Nervous!

lori havers
on 5/24/11 6:10 pm - Canada
Well, in 48hrs I'll be heading to Guelph for my RNY! I was feeling fairly confident about the surgery, until I went on U-Tube and read all the posts about complications from the surgery. I am aware of the possibilities, but I'm telling you, it seemed like way more people regret having it than not. Some were fine for the first 6-12 months, then suddenly..hernias, twisted and necrotic bowel leading to lifesaving surgery, severe anemia etc. I know it's normal to have the "jitters" before surgery, but this has given me a real scare. I guess I need some reassurance from you guys that  so many of you on the bench for a long time, have done well with little to no complications. Just needing to vent! Thanks.
tango123
on 5/24/11 7:24 pm
I have the same jitters as you. I'm not scheduled until July. It is a huge decision and one that you have to be sure about. There are alot of success stories on this board alone. You are always going to here the negative more than the positive as the healthy ones move on! I have a friend who has had this surgery for almost 20 yrs now. He was one of the first t st.Mikes. He is fine and looks great.
Good luck you will be fine, just stick to the program, it is what will make you successful!
Bonnie ABC
on 5/24/11 7:46 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
There are consequences to every decision in life, and yes, this one should not be taken lightly, but you wouldn't have seen your doctor for referral if your body and mind had not gone out of control and was risking your life.  You sometimes hear the worst, but there are many people, like me, who have done just fine.  The quality of life is far better on this side.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Ezlivin
on 5/24/11 8:27 pm - Windsor, Canada
I echo Bonnie's post......

Read and  be knowledgable.....

Know all you need to know and if it takes postponing the surgery for you to be comfortable than consider that too.....

You do what's in your best interest!!!!!!
Judy

Surgeon's goal 155 - 160
NUT goal 140
My own personal goal  125.

HW  237(Optifast weight)  SW  214   CW  111

Yummy recipies to try.....  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/welcome/  

mollyandboo
on 5/24/11 8:56 pm - Canada
I will be thinking of you in that 48 hrs, as I also will be having my surgery @HRRH at the same time.. good luck to you.. think positive,,

Monica M.
on 5/24/11 9:24 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
good luck, mollyandboo!! Stay positive!

Monica M.
on 5/24/11 9:24 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Bad news always travels faster than good news. People are more vocal about bad experiences. Most of these surgeries go well, with no complications. There are risks, but there are also risks to not losing this weight you've got.

best of luck.

Mon

Joyce J.
on 5/24/11 10:25 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Lori

I agree with Bonnie.

You will be fine
Take a look at this board alone and see how few people regret having surgery. For me it was the best decision of my life.
All the worries and concerns are normal.

Call me or send me a message if you need to talk

Take care
Hugs

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Mike Terry
on 5/24/11 10:40 pm - Staffa, Canada
 I always say that if I died from some weird complication from the surgery tomorrow I would still want in known I advocate it because of the quality of life it has helped me achieve. Every post op day I have is another day of freedom I wouldn't have otherwise!

Sher1ock
on 5/24/11 10:48 pm - Canada
The people without complications are too busy leading full lives to be posting on YouTube...the precious little time they do spend sitting down and indoors, they are on this board oozing positive feedback.  You cannot take what is out there in cyberspace as a legitimate sampling of post-operative patients.  That's what real studies that follow a number of people over time are for.  Take a deep breath and listen to yourself from the inside..do you want the possibilities that this procedure can offer?  Each person has their own answer to that.  I prefer the risk of premature death to the certainty of premature death, which is why they call it MORBID obesity.

Good luck.

Jan

Most Active
Recent Topics