Protein anyone?

Betty Jo L.
on 7/1/11 5:31 am
 I have a question has anyone ever tried the Iso-Pro Low Carb protein powder from GNC? it is 35 grams of protein and how long does a 6lb bucket last or there is a liquid one called Isopure zero card with 40grams of protein. These protein powders and what not are dam expensive. Do you have to take protein shakes for the rest of your life or is it only until you can eat solid foods?
 Be Happy and live your life to the fullest          
happypants
on 7/1/11 5:36 am - Ottawa, Canada
Is the 35 grams per scoop? Some protein powders are based on two scoops.

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Betty Jo L.
on 7/1/11 5:56 am
 It is 1 scoop for 35grams. Trying to figure out this protein thing.
paula-37
on 7/1/11 8:11 am - brantford, Canada
Hi I have had the iso-pro low carb powder from GNC.not you do not have to be on protien shakes for the rest of your live.i was only on them until i could have solid food.good luck with your weight loss joureny.it is very expensive at gnc for protien powder.i hope you have a great long weekend.iam sending you hugs and positive vibes for a successful journey.keep the questions coming.
SICNERELY YOURS YOUR OH FRIEND ALWAYS
PAULA(paula-37)

debralight
on 7/1/11 8:44 am - Canada
 i am a year and a half aout and do a protien drink a day - its my choice for breakfast. but no you need not have them if you can get in your protein requirements otherwise. I do them as a choice.

I buy the 6lb pail at GNC - isowhey burst low carb powder in the french vanilla flavour. 

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Betty Jo L.
on 7/2/11 2:45 am
 How long does a 6lb container last you? Just trying to figure out what I need to get and not have to spend tons of money on the product.
debralight
on 7/4/11 6:58 am - Canada

Well i don't eat more of it cause i have it and i don't remember how many servings it has (a lot ..) - so a few months. I find it balances cost per serving economies and not wanting to buy enough for a platoon of weight loss people.

I'd say it lasts a few months - and if it lasts long it isn't likely to go bad.

Its my default/fallback/staple - running out of it is not a good thing. Bring your calculator there and work out the cost per servings if you are trying to minimize overall cost. 

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Mary A.
on 7/4/11 5:09 am
I us ethe very same IsoPro products...and what I do is have a scoop in the morning as a shake it begins my day properly and I know I have almost a 1/4 of my daily requirement of protein before I start my day

You simply cannot consume enough (food) to adequatly get all of your required protein in each day...do the math...add up your eggs, your chicken breast, your yogurt etc etc etc

and it should equal 80+ grams of protein.....(that requires a lot of food

that being said you should try to get most of your protein by way of food, but when you can only eat 1 1/2 chicken breast

http://www.rocksolidbodybuilding.com/Protein-content.html

3 oz skinless chicken breast gives you 25 grams of protein...which is around teh same amount I get in a scoop of protein powder....turkey breast is better when factoring protein..but how much turkey can a person eat..

for me at 2 years + post-op...I use the protein powder as I mentioned to get a jump on the day and I also add an additional shake now and then when I am cooking for the family and am not going to eat what they are eating OR....if I simply don;t want to cook.

since protein is the most important product that we put into our body besides our vitamins and water..investing in a container or buckey of good quality protein powder...is much cheaper, than eating at a fast food outlet even 3 x a month...

remember you did this surgery...to make YOU healthier ..you deserve the best

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Mary A.
on 7/4/11 5:15 am
keep in mind that having mor ethan (1) scoop 26-30ish grams of protein at a time, is maximum that your body as a bariatric patient can absorb...ALL....notations of a protein product are usually based on what Body Builders or people that work-out can absorb.

I used to add two scoops of protein months ago thinking that I was doing myself a favour..what I was doing was flushing $$ down the toilet

there are varying comments/research about the above, so I can write this comment without saying...I think you have to err on the sid eof caution and "assume"..that more doesn't ALWAYS mean better for you~!!!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Karen M.
on 7/4/11 5:31 am - Mississauga, Canada
Actually, there have been a lot of professionals disagree with the 30g absorption limit - there are discussions about it on the main board all the time, with supporting studies (sorry, don't  have the links for you at the moment).

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics