Has anyone lost over 100 lbs and kept it off? Would love to learn..

sunshine1968
on 8/22/13 8:17 am

Hi all,

I am presently contemplating weight loss surgery but I thought I would just reach out and see if anyone out there has a lost a great deal of weight and managed to keep it off. I am 5'3 and weigh 303 lbs and need to lose over 150 lbs. I have been on a countless number of diets and have lost 100 lbs at least 4 times, only to gain it back. I feel defeated and that perhaps I need to be realistic and consider another option-wls. Just curious about what some of you are doing to lose the weight and keep it off. Would love to hear your story.

M

Supergirl7877
on 8/23/13 2:37 am
Yep, I have! Started with your same stats. If you go to like page 3 there is a post by me called "my stq"...serious typo but my whole story is there. In a nutshell:

*7 year journey (including 1 pregnancy with 60lb regain)

*never lost more than 4 lbs a week, that only happened a few times

*i kept track of every morsel I put in my mouth and used the BodyBugg system for the last 70lbs

*I have several foods I treat like drugs...I cannot eat even a bite...

*I started at walking 30 mins a day with a 3mph pace killing me. I now run 5 miles in 45 minutes daily

*consistency is the only thing that has worked for me. I am consistent in my diet and activity...always! You can't stop!!

It can be done but it is a long journey with no "honeymoon" period. The last 3 years, at a normal body weight, have been the best! I have totally changed my habits...instead of sending the kids out to play I am out there initiating tag, football, sprint races...I am no longer on the sidelines and my children are learning to love physical activity.

Good luck in your decision!! I would look at what happens when you start to regain...?? Life events??
jaimej76
on 3/30/15 10:16 pm

I saw this post and I had to respond.  I have struggled with my weight since I was a little girl.  I am now 39.  People used to tell me all the time that the decision to lose weight and keep it off is truly a "lightbulb" moment, but I never believed them.  I do now.  I was on a ride at an amusement park and my Mother In Law was directly across from me with my daughter.  They tried to buckle me in and they just couldnt do it.  I saw the look of horror on my husband's Mom's face and I felt disgusted with myself.  The very next weekend we attended a BBQ with friends.  I had a plate of food and when I went to sit down in the lawn chair it pretty much cracked and I fell in front of everyone.  My husband came to my aid, but I could tell he was so embarressed. That was my lightbulb moment. 

I found jogging.  I found Weigh****chers.  I found this website.  I lurk all the time and I have been doing it for over 4 years now.  I stay focused.  I know I have a problem with food and I accept that, but I dont let it control my life anymore.  It will be a challenge for me until I leave this Earth and I accept it. 

I started out at 331LBS at 5 foot 9.  I am now at 208lbs.  My goal, which I have yet to reach is 180.  I had a tummy tuck 2 years ago from excessive skin.

What works for me?  I never have and never will say "I cant" eat something.  I eat anything I want WITHIN REASON.  For me...if I deny myself it just wont WORK.  I tried HUNDREDS of diet plans before and I never stuck to them.  So now I just dont DIET.  I make the best choices for ME.  If I want pizza, I will have A SLICE...  I will also ensure I did my workout and weight training that week if I want to splurge with calories.  If it is a birthday party and they have cake, I eat it.  I then know the next day I will be more mindful of my sugar and carb intake.  It is all about balance.

I also believe that the gym is important.  Or any form of exercise that you enjoy.  AND INCORPORATE WEIGHTS.  I can not stress this enough.  I am a single Mom now (husband and I are over), and my time is limited.  I do weights 5 days a week and hi-intense cardio as well.  I would say my sessions are about 45 minutes.  FIND THE TIME FOR YOU!  I know you can do  this. 

I get very emotional typing this because when I tell you how hard it was for me to have that lightbulb moment and look at that scale and KNOW I had to lose so much weight, it was OVERWHELMING.  I didnt know where to start.  I wanted a MAGIC PILL or anything to just take it off quickly so I could be done with it.  Well, it was hard work and sometimes that damn scale wouldnt budge an ounce, but I never stopped.  I slip up.  I AM HUMAN.  I gained back 10 lbs and then I work my butt off to drop it again. 

You can do this.  Since I was 5 years old I have had a weight problem.  I loved food like a BFF...  I have faith in you

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 336 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 464 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 673 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 884 views