Looking for feedback on Ottawa hospital!

Sher1ock
on 6/28/11 1:45 am - Canada

I am still pre-surgical so I can't offer first hand experience.  That being said, I am scheduled for July 20 and I am not concerned about the level of care I will receive at Ottawa.  The info book we have been given says risk of mortality is 0.2-2.0% of patients. When I had my appt with Dr. Mamazza, he said it was closer to 0.5%.  For arguments sake, let's say it is 2%, which would be 2 patients in a hundred.  If your concern arises from that fact that two people have died, that would seem to be well within expected parameters, as more than 100 people have had surgery in the last two years.  We also don't know what the story behind those deaths may be...were there underlying medical issues?  Did they follow the program faithfully?  Were the deaths caused by the fact that it was gastric bypass surgery, or were they more general surgical risks, such as complications of general anaesthetic?  I don't think there would be a wide variation between any of the hospitals on this...the variation is more from the point of view of wait times etc..  In fact, I get the impression that Ottawa has a more cautious prgram with respect to post-op diet etc. (although I repeat, that is just my impression from reading the board) which to me, speaks to less of a chance of complications.  Certainly, inform yourself as you make this life-altering decision.  But make sure you inform yourself fully, including total number of surgeries performed, the actual causes of death of any of those cases that may have had a tragic end, the risk of this surgery compared with general surgical risks and the mortality risk of not having this surgery.  If your appendix was about to burst and they wheeled you into the ER and said we need to do surgery and the risk is 0.2%-2.0%, would you have the surgery?  I know I would.

BrigitteD
on 6/28/11 8:24 am - Sumerstown, Canada
Thank's for putting my minde at ease and giving me those statistique, that's great!  Everything you daid is very logical and makes a lot of sense.
Thank's!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Nancy K.
on 6/28/11 2:22 am - Cornwall, Canada
Hi Hon,

Try not to be scared, (I know that is hard, I will be going through some of that myself as my time approaches), but do your research and ask alot of questions and don't be afraid to ask the questions you need to ask. 

You need to be aware of everything about the operation or at least as much as you can........when you decide you want surgery, you want to all the in's and out's.

If my daughter was to have the operation, she would be told to check things out carefully as well.  I know that when the time comes were going to Hamilton to have hers done, she wants the sleeve and they don't do that in Ottawa. But were having hers done by Gagner if we can afford self pay or we going to Hamilton.

As for groups, we have one in Cornwall a group that meets on the 1st of every month. I haven't been there in awhile, but you should check it out.

I get a montly letter from them as well.

The Ottawa group is fantastic, so you can't go wrong there either, again, more research, lol.

If your interested please let me know and I will send you the info.

Hugs,
Nancy
  JAN135 & CONNIE - Earthly  Angels 

BMI 71.44 -- Goal BMI 25.5    Old Weight--385    New --349 lbs   Goal weight is 135 

Weight  to lose is   243
debralight
on 6/28/11 3:11 am - Canada
I've heard mixed reviews about Ottawa - I think one of the surgeons there had a number of people with some bad complications a while ago - maybe Dr Yelle - but he has a lot of fans too .. and really all I'm passing on are my impressions (worth what you paid for them).

I  would suggest you ask very specifically when you see your surgeon about his personal complication and death rates.  Questions like - how many readmissions have you had after surgery for complications or have there been any fatalities in the 12 month after surgery in any of your patients etc...
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

BrigitteD
on 6/28/11 8:20 am - Sumerstown, Canada
Great advice I will ask those questions!  Thank's for answering!
wls123
on 6/28/11 11:09 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi BrigeitteD,

I had my surgery (RNY) in Ottawa in November 2010.  My experience was very positive.  Dr. Mamazza was my surgeon and he was very professional.  I met him at my surgeon's appointment weeks before the surgery.  I also taked to him for several minutes in the operating room before my surgery.  The surgery was almost painless and I had no complications.  Dr. Mamazza was off on the weekend (I had my surgery on Friday morning) so his interin came to see me/ examine me several times on Saturday and Sunday morning before I was discharged.  As for the hospital staff, they were wonderful.  Very professional and friendly and they took very good care of me. 

I would definately recommend the RNY and getting the surgery in Ottawa. 

Jodi

Optifast starting weight 272 lbs
Surgery weight 256 lbs

My Angel is Sheri139        
BrigitteD
on 6/28/11 11:19 am - Sumerstown, Canada
Very happy to hear that, I'm feeling more and more confidente about my surgerie in Ottawa, thank you so much for you're input.

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/11 12:22 pm
Hi! I had my surgery in Ottawa on May 16th by Dr. Yelle. Everything went well and all the staff are terrific. I have no complaints at all.  Cindy
ladydi1234
on 6/28/11 12:25 pm - Canada
I went to Ottawa and had surgery there. I took my time and did a lot of research and
asked a lot of questions and may I say I have nothing but praise for the Clinic, Doctors
and the Ottawa Civic.
SURGERY DATE                  MARCH 11 2011               
Just let me get through one more day!

Ottawa34
on 6/29/11 3:01 am - Ottawa, Canada
I had my surgery March 4th-2011, and I had a great experience.  My surgeon was Dr Mamazza and I met with him a few weeks prior to sx and he answered every question I had.  I'd started keeping a list of questions whenever they popped up.... good thing to keep around.

The nurses were awesome and very friendly.  I had some pain afterwards, but everyone is different, they encouraged me to walk the next day and too try the liquids that were given to us.  And it helps alot I found that in the area that we were in, it was mostly all gastric patients. helped alot.   

I hope with all the ottawa peoples getting back to you that it's putting your mind at ease and that you're able to progress through your journey somewhat stress free :)

Good luck

Amy
 Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

Most Active
Recent Topics