Lap Band Revision which surgery to choose help plz MGB or DS

living_on_the_edge
on 4/17/10 10:07 am - Calgary, Canada
Hi Fellows,,

I am 25 years old 5'10". I have had lap band done in my country here in Canada just a little over a year ago.I was 260 lbs when i got the band i went down to 160lbs wasnt easy a lot of vomitting and everything that comes with the band.Another unfortunate thing is that i learned how to cheat the band its very easy a one just need to have fluids while you eat.I tried really hard not to over eat but with the band you never feel full its only pain that cause you to stop now i have developed another problem that it really hurts to eat solids so i only eat mushies even after 4 defills.

So my conclusion is to have a revision as band causing alot of pain and eating disorder and because of that i have gained some pounds and i am 178lbs now.
I personally like the MGB and the information thats available out there about MGB but the only thing i am scared off that i am only 178lbs if i do get MGB i could die with excess weight loss but i wouldnt want sleeve because i know i will not do good with ibecause my stomach is monster i can eat all day and can gain 40 lbs in a month no problem.My weight is uncontrolable
Part of my question is which surgery should i get or should i wate untill i gain a lot of weight which i am gaining very rapidly now,because the only thing goes down easily is ice cream cookies milk carbs.
my other question is to MGB ers out there if i get MGB and i do loose 40 lbs or wht so ever can i change my eating habbits not too loose any more as i have lost a lot with the band.
Please help me i have been crying over nights because of my situation and all my family depends on me i dnt want to do any stupid decision rather than informative the doctor i am consulting in mexico performs them all and he said it your own choice.
I have spent 18000$ already on band and dnt want to make a decision where i ll have to do another surgery which i do not have finances for.
I just want a revision from lap band because its hurting too bad and the doctor said if it gets erosion i ll have to pay for two surgeries once removal of a band and then to wait for 6 months and then do any other surgies so i wana do it quickly that way if its not eroded already it wont get a chance.
Its not that i failed the band if it was it i wouldnt have ost 100 lbs in first place.Fills fills fills defills defills its un predictable gets tighter when its cold gets looser when its hot get tighter when u r flying or on a hight very tight in the morning its a device doesnt seem to work for human body
why there is nor cure for this why it seems end of the world
shoutjoy
on 4/18/10 7:50 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

You are probably right.  I don't think you can get the MGB at 178 lbs.  The risk of too much weight loss is a factor.  I'm not sure which procedure you could get.  A lot of weight gain is caused by bad food choices and alot of our weight gain is just that.  Changing how you eat and your relationship with food would help.  Do you attend a support group?  This is something that is extremely important.  Maybe if you talk to experts in the food addiction/disorder field would help.  Also a nutritionist may be able to advise you on food choices as well.   

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

MsBatt
on 5/4/10 4:11 am
Your stomach won't be a monster if you have the Sleeve, because about 80% of it will be GONE. Trust me, you'll have more restriction---and less trouble---with the Sleeve than you ever had with your Crap-Band.
tracyjoy76
on 5/8/10 12:51 pm

I do not suggest you get the sleeve.  I had the sleeve done in 11/09 I lost 50 lbs and have since gained it all back plus.  I am 5'10" and pre surgery I weighed 236.  Like you I had/have serious food issues and the restriction of the sleeve did NOT solve my problems.  I have seasonal depression and went on a medication that caused most of my weight gain but I know that I have also stretched out my stomach, it is no longer has the restriction it should have. I had mine done in Mexico by a very nice surgeon who did a very nice job and I had no side effects the problem is that I had absolutely no counseling.  All I was told was to eat low carb and low calories.  To be honest that's all you hear on here.  Well you can't live on low carb your whole life and when you finally get sick of it you binge then you gain wither you had weight loss surgery or not.  The problem is that you don't get people on these forums that failed just the success stories because most people are too ashamed.   Before you get any surgery or spend any money know that without a total lifestyle change nothing will work.   

kylee
on 5/11/10 1:41 am
I think II would prefer Duodenal Switch an option. Patients are able to eat larger portions than other bypass surgeries because of a larger stomach size. Food is able to digest normally and sustain more nutrients.
Health is important!

patsueham
on 6/11/10 1:29 am - Coker, AL
no matter what wls we have if we do'nt change our habits (eating) and i think it all starts in our head!
SUE IN COKER        
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 928 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1258 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2076 views