an addict is still an addict

Carol S.
on 6/22/04 1:38 am - Lake Worth, FL
i stopped smoking cold turkey in 1981 and didn't pick it up again until 5 months after surgery. i think i am nuts. i have done the patch and it helped a lot but now i am smoking again and i hate everything about it, especially myself for trading one addiction for another. if i had any money, i would have liked to have traded for a shopping addiction. i know the only way for me to do it is to just stop and not buy any. the tricks i have been using like leaving cigs in the car or only smoking at work where everyone else smokes, doesn't work. last weekend when i knew i would be completely alone, i bought a pack to "keep me company" how is that any different than pre surgery i would buy cake/candy to keep me company. HELP!
kmkad
on 6/30/04 3:56 am - Randolph, NJ
Carol - I'm new to this site and just realized this forum was available. It doesn't look like many folks come here. I'm a recovery alcoholic (17 years), caffeine addict (10 years), nicotine addict (15 years), work addict, relationship addict and of course ... last but not least food addict. As you say - an addict is an addict. I had less trouble with letting go of nicotine than I did caffeine and absolute no success with letting go of food! I was to have surgery today - but it has been moved 3 times in the last week! I'm restless, irritable and discontent. Can you relate? Kim
Carol S.
on 6/30/04 4:49 am - Lake Worth, FL
Kim, it was good to hear about your struggles and successes and pretty soon you will have another success - WLS -. i wish you much success in your future. your strength overcoming so many obstacles will keep getting stronger. When I had lost 100 lbs. my son wrote me a wonderful email. while others congratulated me on my weight loss, he was able to convey his admiration for my courage and strength, etc. Some people never have to struggle, others don't even try but people like us keep on keeping on, it takes what it takes, and all those other 12 step program words. be strong, the waiting/delays are horrible; my surgery was originally 8/15 and that was the big east coast blackout so i was rescheduled until 9/3. for a split moment i thought along the lines that God thought my surgery would go better if i had it postponed then I realized that I am really not that significant to have a massive blackout caused to benefit me...lol... good luck as you start on the next chapter in your life. let me know how u make out carol
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 704 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 695 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 916 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1618 views