Ottawa VS Humber

MS Miller
on 6/21/11 12:17 pm - Nepean, Canada
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into the Humber surgery for Ottawa patients. First question is it really faster to have it in Humber, and has anyone gone this route to share with me.
If I understood correctly you have your surgery at Humber but all follow up is done in Ottawa, as that's where I live. Also how many days do you stay in the hospital at Humber.

Thanks Sue

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
teacherof4
on 6/21/11 12:30 pm
Sue, I was called by Ottawa in late Oct 2010 to transfer to Humber. I was called by Humber to have my first workshop in mid Dec but for personal reasons I had to put them off for a month until Jan 2011. Everything went very quickly from here. I took all my workshops and appts at Humber but my surgeon Dr. Lindsay actually worked out of St Joe's Toronto so that is where my preop and surgery was. My first month dietician and surgeon appt is back in Toronto not Ottawa. I had my surgery last week and everything went very well - my experience was great! If you have any specific questions just ask. Oh - I stayed in the hospital from Tues (surgery) to Fri.

Sherri
June 14, 2011 - Surgery date                
MS Miller
on 6/21/11 12:54 pm - Nepean, Canada
Thanks Sherri
Interesting, as I have had my orientation in Ottawa In March, my Nutritionist and behaviorist in May, and now next week my WLS class. I was a patient of Dr Dent from way back, so I did not need a Phys apt, plus i don't have sleep apnea.

Do you have to go back to TO, I was told all follow up could be done in Ottawa.

I hope you are doing well, good luch with your recovery.

Sue
Muddymark
on 6/21/11 11:01 pm
Hi Sherry
I too have been wondering about the humber process.  Went to orientation in February and have the class next week as well. 
Nervous about the unknowns.  I have heard that there is 1 appointment in TO prior to the surgery.  Then I heard there were 2 appointments in TO prior to the surgery.  I have heard that we have to take self injections for 10 days after the surgery.  I also heard it was for a month.  Seems like at every appointment I hear a variation of the same story.  

Do you have a place to stay in TO?  I don't.  I will be hoteling it.  And yes I think it is much quicker, as I know people who went to orientation in early february who just finished the nut/behav stage....

I was also told at some point that after the education class, our file is sent to humber and to expect a call in approximately 1 month to start booking appointments for Toronto.

teacherof4
on 6/22/11 12:24 pm
I assumed that I had to go to TO and I haven't been told that I don't have to. Ottawa would definitely be easier but I really like my TO surgeon.
Radiogirl39
on 6/21/11 12:56 pm - Canada
Well, I was denied originally due to smoking. I quit and the referral went back in April. I got a call in less than 2 weeks that I was approved.  Had my orientation June 13th. Meet surgeon this Fri June 24th, bypass class July22nd, SW & RD  July 26th.  No idea what else they will throw in between or when surgery might be assuming I make it through the gauntlet run.  At orientation they said they did 350 surgeries last year at Humber but it will be more this year as their funding has been upped.  I have no idea why Ottawa patients would be coming all the way here for surgery unless it's just surgery availability.  And I've heard 2 days is usual if there are no issues.
MS Miller
on 6/21/11 1:13 pm - Nepean, Canada
Thanks for the info.

I was asked if I would consider going to Humber as it could be faster as in wait times from 3-6 months sooner, the drawback is that you must pay your own expenses, travel, hotel etc, and not many people seem to have the meens to do that. It does not take me off the Ottawa list until I decide to acept the date from Humber, it just reduces some of the surgeries from the Ottawa area.

Sue
DeeCanada
on 6/22/11 2:24 am
hi,
I think everyone is different.  I also have gone thru Ottawa, but at orientation we were asked to fill in  a paper if we were interested in going to Toronto as it would be faster. I went to Toronto in May to see Dr. Huynh, was given my date as August 9th BUT I also asked to be put on their cancellation list, low and behold 2 weeks ago I was given July 6th as my new date.
Now, I have to go to Toronto tomorrow to see Dr. Glazer the Interest that will follow me while in hospital and I go next door to Humber for my PATT.
Today is day one of OPTIFAST which I will be on for 2 weeks..til July 5th...
Then surgery.
dee
teacherof4
on 6/22/11 12:33 pm
I did not do any of my appts in Ottawa. I had 2 workshops in TO at Humber and then an appt to meet the surgeon, an appt to meet with social worker and dietician, another surgeon appt and then pre surgery work appt, then surgery.
I had shots for the four days I was in hospital (ST Joe's) but nothing after - that may be different for Humber. We stayed in a hotel - 4 Points Sheraton is 5 minutes down the road and offers hospital rates of about $100 a night. I think I mentioned my first workshop was mid Jan and then everything was done in April expect pre op.
Remember I was transferred to HRRH but the surgeon assigned to me actually works out of St. Joe's and that may make a difference with some of my answers, but I was very pleased with my experience.
Most Active
Recent Topics