Totally OT, dumb question about false nails

Joyce J.
on 4/29/11 1:27 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

This is really dumb but my mind is boggled LOL
Anyone who has seen me in person knows I always have my nails done(fake-gel nails)
I always have really cool designs and just love my nails.
I didn't have them done for the 3 months I was off because of my knee surgery. I had to take them off for the surgery.
I had them put back on the friday before I returned to work, and they have not been staying on.
They just peel right off, it is costing me a small fortune to keep having them replaced. I glue them back on and that lasts for awhile.
In a staff meeting on tues I was bored and peeled off 8 nails(2 had already fallen off)
The girl who does my nails does not speak great English, I asked her about it, and she said my nails are very thin.
I don't know if this has something to do with the knee surgery ?????????
I have been getting my nails done consistently for about 8 or 9  years at the same place.
Does anyone have any ideas.
I bite my cuticles badly when I don't have the fake nails LOL

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

coconut01
on 4/29/11 1:29 am - Canada
weird have you been getting enough calcium and protien in?  Maybe try biotien it really made my nails grow when I used it.
HW- 269.5   SW-255  CW- 128.5   Goal - 130  Lost so far ( including optifast) - 141
Started optifast 15/02/10
Gastric ByPass 01/03/10

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/11 1:52 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Joyce, it's odd that they used to stay on and now they don't.  I had gel nails put on years ago and loved them but they kept popping off.  The nail tech was beginning to think I was doing something to knock them off but eventually after me going in almost daily to get a new one or three put back on, she said that I had too much oil on my nails and that's why they wouldn't stick properly.  I had to switch to acrylics and those suckers never popped off.  I have contemplated trying gel again but when I told a new nail tech locally about what happened before, she said chances are they wouldn't stick again.  My nails are naturally very thin and peel easily but the only fake nail I can get away with is acrylic.
Joyce J.
on 4/29/11 2:01 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Tracey

Interesting. I have had them as I said about 8 or 9 years. First I had acrylic, the past few years I have had gel. Normally I can go in about every 3 or 4 weeks for a fill, but lately it has been about every 2 weeks and mostly to have some replaced because they fall off.
As for vitamins and protien, nothing has really changed in that respect.
I am a big cuticle biter........................... my hands bleed and look horrible LOL
I have tried really hard this week not to bite. I am going to go for a manicure at another place closer to home and ask them. Hopefully I can get someone who speaks English.................... no offense to anyone, but most of these girls just do not speak English.
Maybe I will go back to acryllic LOL, I have no idea what to do

Megan M.
on 4/29/11 2:48 am - Canada
If you're looking for an alternative to the fakes, I highly recommend Perfect Formula for Nails - from the Shopping Channel.  It's kind of a nail polish, but the stuff is amazing.  It lasts on my nails for 2 weeks at a time, and it is so strong - my nails don't split or peel anymore, they just grow and grow.  I'm constantly filing them down.  But I don't like really long, dramatic nails, so this stuff gives me a nice shine, and it's strong (like nail polish, but definitely not nail polish - I don't know what it's made of).  I put on one coat, the next day I put on another.  After about 2 weeks I take it off and start over, but the odd time I've left it, it just lasted forever until it eventually wore off.  I know, I'm rambling!!  I just love this stuff - wanted to share.
Joyce J.
on 4/29/11 2:51 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi

Thanks for the info. My hands shake LOL, I can't polish my own nails. I guess I could take it to the salon to put on.
I am really hoping I can find out the reason why this is happening all of a sudden

Thanks again for the info

Take care

sam1am
on 4/29/11 3:01 am
Joyce,

I got the acrylic nails when I broke my wrists a couple of years ago.  When it was time for them to come off, the real nails left were very thin and week for a few months until they had grown out completely from the nail bed.  I used Biotin to prevent hair loss but the only thing that it did was make my naturally hard nails even harder.  Just my $.02.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Cheryl D.
on 4/29/11 2:39 pm, edited 4/29/11 2:40 pm - Toronto, Canada
I too switched to bio gel nails a few years ago and had them put back on within a week or so after surgery.  I love my funky nails and would not willingly do without them.  I have never had any issue at all either before or after sugery, but I think the suggestion of going back to acrylic nails at least for awhile is a great idea.  See how you do with those.  I totally understand that you don't want to go without your nails done at all.  After years of caring for your hands (and pedicures too!) you just don't feel right without them anymore. This is my personal weakness.  I'm working very hard on developing a weakness for sexy sandals lately too

I'd be curious to see how this turns out  for you Joyce, so please let us know!

Cheryl :)

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

leap
on 4/29/11 9:20 pm - Canada
Your hands may be shaking due to lack of vit B12. Check your levels.
leap         
Joyce J.
on 5/1/11 7:05 am - Scarborough, Canada
HI there

Nope, my hands just shake LOL. Levels are all fine

Take care

Most Active
Recent Topics