Anybody had any experience w/ ED or lowered sex drive after surgery?

DuttonCPA
on 3/29/17 1:40 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 07/01/16

I have not experienced any decrease in drive. However 2 of my favorite "non-scale-victories" are the ability to urinate standing up and the increased length of my penis due to the large amount of fat that has gone away around it!

Jester
on 3/31/17 7:36 am
RNY on 03/21/16

Yes, absolutely. I have had a gradually diminishing sex drive that pretty much bottomed out at ZERO 4-6 months after surgery (I am now 12 months post-op). The lack of sex drive was not my biggest concern as I was focused on so much else in my life and with my health. However, starting at about 10 months post-op I started experiencing other, possibly related, issues. My main complaint was fatigue - not fatigue as in I'm tired and need to sleep, but where I just always felt like my muscles were EXHAUSTED, and it was hard to motivate myself to do anything physical (and I mean anything, like getting up from a chair). In addition, I found myself a little more cranky/irritable than usual.

I made an appointment with my PCP for earlier this week and asked her to check for Low T. She had labs done, including low T as well as all the other usual suspects (Iron Levels, Vitamin B, Vitamin D, etc).

I just got my results back yesterday, everything is fine except Testosterone. Minimum levels from my lab are 240 (from reading online, often 300 or 350 is the low threshold) and mine clocked in at 199. So I now have an appointment with a urologist in a few weeks (yeah, almost a month to get an appointment) to start a treatment plan.

When I started having these issues I could find NOTHING online related to a decrease in testosterone due to weight loss or bariatric surgery. In fact, all google searches tend to result in the EXACT OPPOSITE, so it was tough to get any information. But it was definitely the case for me. I had none of these issue at all prior to surgery/weight loss.

I would also be concerned that you have these complaints and your PCP is saying it's in your head without even running a simple lab to rule out an underlying issue. I mean, maybe it is in your head, but it doesn't take much to find out if it's not. I would be a bit pissed about that.

Most Active
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 13 views
Recent Topics
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 13 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 50 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 66 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 89 views