Need to keep the Monster in the Closet

Cassandra M.
on 8/9/04 7:27 am - Chester, PA
OK. I'm addicted to food. That causes me concern since I am pre-op since I will still be battling this addiction post-op. But there's another "monster" hiding in my closet. I'm also addicted to spending money. I have tried Debtors Anonymous (DA) and it has helped but I am certainly not cured. Here's the problem. If I have the surgery and start losing weight, I'm worried about letting my spending addiction out of the closet. If I lose 100 pounds, there's no way I'll be able to resist the temptation to buy an entirely new wardrobe. As long as I'm overweight, I don't do much shopping and I don't feel compulsive when I do shop. Perhaps I don't feel that this big body is worthy of new things. I know that this sight has a "clothing exchange" but I can't imagine that will keep me from wanting to have new clothes. Is there anybody out there who is losing weight post-op and spending more and more on apparel? It would be helpful to know that I'm not alone. Thanks!
Donie
on 9/20/04 5:39 am - Kansas City, MO
I'm not so much addicted to spending but I am addicted to the WalMart clearance racks.... Since I have lost 100 lbs in 5 months it is difficult now to go to any store and NOT look at the clearance racks. I'm so used to not being able to buy clothes anywhere but at 'big girl' stores that now I have a hard time not buying everything that fits me! I was blessed in the fact that my Mom & 2 sisters had this surgery before me & I got some great hand me downs.... the trouble now is we are all about the same size & there are little to no hand me downs now. It will be difficult but you will conquer it. You might also see if there is a local support group who has clothing exchanges. The one here in KC MO area has one every three months. It's great to be able to trade clothes and since I know I am not at my goal I don't mind wearing other folks clothes for a while..... grin... it's better than going nekked eh? Donie P Lap RNY 4/5/04 364 Heavies/318/215/185ish
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/05 12:55 am - SC
I am addicted to spending as well. However, with that being said, it would never prevent me from making the decision to have this surgery. Don't let your addiction cripple you. Work on making better spending choices. Get a budget. I like to shop and I put things in my buggy. Before I check out, and even as I check out, I ask myself, "Do I really NEED this item...can I live without it??" Most times I don't need it and I can live without it. It is just like any other addiction. Day by day, moment by moment and none of us will ever be perfect. Find someone to be accountable to. Maybe a spouse, parent or friend can work with you on your checking and help you stick to your allowances. Good luck! Marsha
Terri M.
on 8/24/05 1:15 pm - Henrietta, NY
Cassandra, I, too, have a problem spending. I've always noticed that when I'm in control of my eating, I spend too much money. When I have that under control, that is when the binging starts. I"m working on getting a date set for my surgery, but I took care of the spending by going to Consumer Credit Counseling and having them take over my credit card bills. I closed out all of my accounts and only use my debit card now. If the money isn't there, I can't spend it. (I am strapped with these bills for the next 4 1/2 years but after that I'll be debt free.) It has worked for about six months now by keeping me from shopping all the time. I don't know if this helps you or not, but I kind of compare turning my bills over to them and cancelling my cards to this surgery. Drastic, but making it harder for me to continue the behavior. Good luck to you. Life can be rough but we can also learn from our struggles. God bless. P.S. When I really feel the need to shop, I go to the dollar store and give myself a ten dollar splurge. You'd be surprised at how that helps!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 710 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 698 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 921 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1626 views