What a difference a week makes

Joyce J.
on 5/30/11 3:07 am, edited 5/30/11 5:18 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi All

I am posting this mostly so the Newbies can take note and not make the same mistake that myself and others have made.

I have gone carb and sugar free for the past week. Today is day 7(I started after the holiday monday LOL) and I am down 8.5 pounds

Certainly not easy by any stretch, but would have been easier I think if I had cut out a lot of carbs and sugar early on.
Because I was able to eat anything, I did. Not a good plan

Now here I am almost 6 years from surgery and I lost 120 pounds which is awesome, but I have been stuck because I cannot(or thought I couldn't) cut out carbs and sugar.

I say everything in moderation, unfortunately moderation does not happen with me.

Be careful what you put in your mouth. I never made journals or tracked my food until this past week. WOW what an eye opener. And by that I mean, all the carbs that are in everyday foods we eat, veggies and fruit for example.
Start now, don't wait til you get so far out that is more and more difficult.
I am not going to give up carbs forever, but I am going to do it as long as I can and the gradually put some things back into my diet. Some things I am hoping to keep away from forever.

You can do this, but do it right from the beginning. You have that start by doing optifast, it detoxes you from everything and then you can start fresh with your new life. Optifast was not in my program(sorta glad about that LOL)

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that it is much harder later on. The first year is awesome, the second year slows down a bit and then from then on it is tough.
Not to scare anyone, but any means, but I just want you to be aware.
I started out at 385, I am 262 this morning, and hope only to go lower.
Many of you started out your journey at what I weigh now.
Work hard, do your best, ask for help when you need it. That is the key, support, support, support.............................................................
I forgot to mention I have new evergy and not so lethargic at the end of the day, I just may get my laundry done tonight LOL
Ok, off my soap box now
Have an awesome day

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Quinns_mommy
on 5/30/11 3:13 am
WTG Joyce! I really appreciate this post.

I'm just curious, since you are tracking your food, how many carbs are you actually getting in each day on your "no carb" diet? I am also doing no carbs at this time (1. Because I'm so early out and 2. Because they make me sick)... and I am still getting in some from applesauce, cheese etc...

I am tracking on Fitday thanks to Karen M. :)

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
Joyce J.
on 5/30/11 4:59 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Rebecca

I am not very good at this tracking thing and not sure what Fitday is like, but I have been using Myfitnesspal.ca
Each day the carb amounts are different, but I am only getting carbs from other food, I am not eating any bread, rice, pasta.

sam1am
on 5/30/11 4:46 am
Wonderful post, Joyce!  I'm so proud of you!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/11 5:03 am - Canada
Hi Joyce,
Firstly WTG for getting back to basics for more weightloss. I think you are so right to post this info for all of us and especially the Newbies.
I agree...make the most of your 1st year....it really does get harder from there.
I am approaching my 2 year suriversary and my scale has not moved more that a pound or two since Christmas. I'm pleased that I haven't gained any weight but I'd sure like to lose another 20lbs.
I have developed Reactive Hypoglycemia which has it's own challenges but I can mange this by being dillgent about eating. I also still dump with high carb foods and sugar (thank the lord for that !!!  lol).
Can I ask you about cutting your carbs? Are you cutting the carbs in fruit and veggies too?
Could you post a sample menu? I'd like to so something similar but I'm wondering how brutal you have been with your carb cutting.
Many thanks,
Joy
Joyce J.
on 5/30/11 5:16 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

I am very bad for breaking down foods into , carbs, fats, sugar etc.
To be honest if I have to think too hard about it then it won't get done LOL
What I really did was cut out bread, pasta, rice, sugar, any junk food.
My junk food of choice right now is no sugar added vanilla pudding

I go to myfitnesspal.ca and it calculates everything. It is very simple and it breaks everything down.
So I can look at it and see what foods may have too many carbs. Since it is protein first, I don't think the little bit of carbs in veggies and fruit is that bad because after the protein I don't eat too much of anything else.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I have a new found energy. I am not as lethargic as the day goes on.

Today I had
Atkins protein shake with 4 oz milk(I find the chocolate too rich)

Salmon mixed with miracle whip, a dish of salad

Pear

Two big cups of tea with milk in the morning

Not sure what I am having for supper, some kind of meat and veggies

No snack tonight cause I have to fast for Doc appointment, but I would normally have yogurt or pudding

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/11 6:18 am - Canada
Thanks Joyce....great tips. I use fitday but not often....I will try and make a plan and see where I am on the carb scale.
Joy

heatherp
on 5/30/11 5:16 am - BROOKLIN, Canada
great post Joyce! Well said and congrats to you!

charm64
on 5/30/11 5:33 am - Cambridge, Canada
 Thanks so much for that great post.  It shows everyone that is a life long journey.

Way to go

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

Joanne J.
on 5/30/11 7:00 am - Canada
Thanks joyce you are awesome..what you just wrote has made me started that and am glad for the advice as sometimes if we dont track what we eat things can get out of hand..
congratz on your weight loss journey

joan x

Most Active
Recent Topics