shots after surgery?

Typoqueen
on 4/27/11 8:13 am
My sister just went to here first appointment  and she was told that after surgery  that she would have to give herself shots to help with any possible clots.
Just wondering if this is just at Hamilton or does anyone else have to do this. Ottawa ppl?? do we do this?

Thanks,

Kelly

Monica M.
on 4/27/11 8:27 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i did from HRRH. No big deal.

Typoqueen
on 4/27/11 8:33 am
Thanks I will tell her that.

k

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 8:27 am - Toronto, Canada
Not sure which hospital your sister is going through but I know this is common practice at Humber.  We were told it would cost about $200 for those shots and we have to self-administer and the nurse would show us how to do that.

kelkie11
on 4/27/11 8:47 am - Canada
I was soooo worried about doing it but for real it was easy peasy.

HW 276 SW 265  CW 164.8
June 1, 2010 referral sent to St Joe's Hamilton
August 9th, 2010 Orientation
October 27th, 2010 - Meeting with Nurse,Dietician, Social Worker, ECG (no sleep study required)
November 3rd, 2010- Ultrasound
November 18, 2010- Meeting with the Internist
December 14th- Meet the surgeon
December 23rd- Education Class
January 14th- Scope - was supposed to be Dec 17th but got changed.   : (
SURGERY DATE- FEBRUARY 26 2011

JJ_
on 4/27/11 8:55 am
At the Ottawa WLS information session they indicated that HRRH does require this for everyone, and that Ottawa does not.  This information was because you could agree to be sent to Toronto for surgery and you will need to bear the cost of this drug, plus other expenses.
LAURIE G.
on 4/27/11 9:33 am - tillsonburg, Canada
I'll be having surgery in Guelph....and I've never heard about shots.  Does anyone know if they do shots in Guelph?  I do understand the need for them, just want to be prepared.  Thanks.
Laurie
lovin_life
on 4/27/11 11:20 am - Canada
Hi Laurie!
I am also going to be having my surgery in Guelph..at my last appointment with the nurse I was sure to ask this question and I was told that in most cases they DO NOT require their patients to do the shots. They said that they give you shots while you are in the hospital (which are covered) and then that is it. She said cases where people have been sent home with shots it is usually because they are at a very high risk for blood clots. I myself have a very low risk of blood clots because I have never smoked, I am in good healh (other then being the size of a house), and I am mobile. I hope this answered your question. If I can help you with anything else please feel free to ask away!
-Lovin' life!
Karen M #2
on 4/27/11 10:10 am, edited 4/27/11 10:10 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
Everybody I know who has had surgery in Ottawa has not had to have the blood thinner shots. I did because I had my surgery in Utica, NY and traveled back to Ottawa a few days after surgery, but where you don't stay immobile very long in Ottawa and don't have to travel far to go home, it isn't necessary (unless you are immobile and/or have issues with blood clotting).

(Edited to add: I think they give them to you while you are in the hospital, but you won't need a script for them when you leave.)

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

cindymbear
on 4/27/11 10:11 am - Brampton, Canada
Whether or not you get/need the shots are varied from clinic to clinic and doctor to doctor.  I'm through HRRH and my surgeon doesn't usually do them post-op unless you have problem either during or immediately after surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics