Hi there

Supergirl7877
on 10/23/12 3:34 pm
 Hello everyone!!  

I just thought I would say hello!  I accidentally found this message board after stumbling upon the plastic surgery board first.

i am happy to see you here :). My story is this...7 years ago today (my 26th birthday) I was 300 lbs.  I gave birth to a baby girl who turned 7 today.  I have been overweight or obese my whole life.  Today I woke up 143.3 lbs.  I lost to the 220s after my sons birth in 2008.  In 2011 I bought a body bug and religiously logged my foods.  I run almost everyday.   I am scheduled for a tummy tuck, thigh lift, breast lift and augmentation November 6.  I am terrified.  I wish that I wasn't but I am.  I have never had a flat tummy and it just seems so strange to me.  I have also fought so so so hard to get here and it is like a dream that I have made it.  I have failed so many times that I just can't imagine what it might be like being "normal"   I just don't know how to let the "fat girl' go....
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/12 9:25 pm - Canada
Hello!
So glad you found us! :)

Congratulations on a successful weight loss. What a big day you have coming up on November 6th. I'm sure you'll lose a few more pounds of skin with your surgery. I wish I had some advice about how to cope with being "normal" size. All I know is how to be the best you that you can be. Being scared is normal, I think, before surgery.

All I can offer from my experience is my breast reduction surgery. I couldn't wait to have smaller boobs and no more back and shoulder pain. The surgery went fine but the first week or two was hard (who knew how much a little arm movement would hurt on the chest). Once I got over the initial shock of how the girls looked post-op (yes, I cried...I'll admit it) I was fine. I was self-conscious of the scars as any 20-something would be but not having the pain and associated issues was so worth it. (and perhaps your plastic surgeon knows of someone you could talk to about these feelings...I'm sure you are not the first person who feels this way.)

If I had to do it again, I would in a heartbeat. Try not to think of this surgery as letting the fat girl go...try to think of it as another tool to feeling better physically. You deserve it! And the "fat girl" will hopefully just fade away.

Please let us know how things go on November 6th. I will be sure to think of you on that day and send positive and healing energy your way.

Hugs,
Tammy

brock2006
on 10/24/12 1:22 am
Wow.  What an inspiring story!  Seven years and 157 pounds.  That is amazing.  You have lost over 1/2 the person you were in 2005!

And it is cool that you are close to my age.  My math says you just turned 33?  I'm 34, turning 35 in March 2013.
Supergirl7877
on 10/24/12 12:44 pm
Thank you both.

Yes, I just turned 33.

It really has been a long road and to look at pictures of me with my infant daughter I just can't believe it is me....and now I can't believe that I am here...and I keep asking myself...who am I?  Really, since I set my surgery I really don't know me that well.

I can tell you us "natural losers" are few.  The plastic surgeon that I am going to works with dozens of bariatric patients.  I am the first natural loser they have seen this year.  I know that it can be done...it took TONS of blood, sweat (and I mean a **** ton of sweat) and buckets of tears and countless prayers to get here.  OH...and lots of broccoli, ketchup and cucumbers....and egg whites...can't forget the egg whites!

Sorry guys.  I am a little lost :)

Are you following a program?

Have a great night!!
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/12 9:25 pm - Canada
For once it's nice to be referred to as a natural loser, isn't it? Good for you!

The big decision to lose weight was made when I saw our vacation pics from last year and I didn't recognize the fat person in the pics. I looked so bloated, my eyes so squinty. It was not at all how I saw myself. Wake up call!

I am following a program from the Weight Management Clinic at the Ottawa Civic Hospital. I had originally gone in to see about bariatric surgery as I did their program 10 years ago and while I was "successul" in losing almost 20% of excess weight and keeping it off for 5 years, a big depression saw the rest of it pile on. At my surgery consultation the doctor asked if I would give their program another try before considering surgery (even though I qualified).

