Decided against WLS

DebColCam
on 6/26/12 3:16 pm - Canada
I was considering WLS like the majority of people on here, but after careful consideration I decided against it. Which seems to put me into the minority here! Does anyone ever post regularly on the NSWL forum? I have lost 44 lbs in this past year and going to work hard to lose more. I really want to do it naturally. Got any tips on how to be successful NSWL ?
Future Legend
on 6/27/12 1:16 am - SC
CONGRATS on the 44 lb loss!!

There used to be a BUNCH of us here a few years ago.  I started my journey in 2008, and pretty well stayed on track because of the support of the folks here.  One thing I've learned, weight has a direct effect on more than just physical health, but emotional health as well...  

I ended up getting married and lazy (well... lazy when it comes to me).  I got very busy with taking care of him and doing things for his adult children and ended up putting some weight back on but recently I made the decision to ditch everything else in favor of taking care of myself and have slowly lost 32 of the regain since December. 

Originally I lost like 130 lbs by going low carb, exercising and paying attention to ME.  This incuded:  getting a shrink, getting a tan and a mani and pedi regularly.  I guess the bottom line is that we need to feel we are WORTH it!

Also, I did stop taking insulin.  I'm guessing that at least 50 lbs of what I had on me was directly related to insulin injections.... and the first 100 fell off in like.. ooh.. a few months.. maybe 4 or 5.  Going low carb has reduced my weight dramatically... given me bursts of energy like you wouldn't believe.. controlled my sugar from the 3rd day on (and I was up around 330 at the time).  Even with all of the meat and eggs I eat.. my cholesterol has dropped about 350 pts... triglycerides went from 650 (off the chart) to normal.

I will always say that you have to do what works for YOU!  I happen to be very carb sensitive.  Have you a good idea by now of what works and what doesn't for you?
DebColCam
on 6/27/12 2:18 am - Canada
Low carb is what has worked for me too! Just trying to get bk on track with it. Once you go off of it, it is really difficult to get past the carb/sugar cravings! But. The idea of surgery scares the heck out of me. Exercise is also key. Trying to walk or ride my bike daily now and hoping to go bk to curves this fall. TY so much for your post! Now I don't feel so alone here! I'll keep posting and update soon. Hopefully I will be able to get off of Metformin. Been on it now about 5 yrs.
Future Legend
on 6/27/12 3:19 am - SC

Walk through your kitchen with a trash bag in hand.  Load in everything with carbs... from rice to pancake mix to any candy, cookies...  ANYTHING that you aren't supposed to have.

If you feel bad about throwing it away.. give it away ... do ANYTHING you have to do to get it out of your reach and DO NOT CARE WHAT ANYONE THINKS!  This is YOUR health we're talking about. 

You already know you'll have 1 uncomfortable week of detox. . some headaches, cravings.  Substitute where possible... like... a handful of macadamias for crunchies or an ounce of cream cheese to give the illusion of sweet.

Now.. for the next 3 weeks, cook and buy what is on your diet.  If anyone in the house complains, tell them to go to Mickey D's.  They won't starve, trust me... but you will DIE if you don't get the carbs out of you (look at it that way).  If your numbers aren't low enough yet that you can't be off Metformin, then go drastic.   It takes about 21 days to form a "habit".. less if you have an addictive personality (like I do).  If it weren't diet and exercise, I could be addicted to food or drugs... I figure, the diet and exercise is the least of all of those evils ;)  .

The "not off metformin" thing really set off alarms in my head.

Where are your numbers first thing in the morning?

DebColCam
on 6/27/12 9:53 am - Canada
Ty for your advise. I am in Canada so numbers might be different but my fasting has been 5.5 - 6.0 lately which is where the Dr likes it I also take Victoza 1.8 injection daily it is a newer drug but not insulin. Find food thing a bit hard with hubby as he is under weight, but he is doing his best to be supportive he makes is own carb foods. He is completely against WLS. Thinks the complications make the procedure too risky. We ride our bikes and walk together often. Do you know of any other forums or on line supports. I have read and own all the Atkins books. Try to follow the protien first principles. Tks again for your support.
Future Legend
on 6/27/12 7:00 pm - SC
Here's an Atkins, low carber forum

http://forum.lowcarber.org/
chellelynn3
on 6/28/12 1:32 am - san bernardino, CA
Congrats to you Deb on your decision to do this without WLS, it is a hard road to walk but it is so worth it!

Michelle Hendrickson Holistic Health Coach http://www.gracioushealth.net

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 357 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 481 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 689 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 906 views