Surgery in Ottawa- My Experience

CdnGal
on 6/9/11 9:21 pm - Canada
So... last Monday I had surgery in Ottawa along with Lil Stinker and another lady who is not on the OH board but will be shortly.  It was not what I was expecting.  It was probably the worst day of my life.  Yep. It was.  (I know that in reality it will probably turn out to be a good day, but for now, it was bad) I arrived on time, changed into a gown, and then met with the pre-op nursein the morning.  Left my dh, and then was sent on a bed down to the elevators.  There I went down to a very cold floor but I had a blanket so I was OK.  I stayed in the hall while they were getting ready for me for about 20 min.  I got bored so I began reading my file.  No surprises except for that day that listed that I was 'slightly anxious' about the surgery which made me lol because of course who wouldn't be???  Next they brought me into the surgery room where I switched beds and the anestigiologist started cracking jokes about how he was going to give me som O2 and then mix me up a ****tail.  Well, don't let them fool you, the O2 contained the ****tail.  At first I had to take off the mask b/c I was not used to breathing into it, but after the second try and three breaths later I was out like a light praying away.  This is where it gets rough.  I woke up and was strapped to the bed with both arms with IV etc with excrutuating pain and nausea.  My first though was about the pain, and then the second thought was 'I'm alive and I made it through, but is this hell???'  lol  very true!  Anyway the nurses were all chatting and telling me to wake up.  All I could say was that I was in pain and that I was going to get sick.  Get me to a toilet I'm going to be sick.  Anyway they gave me a bunch of drugs but it didn't take it away.  Dr Yelle came along and was very insistent that I look at him (which I couldn't very well do b/c I was so out of it) and I just kept saying that I was in pain.  He asked the nurse what I had been given and she rhymed off about 4 drugs, then he told her to give me something else- can't remember what it was.  Anyway I blacked out.  I came to a few different times in my room, I remember going into the room, not being able to focus and blacking out, I remember my dh giving my a kiss and talking to me, I remember I woke up at one time and dh was sleeping very uncomfortably in a chair (he is 6'10, blacked out again, the nurse told him he should go since I wasn't going to be conscious for awhile, then I remember dh giving me a kiss good-bye.  So... my surgery was at 11:30am, midnight rolls around and I have to go to the bathroom.  Again I am strapped in with iv one one hand and monitors on the other and tubing for breathing.  I call out b/c I can't focus on even trying to find the nurses button.  Valerie comes and gets me into a sitting position where by I gag and get sick into a wastebasket, I walk 5 steps to the bathroom, sit down and get sick again, stand up, sit down, call the nurse who helps me back to bed whereby I got sick again.  This continued every hour until 5am.  It was brutal.  Valerie later told me that I was given a little bit to much anesthsia and that my body didn't react well to it.  The other nurse, Beatrice, told me that they haven't had anybody that out of it in quite a while.  I slept alot, I walked as much as I could, and I visited with Catherine who no surpise to anybody, was bouncing around!  :)  The lady beside me had a really rough go of it.  She had extra scans etc b/c she wasn't able to walk and her bp was down.  They found out that she had problems with her kidneys (unbeknown to them before the operation)  She will probably be out today or tomorrow.  Beatrice and Val are wonderful, patient nurses who always were professional and kind.  I'm stopping by with cards next week for them at my follow up appointment.  Dr. Yelle is excellent with years of experience and you can tell that the nurses really respect him.  Dr. Rosch is young and meticulous.  She is a very hard worker and stayed beyond her hours for the lady beside me.  Also I overheard her tell the nurse to call her immediately if there was any change in the woman and she would come right in.  I was very impressed with both doctors, especially Dr. Rosch.  She is very professional and focused but once you joke with her she relaxes and it is all good.  
    Also, day 1 I found that I was hiccuping alot- 40 minutes at a time.  Dr. Yelle told me that
my fluids were settling in my new stomach over my diaphram which didn't like the new feeling.  He said just to take it slow.  He also told me that the nausceousness could last for up to 4 months out so be prepared.
    So now that I am home I am walking and sipping.  I can't get in all of my water and protein in, but I am very close to what is expected of me.  I am still on pain medication and my left side hurts the most.  I hate taking the children's liquid tylenol b/c I feel sick to my stomach so then I take children's gravol which puts me out.  I also developed a cold so when I cough or blow my nose it kills my stomach.  
     I guess my only concern is that when I burp, it seems to come from the center of my back and makes its way up and it hurts when it does that.  Is that normal????   Everything else though is going fine!
merly6800
on 6/9/11 9:34 pm - Canada
Congrats and welcome to the Bench!
I am the same way with the knock out drugs they use to put you under.  I asked them to please give me some for the nausea as I didn't want to be throwing up for the 12 hours after I woke up.  Whatever they gave me it worked.  They also gave me a patch to put behind my ear for the nausea.
All in all sounds like you had a good experience there.
Take it easy and relax...just keep yourself hydrated!

Marilynn
Eileen C.
on 6/9/11 9:46 pm - Cornwall, Canada
WOW

Sorry to hear of your experience.     I can certainly feel your pain and anguish!!

The only thing I can say is, It will get better. Get lots of rest and try to walk and sip as much as

possible.

I had a completely different experience when I had my surgery, I realy did not have any pain after

surgery except for trapped gas, but I can understand your feelings.

I did not have my surgery in Ottawa though.   So I cannot realy comment on Ottawa and the hospital

etc.

I was indeed fortunate to have the surgeron I had and the wonderful experience of the surgery and the
after effects. Soon you will too.

Sending healing vibes and warm hugs, you deserve both.

Take care

Eileen 
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
jaay
on 6/9/11 10:07 pm - Canada
Wow I am glad you had a great staff watching over you and I am sorry that you had such a bad experience :( can I ask you if this is the first time you have surgery?  or have you had it before? and if yes did you have the same reaction to the anesthsia?  Congrats on being on the losers bench I can't wait! 

J
CdnGal
on 6/9/11 11:24 pm - Canada
I have never been under before so perhaps that was why I reacted the way I did.  I am just glad that it is done and over with!  :) 
jaay
on 6/9/11 11:29 pm - Canada
That is what I worry about as I have never had surgery and never been put under either.... I am glad your feeling better!  

J
Karen M.
on 6/9/11 10:31 pm - Mississauga, Canada
First, welcome to the bench and wishing you continued success.  Second, be glad it's all behind you and you can move on and get yourself healthy! :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Crackintoes
on 6/9/11 10:48 pm - Canada
Hang in there kiddo and welcome to the bench. Put your feet up and rest awhile.

I had a bit of a rough time too, especially after I got home but rest assured that it gets better from here and one day VERY SOON you'll be laughing about your experience and really happy you had the surgery.
~Just another day for you and me in paradise. 

CdnGal
on 6/9/11 11:25 pm - Canada
Yes every day it seems to be getting better.  But it was a scary ordeal for me that's for sure.  I am definetly taking it easy and walking and getting lots of rest.  My poor poor dh even took me for a walk last night at 11:30pm b/c I wanted to.  I am a very lucky woman!
ibed
on 6/9/11 11:26 pm
i just had my surgery a couple weeks ago and noticed that burping hurt.  it didn't come from my back, it came from my belly but it hurt esp. if i had to burp and didn't/couldn't.  it does pass, took me about 4 daysísh.  also maybe find out what type of anesthesia they used, maybe next surgery (if you have one) you can ask to avoid it.  welcome to the bench, take it easy and remember to rest - everyone reacts to surgery differently.

debi.,
Most Active
Recent Topics