I agreed to give it another try. Am I ever glad I did. The program had improved greatly...dietitian teaching nutrition component, RN (and WMC patient) doing the behaviour component and awesome exercise teacher (experience in dealing with obesity and exercise). We were on Optifast for 12 weeks then slowly added food while decreasing Optifast. (Makes me laugh when I read the surgery blogs to read about people whining they are on it for 2-3 weeks pre-op...try 3 months plus!)

The doctor that leads this program, Dr. Robert Dent, is one of the leading researchers in obesity. Through this program I have participated in many studies, one of which showed I had the obesity gene. My family in turn was studied but I am the only "lucky" one with it. From the program it helps to learn that our bodies do not process food as efficiently as "normal" people so it is harder and extra work for us. And we are followed closely while on product...weekly weigh-in, blood pressure and doctor visit before class. Bloodwork every few weeks. And periodically when they weigh us they also check fat/muscle loss to make sure we are losing fat, not muscle, which is a big part of Optifast.

This time I really think I "got it"...plus hubby is supporting me on this and working on his own weight loss. I track everything on fitness pal (must make sure I reach my fat and protein goals...so hard reaching those...especially the fat...never would have thought that before) and exercise everyday. Mostly walking, even if it is only 15-20 some days. And having a forum like this for support is super helpful. We seldom eat out anymore which really helps...diet and budget-wise. And the only processed foods coming in the house are cereal (oatmeal, bran bud), greek yogurt and cottage cheese, peanut butter. Everything else is fresh or frozen (fresh fruit, chicken and fish) It makes a huge difference...especially for sodium intake.

Sorry to ramble but there was so much I wanted to share.

Tammy
Supergirl7877
on 10/25/12 3:06 am
I love rambling! It is far easier to get to know you that way

That sounds like an awesome program. I am in a rural area so our choices are limited. I really wish more people were able to put time into the thinking and emotion behind eating. I have been more stressed since scheduling my surgery than ever before in my whole life.

My mom, dad and brother have all had gastric bypass. My sister remains obese. Obviously this is a family disease...at the very least a learned activity. I thank God that nine of them have had serious side effects from the surgery like aol many others have.

I wish my husband was changing! We live different lives. I am always on the go and making sure my children are physically active...he likes to hold down our bed and make sure the tv still works. I think he is 260....he holds it all in his belly. Sometimes he gets in board and gets on the treadmill and stops buying junk food to eat at work...but he is so all or nothing...if he slips up he totally goes back. Any tips for getting him onboard??

Can I say again how glad I am to be here?!
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/12 4:10 am - Canada
I wish I had the magic solution to get your hubby on board with you.

Mine was forced to because of his health. My husband suffered a couple of heart attack just after Easter in 2007. It happened as he was admitted to hospital for severe anemia and while he was on the gurney waiting for tests to find out if there was an internal bleed causing the anemia he had the first of two attacks. The second happened as he was being transferred in to the bed in ICU. He was only 43 at the time and about 50 pounds overweight...all in the stomach. (He has a strong family history of heart disease...his father had his first heart attack at 37 and had 3 bypass surgeries before passing away in his late 50's. One of hubby's older brothers who is a marathon runner had a heart attack last year at this time at age 60.) Thankfully the doctors did tests while hubby was in hospital and found almost a full blockage where they inserted a stent. All is good so far. He takes his meds as prescribed and is careful with his diet where junk food and sodium is concerned. His weakness is my baking which I try not to do too much. He's down just over 30 pounds since we started working on this last year. He is on the verge of one-derland...I can't wait until he hits it...he's been on a plateau for weeks bouncing between 204-208. This week weighed in at 202...very happy man.

Plus I do the majority of the cooking so if he wants to eat, healthy is the only option. Mind you, he is the one who cooks the fish because the smell/look of it turns me off. If I prepare it, I can't eat it. But I'll eat it if he cooks it...weird.

OK...I must get back to working...

Tammy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 337 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 465 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 674 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 887 views