Exercise

kbanks
on 11/17/05 12:13 pm - Springfield, MO
Hi everyone. I was just wanting to get some ideas from some of you. I like to walk for exercise, but with the cold weather here, I hate being cold, what do you do? I don't like treadmills. So, is there some other way to exercise and get the benefits you need to lose weight or what? I have a gym membership. Just never use it. Any ideas? Thanks, Kim
Phyll H
on 11/17/05 6:43 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 08/04/08 with
Kim, have you consider any of the DVD's/VHS "Walking Away The Pounds" ? I have a membership with a nearby YMCA. However, I use my home workout DVD's for backup Phyllis
lisfor
on 11/18/05 2:26 am - New York, NY
Lap Band on 05/11/09 with
Hi Kim. . . I'm addicted to the elliptical at my gym. Can really efficiently control my exertion level, and it feels a lot like walking with no joint stress or pain, and what's more I can zone out listening to music while doing it. Have you tried it? I also saw that on your other post you mentioned your meds. I take a variety as well, and was having some weight-related issues. You may be able to change your medications a bit to lose weight (that's what I did). If I might ask, what are you taking? If this is too public, feel free to e-mail me. liz 258/214/? (6/1/05 start date)
kbanks
on 11/21/05 11:48 am - Springfield, MO
HI! Sorry to be slow at responding. I have been busy. I am on psych meds. Depakote, which causes weight gain, and Trilafon 8, which I am not sure about. I was on Risperdal, and gained over 100 pounds on that. I finally decided to take myself off of it, since my doctor wouldn't. Then I had to get a new doctor. Oh well, this weight has got to come off. Kim
lisfor
on 11/22/05 12:08 am - New York, NY
Lap Band on 05/11/09 with
Hi Kim--have you talked to a doctor about changing around your meds to ones that don't cause weight gain (or ones that promote weight loss)? Frankly, being really heavy is pretty damn depressing by itself. Perhaps an SSRI plus something else? There are doctors and patients out there who swear by an SSRI plus an appetite suppressant (such as phentermine plus prozac--the combination both elevates mood and destroys appetite). Your mileage may vary of course, but you should get a really good doctor (or two) to work with you. And keep trying until something works. I went through much of the same thing--nearly gave up at first, but worked with my GP and pharmacologist to find things that worked for me. Do you know if you are insulin resistant? How is your thyroid function? I found that medication that corrected my insulin resistance made weight loss much easier (since i was much less hungry all the time). The medications also made getting to the gym easier, and much more fun. There is hope, you know. But if the medications aren't doing you any good, and making you gain weight, you need to try different things. And keep trying. I found dieting to be virtually impossible while I was dealing with, in essence, improperly medicated stress/depression, insulin resistance and a lack of thyroid function. With these problems addressed, it's actually been almost easy. Almost. Good luck!!! You can do this, liz
Donnamarie
on 11/18/05 6:50 am - NY
Hi Kimberly, I just got back from the gym so I guess I am biased when I say that the gym is by far the best way to go. I don't really have places to walk around here, there are no sidewalks in my neck of the woods. And with the weather in the NE there is not a good way to be consistent with an exercise program. I love the elliptical as well, and I do the weight circuit 3 times a week. I aim for the cardio workout everyday but I am happy when I am able to hit 4 times a week. Exercise is absolutely integral to good and sustained weight loss, as well as making us healthy for life. Good luck in finding something that works for you. Donna 342/268/200
Kasey
on 11/18/05 9:23 am - Baltimore, MD
Kim, I am a gym junkie, but I understand if people don't like gyms, can't afford them or don't live close to one. A lot of people have done well with exercise machines in their homes. If I ever win the lottery, I will get a recumbent stationary bike and elliptical glider for my home. I'm also a big fan of exercise tapes, like Diva suggested. If you get cable TV, there are a bunch of aerobics programs on Fit TV can be taped or Tivo'd, so you wouldn't have to spend money on tapes, which tend to be overpriced. Best of luck. Kasey 365/210/195 (nonop)
Jessica D.
on 11/18/05 11:09 am - Edmonds, WA
Hi Kim, Why not do a bit of everything. You're spending the money on the gym, so perhaps once or twice a week, you could go to the gym and try for 45 to 60 minutes on the bike, elliptical, recumbant bike or the weight machines. If your club has a personal trainer, if you have a little extra money, hire one of those personal trainers for a short time until you can get motivated. That's exactly what I did 5 months ago. After about 3 weeks, I didn't need my trainer anymore and was going to the gym on my own. I needed the kick in the butt... How about step aerobics? I lost quite a bit of weight some years ago with step aerobics. You can go online and by step tapes, or any other exercise tapes/DVDs. Gin Miller is a great step aerobics instructor. If you're just beginning weight loss, I know it sounds crazy, but the Richard Simmons "Sweating to the Oldies" series is really great. There are normal looking people on the tapes--not just perfect bodies that make you feel bad about yourself. Hope this helps a bit. Jessica 302/252/175
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views