all the doctor's wives go for surgery."

His office has a once monthly seminar that is the jumping off point for the surgery -- you get a bunch of information and forms to fill out (should you like to move forward).  The first one I couldn't go to because of a work trip.  The second I couldn't go because my wife had work obligations (which left me as Mr. Mom).  Finally, I was able to attend on 7/6.

I came armed with all the difficult questions I was going to ask, and the doctor tricked me by answering them all during the seminar...

• What's your mortality rate? National average is 0.25%, they have one over their last 3000.
  • What's your complication rate? Nation average is (I forget), they are at about 1%
  • How long have you been doing this? Over 20 years
  • What sort of post-surgical followup do you do?  Detailed information provided.

They provided a packet with every we need to get started.  Lab request form.  Patient packet to fill out.  Pre-consult quiz about WLS.  Form for PCP to fill out about managed weight loss attempts.  Form about all dieting attempts (managed or not).

Looks like the ball is in my court now.  

Qajohn
on 7/8/16 11:48 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Lots of hoops to jump through. It seems like a PIA, but its important that you have the speed bumps in the road to think about the decision. once you've made up your mind that this is the solution, and you have jumped through the hoops, your set up for success!!

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 7/9/16 5:24 am
VSG on 03/16/15

It is great you are getting all the information to make a big time decision.  I researched for over 12 years after having one sister in law do it. Then I finally made up my mind that everything I have tried and I was currently doing wasn't working, so this was it. Once you get that point you will know. Keep reading and you will have to make the call. I would do it again tomorrow. 

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

Joshua H.
on 7/14/16 1:58 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

Faxed off the first of my paperwork this morning.  Need to get labs next week.  Then wait for the call to schedule the doc/shrink/nutritionist visit.

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 66 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 89 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views