I may be crazy...

Candigirl23
on 6/8/11 1:27 am
SO... I am not completely crazy, but I feel like it! I was diagonsed OCD and Bi-polar before surgery. Today, two months post surgery I feel like I am on a roller coaster and no one else understands. I am upset that once a month, for a week I don't lose any weight. I stand on the scale and just want to cry. I have lost 38 lbs since my April 6th surgery, and I know that pre-surgery it took me 6 months to lose that, but I feel like 30,000.00 and not being able to eat what I want when I want... I deserve better results. I do not eat bread or other carbs. I eat meat and drink my protein drinks. I take my vitamins and drink my water! 

I am going to be really mad if I spent all this time and money to be thin and I never get there! I also will be really mad if I stay fat, but can't eat like I am fat! UGH!!!!

~ THE BEST IS YET TO BE ~

Patricia R.
on 6/8/11 12:53 pm - Perry, MI
You are perfectly normal at this point in your recuperation.  Stalls are normal, especially if you still get your period.  Even if you don't, stalls are perfectly normal.  Up your exercise, or change it. 

Also, during our period of rapid weight loss, our bodies release hormones that were stored in the fat, and those hormones can cause a roller coaster of emotions. 

Make a graph of your weight loss, and track it.  Also, take your measurements and see if, even during your stalls, you are losing inches. 

Talk to your psychiatrist about adjusting your meds at this time to help you deal with the roller coaster ride you are on. 

Try to find a face to face support group for post-ops, because that is where you will find a ton of feedback about where you are right now.  Everyone goes through stalls.  You are totally normal in that.

As for not being able to eat what you want, try to treat yourself to some sugar free chocolate pudding, or Klondike makes No Sugar Added ice cream bars that are decadent.  Also, journal your feelings when you get upset about not being able to eat anything you like. 

Have faith in yourself and your surgery.  I can attest to the fact that it was worth the effort.  I lost 100 pounds.  I no longer have to take cholesterol medication.  Nor am I prediabetic.  My blood sugars have been excellent since my surgery.  I no longer have sleep apnea either.  I have not reached my goal, but I am back to losing, after a relapse with alcohol and some weight gain as a result.

I hope this helps.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

sjbob
on 6/11/11 7:09 am - Willingboro, NJ
 Follow Patricia's advice.  Be grateful that you were able to get WLS.  And, give yourself time.  Recovery does take a lifetime.  You already know that you will have your chronic mental problems for the rest of your life.  I assume that you are getting treatment for them and you have accepted that fact.  Losing weight due to the WLS will change how you are able to move around and it may change how you feel.  Then, again, the changes you feel may not be what you would have thought they would be.  I am manic-depressive and have been for almost 25 years that I'm aware of--I was probably suffering from it for 40 years at least but didn't know it.  I was super morbidly obese when I had the RNY and now I'm only morbidly obese.  I have other problems that the WLS simply is not going to cure.

Accept yourself as you are and love yourself as a worthy person on a daily basis.  Yes, you can continue to lose weight but should look at that as a long term project.  In the short-term, practice the proper way of eating that you have not been following for years.  This is your chance to learn a new way of eating.  If you need help with a journal and with planning how to cope with these changes, get a copy of Judith Beck, PhD's book, the Beck Diet Solution Weight Loss Workbook.  You do not need any of her other books.  This book gives you 42 lessons to follow to learn how to eat properly.  She askd that you follow them in succession without skipping any.  Then you can decide which ones you will incorporate into your life.  This involves a lot of writing, so I suggest that you buy notebooks -- any type from a store -- and write in the notebooks rather than in the workbook itself.  You'll be doing parts of theis workbook over and over again throughout
your life.  Remember that you only have today..  Work your program a day at a time.  Sometimes I have to go an hour at a time.  

Good luck, and Contact me through OH if you need any help with the book.  Bob

dreakixxes
on 7/20/11 10:02 am - Raymond, NH
RNY on 03/05/12

Hello
I kind of know how your feeling. About 5 years ago i was diagonsed with Bi polar. I have not yet had my surgery due to the fact that i cant seem to loss the post op weight. Everyone tells me its just cause of all the meds im on. I think because of the stress of losing weight has put on me i have jumped on that roller coaster your on. My weight goes up and down. I am sure its just has something to do with our meds and having bi polar. If you ever need to vent or anything like that just give me a call. Always open to talking with someone who deals with what i deal with daily!!
I do think you will get there... if it wouldnt happen they wouldnt of done the surgery. Now a days they know so much and would know if it wasnt going to happen.

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 718 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 702 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 926 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1633 views