Good carbs???

dancingdaisy
on 4/25/11 10:13 pm - Canada
So I have not beern having very many carbs.. mostly half piece of toast  a few times. I have been concentrating on protein. I would like to start adding ther good carbs in..but am confused as to what they are.. so can you please tell me your favorite good carbs.
Thanks
Ezlivin
on 4/25/11 10:24 pm - Windsor, Canada
Salsa...home made salsa... I posted the recipe in the recpie forum

Veggies..mostly the ones with lots of fibre

Judy

Surgeon's goal 155 - 160
NUT goal 140
My own personal goal  125.

HW  237(Optifast weight)  SW  214   CW  111

Yummy recipies to try.....  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/welcome/  

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/26/11 7:28 am - Windsor, Canada

Here's some info for you :) 

What are 'good' carbs?

The simple answer to this question is this: good carbs are unprocessed carbohydrates in their 'natural' state - or very close to their natural state. In other words they have been minimally altered by man or machine (or not altered at all). Most diet experts agree that green vegetables are the 'ultimate' good carbs. In fact, pretty much all 'leafy' vegetables and fruits fit into this category. Beans and legumes are also, generally, included on the 'good carbs' list, as are nuts and seeds. Finally, whole-grain cereal foods - including whole-grain breads and pastas - are considered by many to be good carb foods (although there is some disagreement over this).

Good carbs have these healthy characteristics:

• high in fiber: helps you stay full longer (and avoid overeating), provides sustained energy, lowers cholesterol levels, helps to remove toxins from the body
  • low glycemic index: stabilizes blood sugar levels and insulin production
  • high in nutrients: natural vitamins, minerals & phytonutrients promote health and help to prevent chronic disease
  • low 'energy-density' (except nuts & seeds): provides sustained energy, promotes healthy weight loss and long-term weight maintenance
  • greater 'thermic effect': naturally stimulates metabolism and promotes fat loss

To sum it up, the following food types are generally considered to be good carbs and should make up most or all of your carb intake:

Note: Some nutritionists include 'healthy' dairy products like low-fat milk and sugar-free yogurt on the list, but there is much disagreement over this so we'll leave dairy foods off for now.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics