Free Speech

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/14 5:39 am
On April 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM Pacific Time, Jost Dreams wrote:

I only recall one person ever making threats on R&R.  She's a friend of yours and made it to the group several years ago.

Not sure what your point is, as I was talking about freedom of speech and some of the limitations of such. And simple fact is threats are not protected as a right.   If a 'friend' of mine made a threat on a board several years ago, I really don't think I'm going to bother myself with it.. my time is a little more valuable then that.

Jost Dreams
on 4/22/14 3:36 am

You mentioned threats. I figured your friend had mentioned she had been threatened and slandered via PMs. My bad. 

Kate -True Brit
on 4/20/14 1:46 am - UK

Laurie, it isn't specifically that they are kept they just aren't removed. It's no big legal-protection thing. You go on any message board and you can go right back to the earliest posts ever made. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/14 5:41 am

I don't know if I can agree with that Kate.  From my understanding the postings are 'kept'.. good example R&R, it's closed but the postings are still kept in archives.  But no one says that we have to fully agree either. 

Kate -True Brit
on 4/21/14 5:47 am - UK
On April 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM Pacific Time, Laurie :) wrote:

I don't know if I can agree with that Kate.  From my understanding the postings are 'kept'.. good example R&R, it's closed but the postings are still kept in archives.  But no one says that we have to fully agree either. 

Even deleted poats are visible, just not to the general reader. As a group moderator on another OH board, all the deleted threads are still visible to me, they just turn purple and have a dotted line round them. On a separate site I use, as moderator, I can check back on any post made at any time by any poster. I can do it by date, topic or by name of the poster. This is totally normal. So, yes, the old r and r posts will still be there, just closed to publc view.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/14 6:00 am

kept/retained basically the same thing.. the reasoning and/or points of legality is what was coming into play.   I will not argue the point if you are saying that a forum like OH (using this one out of convenience) only holds old postings for readership purposes.  But again the subject was freedom of speech and limitations.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/22/14 11:43 am, edited 4/23/14 1:07 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On April 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM Pacific Time, Laurie :) wrote:

If it was no holds barred on a forum such as as this one, Obesity Help would not retain records of all postings, which is done in the event that they are subpoenaed and the postings used as evidence.  Someone may feel the right to say something, someone else has the right to take them to court, it's the American way.  And then there are the threats, those are not treated as a right to speech either.

OH doesn't need to retain records, everything is already archived on the internet if you know where to look. Heck, I can go look at a full copy of this site from 10 years ago!

http://web.archive.org/web/20040206032525/http://www3.obesit yhelp.com/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/14 10:03 am

Free speech on a forum, such as this?  No there are limitations, this site is owned and has every right to determine what is allowed or where it's allowed to be posted.

But to answer your question Kate.. The right to freedom of speech is not absolute, there are numerous limitations such as: slander, obscenities, hate speech. trade secrets, copyright violations etc. Example of the most elementary limitation is falsely shouting fire in a crowded theater and creating unnecessary panic.

You ask about the KKK, as long as they are not violating any laws yes it's permissible for them to support their organization, the same as any other organization which may or may not be racially based. 

Jost Dreams
on 4/19/14 4:01 pm

You talk in talk in circles.  Limitations on hate speech but KKK can support their "organization" which is founded on hate?  Give me a fuck7ng break.  But then SE Texas is the home of Vidor, the Klan capital.  Another reason to dislike that part of the state.  Bunch of ass backward rednecks who need to grip on the real world.

Susan M.
on 4/19/14 4:29 pm, edited 4/19/14 4:34 pm

Legal matters often have loopholes.  So it can easily look like you're going in circles.  One thing, you think is legal has a loophole, one thing you think is illegal has another loophole..

You get arrested for the thing you thought was legal and the person you thought was committing a crime gets off.  

I know it is illegal to say the holocaust never happened in many countries, but I'm pretty sure it's ok to say it in the USA.

Is it illegal in the UK Kate?

Edit:  Never mind, found the answer. "Holocaust denial is explicitly or implicitly illegal in 17 countries: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Switzerland, and Romania"

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sad news but it's for the best
TattooMom · 3 replies · 1060 views
Does Salt Matter?
alfred098 · 5 replies · 1127 views
Wedding preps!!!!
emilinjohn11 · 1 replies · 907 views
Best Running Idea's Outfit
emmajames · 0 replies · 777 views