weight gain right after bypass

Crisusa
on 4/30/10 6:42 am - Acton, MA

Hi everyone,
 I had gastric bypass done 3 days ago. When I was admitted at the hospital, my weight was 204. Now, only couple days after the procedure, my weight is 210.5. I am so confused... Please help me!!!

shoutjoy
on 4/30/10 9:23 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

If you were given IV fluids in the hospital, it could be your body is retaining it.  I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.  I can only suggest that you relax and heal.  Take a break from the scale for awhile.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

ceeea
on 5/2/10 9:14 pm
Hi,

I had my bypass done on the 9th of April and weighed 239 lbs a week later when I got home I weighed 252 lbs!  It took about 10 days after that for me to lose the fluid.  As of today I weigh 222 lbs.  Don't stress! 
TTitus780
on 5/3/10 12:33 pm - Bristol, CT
It's totally the IV fluids. When I checked in for my surgery I was 324, when I left I was 331!!! I was so discouraged---but I'm a little over a month out and I'm down to 297--so hang in there, you'll do great :)

Crisusa
on 5/9/10 2:30 am - Acton, MA
 Thanks!!  Good to know that I am not the only one!!
jkauffman
on 5/10/10 6:21 am - Edgewater, MD
I have my first info seminar next week....  I am afraid that I will not make it through the surgery.  I hear sooooo many stories about people getting thru the surgery and dieing from the complications a month later....  Not quite sure how to get myself not fearing the worst thing that could possibly happen.  I do not know which one to do. 

Any suggestions????? 
Jacqueline
lisa-tiann
on 5/18/10 6:16 am - Baltimore, MD
The seminars are great and you have to here the truth about the surgery but you look at the news every day and at least one a week some one was in an accident or crossing the street and died, you can not stop going out because of what you see. We have to look at the pros and make sure this is what we wanted and  keep GOD in our prayers. YOu will ne ok just don't scare your self with all of what you read.

GOd Bless Lisa 
Jody ***
on 6/1/10 11:25 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

and who are you hearing this from?  This procedure has been so finely tuned, the risk of death is that of a lap gallbladder removal, which is very very small.

I also heard the "OMG I know someone who died", etc.  I talked to my surgeon about it and asked what HIS mortality rate was - he was taken aback and said "none" - I said "good, lets keep it like that".

Yes, people have complications, it will happen, BUT - being proactive with your OWN health as well as having a good relationship with your surgeon (if you have issues) will make a huge difference in your success if you do develop complications.

I was jus****ching a TV program about 2 people who had gastric bypass surgery.  Both people were well over 800 lbs.  The woman died - they said it was cardiac arrest, the man didn't.  When you are that heavy, you will have more of a chance for complications, and the Dr's even advised them that they were high risk for dying.  They both wanted to take the chance.

I haven't had any issues whatsoever and I think you'll find the majority of people who have WLS don't.  I found the "naysayers" were the ones who DIDN'T have the surgery and were just giving their own uneducated opinions about what could happen.

Go through with it - its the best ride of your life and you'll be SO happy you did!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

thekarlas
on 8/20/10 2:34 am
I just want to encourage you not to worry . After any surgery our body organs and deep tissue retain water . Its normal . I gained thirty pounds after an procedure once . Best thing for water retention is getting exercize when ready and protien and drinking more fluids . Good luck on your successes and I am awaiting a appointment on the september 1st to see a doctor about this same surgery . I'm nervous but I,m sure all will be fine . I'm a ex lap bander that had complications two years ago and had to have it removed . So here I go this way and I am trying to get any info I can on he RNY bypass . So I wouldnt mind hearing about how your body feels so far and how your mind is coping . Again Good luck !
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 928 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1258 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2076 views