10 years, was it a success? How to get back on track?

Dan T.
on 10/29/18 11:53 am - Logan, UT

This week was my 10 year anniversary.

I have not been exercising or watching what I eat now for years. It was an email in my inbox and several discussions with my wife that brings me back around.

Life has been a roller coaster. I was on SS Disability and walked with a cane from 2012 to 2016. I was (and still) deal with severe nerve pain in my back, neck and extremities. I went back to school in 2013. I went back to work in 2016. 3 months ago I finished my bachelors.

4 weeks ago I started my masters degree and got a job promotion.

My oldest is married and has 2 kids. My second oldest is in the Marine Corps. Our 3rd oldest is starting college in a few months.

My health has not been the greatest. My wife still has a heart condition and recently found out she has had a mild stroke. All of the health scares and my weight have been concerns for years. We finally decided to get back on track.

I currently weigh 286 :( - doctors would still consider this a success as my heaviest was 427. I would like to get back down to 200 and to start exercising.

My body hurts all the time, I go to work to take care of my family, but I am miserable sitting, standing, and laying. At one point in 2012 I was addicted to pain medication. I had to go cold turkey off of all of it and suffered withdrawals for 6 weeks.

I could use motivation and advice. I feel old at just 45 years of age. I want to feel younger and have a fuller life and to enjoy working and playing again.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Don 1962
on 10/30/18 3:52 pm

Nice to see you back!

82much
on 11/4/18 9:53 am
VSG on 11/28/16

Nice to meet you Dan.

This month will mark my two yer anniversary. I tell you I am scared ****less about regain. I am up about 3 or 4 pounds from my lowest.

I come here to fess up my sins and weekly Sunday weigh in. I am hoping the accountability will help keep me on target.

-bob

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/18 10:53 am
cabin111
on 11/5/18 9:22 am, edited 11/5/18 1:23 am

A lot of what you said has been and is me. I had a high of about 300 pounds. Got down to about 190 after surgery. Regained to about 235...Had a second heart attack. That one woke me up. Also the doctor said I was retaining fluid. It became either lose the weight or die young...My choice. I've had a bad back since 1984. They wanted to do surgery...But I just have put it off. Hope to die of a heart attack rather than surgery. What has help with my back is to lose weight (going below 200 pounds). The difference for me (207 to 197) is going from a pain level of 3-4 to 1-2. Also doing the physical therapy that I went through. By doing the exercises it has helped with the pain...Just me. I think with the new insurance you can do another round of PT every year. Go to a different PT offices and see if their exercises help. Riding a tricycle might work too. Yeah, you have to swallow your pride on that one...I was almost in tears one time. Saw a woman about 300 pounds on an adult trike. It was like..."Forget what society says...I'm doing this for me"!!

The other thing is just getting the "junk food" out of the house. If Pepsi or chips are your trigger food...Keep them further than arms length. The office and food is a BIG issue!! The birthdays, the lunches, the holidays can kill you. Can you walk during your lunch hours? Bring your own lunch? Get with others who can walk and try it. Swimming may help. But it begins with the food. I make a crock pot stew...Freeze 80% of it for later...Vegetables, meat, and spices.

My last thought is elastic bands. If you are limited it what you can do check into them...Very cheap. Can be found at any sporting goods store, Ebay, or Amazon. Here are a couple examples of the work outs;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKrcoO86h4&t=199s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou0n5aO_K9Y

Forget what these people's bodies look like...Just do the exercises. Start slow...Build up to it. Good luck, Brian

Dan T.
on 11/5/18 9:40 am - Logan, UT

Thanks for the replies to everyone!

Brian, I really can not thank you enough for sharing your story and words of encouragement.

Food at the office is difficult. I find that time and money are my mortal enemies for all things in my life. Staying healthy is one of those things.

I have mentioned that I have 7 kids, we also have 2 grand kids. I just started school again full time. I work full time. I barely have enough money to pay the bills. Healthy food is expensive. Going to Drs is expensive too. Other projects include fixing my own vehicles to save money, doing my own home repairs to save money. My house is a dump and I am always fixing something. My 2nd oldest is in the military and often when I sit down to do my homework he calls.

I can't say no to any of these things, so I reach for convenience! Every. Single. Time.

Planning meals, shopping, preparing them - I haven't been the best at taking time for these things.

Until recently I was so rushed for time all the time (I just finished my Bachelor's in July) that I would get up early, do school work, go to work early, get off work early, do more school work, and fill in the gaps with whatever else was needed. My wife also spent 2 weeks in the hospital in June. I didn't take time to go back to the Dr to refill meds for my blood pressure - I feel out of control sometimes.

My wife and I are now both tracking what we eat. Once I get in a routine with my new school schedule and we start feeling better from eating better we will incorporate exercise. We have also both been better about going to the Dr. She ended up in the hospital with sepsis because she didn't want to spent money going to the Dr for an infection. It was when she was there she found out from scans that she had had a stroke in her past. Little miracles that keep nudging us to get healthy and spend some time and money on ourselves so we can stick around longer and enjoy life with our beautiful family.

I just need to stay on track with this simple plan and get back in the groove and add to it a little bit at a time.

Thanks again everyone!

Dan

Dan

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 19 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 19 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 51 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 75 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 90 views