Finding it hard to resist late night snacks!

Nijaz79
on 10/2/08 1:37 pm
Ok I am new to all this and this is my first post, but here goes... I have been on the south beach diet for about a year now and I have lost around 65 pounds, and need to loose about 50 more. I am having trouble late at night though. I will be so good all day long and watch everything that goes in my mouth, and then late i night sometimes its like I can't resist having sweets. I feel like I ruin all the hard work I put in all day. Is anyone else having a hard time with this issue, or can help in any way it would be greatly appriciated?
Ruth Shapovalov
on 10/2/08 1:49 pm - Bothell, WA
You're more than halfway to goal! I'd say you're doing SOMETHING right, sister!

I'll tell you one little thing, and I'm just a mom, not an expert, but... I firmly believe cravings are due to a lack of something. My studies over the past year lead me to believe it's probably minerals. One thing I've very non-professionally "encouraged" a friend to try is magnesium at night. It's a natural relaxant. If you get a good mineral supplement, and maybe try a magnesium tea kind of thing at night (I got mine at my chiropracter's office, not sure what brand it is... ocean scene on the jar) it might help you relax and get your mind off sugar. Sugar also helps create sugar cravings, IMO.

Meanwhile, celebrate YOU for accomplishing a 65 pound release! As my Aussie buddies would say "good anya!"

Ruth

Nijaz79
on 10/6/08 6:10 am
Thank you Ruth for your suggestion. I am going to go and try to find the Tea today. I am hoping they have it at Sprouts Health food store. At this point I am willing to try just about anything. I seem to be stuck at my current weight and cant get under the 190 mark. It is so frustraiting.
mwy
on 10/2/08 1:58 pm
Wow, 65 pounds. Bravo Keep up the good work.

I have the exact same problem.  All day long, I'm a rock.  But it seems to be at night that every possible food item in the house and restaurant down the street starts screaming my name.  I think it's because that's when I'm sitting here relaxing and winding down and my mind isn't so occupied.  What I do is drink hot tea, chew gum, or get on my laptop and answer my e-mails.  Anything to get my mind off of food.  You could drink water, but then you'll pee all night.  On South Beach you could eat raw fruits and vegetables.  Whatever you do, don'****ch the Food Network!  Sometimes even looking on diet sites makes me hungry.

Oh, Welcome to the Non Surgical Board. 

Mary 
Nijaz79
on 10/6/08 6:12 am
I am going to try the Tea thing. I have tried to get distracted from the cravings bu****chin TV and being on the computer only seem to magnify the problem. I think im gonna start taking late night walks and hope it distracts me. Thanks for your suggestions.
JerseyGirl1969
on 10/2/08 5:56 pm - Milford, NJ
Congrats on the journey so far.

This is something I used to struggle with.  I now make sure there's nothing off plan in the house.  I also make sure I have alternatives.  Better to have a late night snack on sugar free jello or nuts than on other stuff.

You also need to keep yourself busy. Make the kitchen off limits after dinner and dishes are done.  LOL, when I got so busy that it literally was come home, eat dinner, walk the dog, go to bed, I stopped snacking.  If you're busy, you won't be bored and entertain yourself with food.

Lastly, attitude. As long as you believe you "can't resist" you won't.  CHange your words to change your mind to change your behavior.  And if you tell yourself 65lbs is not it, not enough, you want the whole enchilada of another 50lbs, then you won't stand for the self sabotage.

Neecee O.
on 10/2/08 10:36 pm, edited 10/2/08 10:37 pm - CA
Hi nij!  I don't have that problem so much any more, but wow, did I ever for years! I would try the things mentioned so far...no harm, may help!

DO change that mindset - of course you CAN choose another behavior...currently it is just that you choose NOT to find something else.  I know you realize there is more to life than opening the cupboard/fridge and caving in every night, right?????? It is too simple to simply not go into the kitchen after clean up, but really...don't go in there.  At.  all.

The first several days of any ha*****ange is the hardest.  Won't be long before you have a whole new plan of attack.

You may need to eat a little more supper, or plan a snack before bed. There are some awesome protein drink products, or high protein puddings that you can have with real whip cream.

If it is occurring very late at night, it is said that can indicate pre-diabetes - or a blood sugar issue at the very least.  Again, a high protein snack is a good antidote. I would even down a glass of 2% milk and see how you feel.

I battled this for years, I know how hard it is. Also, maybe try changing your nightly routine - get in the shower or tub, then right into bed if this is changing it up. Do your nails, write a letter, or do a blog entry or come here, make hot peppermint tea with hot milk or cream.

Good luck and come in here more often.

"The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not."   ~Mark Twain

Nijaz79
on 10/6/08 6:18 am
I think my main issue is the fact that I know the stuff is in there. It is hard when I am the only one in the house watching what I eat. Everyone else brings it in the house even when I dont. I try to stay out of the kitchen at night but having a child really makes it hard, she is always wanting something, usually milk. I am going to try drinking the tea and if that doesnt work im gonna try the glass of milk at night. I have been told inthe past that maybe I should take a weight loss pill to help with this issue. But I really want to do this on my own, I almost feel like weight loss pills are cheating and that if I take them and then stop, all the weight will come back on. Thanks for the support.
Ruth Shapovalov
on 10/6/08 10:09 am - Bothell, WA
I know! I think that cookies do have a voice and they call me. The magnesium is in powder form, and you stir it into really ho****er, which is why I called it a "tea".  I'm studying under a health coach, and a doctor who is also a health book author. Both are very consistant in their teaching that the body will search out the missing minerals and other nutrients, causing us to overeat.

I will sometimes have a few raw almonds just before bed to give my stomach something to do.

No matter what is said; I've gotten my weight off and kept if off for two years, so the teachers I'm listening to know SOMETHING!!! :-) Still, if I kept cookies/crackers/chips and other baddies around, they would yell my name on a daily basis. I don't crave them, but they call when they're welcomed in the home. Solution? Banned.

There are natural metabolism boosters that help in both appetite control and fat burning. Cinnamon and cayenne are two.

All the best to you!

Ruth aka Mom Shap
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 336 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 464 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 673 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 883 views