Vitamin E Deficient

CdnGal
on 7/4/11 12:04 pm - Canada
So I went to Ottawa today b/c I have had such a rough couple of weeks, with no energy, dehydration etc.  They did my bloodwork and found that I am Vit E Deficient.  I am now on some vitamins that I take in the morning.  How many other people have this as well?  How long did you start to feel better? 
     In the past 4 days I have gotten some of my energy back- slowly and still not where it should be, but it's a start and I'll take it.  I will resume walking tomorrow morning and have gone swimming doing laps in the River.  It has been good, although very tireing.  The also told me to put the scale away since I am in a major stall...surprise surprise. 

pinkjellybean
on 7/4/11 12:13 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
Oh gosh girl!  I'm so glad they figured out what was holding you down and making you feel so sluggish......glad you're feeling a little better and hope that trend continues!!

Melissa

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

PatXYZ
on 7/4/11 12:21 pm
In order to absorb vitamin E you need some fat in your diet, are you getting some in? Are your other fat soluble vitamins ok? (A,D,K) Do you know if you've ever had low vitamin E prior to surgery? I only ask because even amongst bariatric patients it's more common to see A and D deficiency, sometimes K and rarely E - particularly with the RNY, it's more commonly seen with the DS (I've been doing mega research this past week on the different outcomes of RNY and DS). That's why I want to rule out that this wasn't a pre-existing condition before RNY. If you know it's just recent though, just take the vits they're recommending and try to take them with some food with fat, you want to get it back on track ASAP.
CdnGal
on 7/4/11 12:48 pm, edited 7/4/11 12:49 pm - Canada
Thanks- I really don't know much about it.  I have never been deficient before surgery, only now.  The rest of my levels are fine.  I am not eating a whole lot of fat right now, for obvious reasons.  Greek Yogurt in the am with blueberries, cheese with melba toast, and then chicken/protein with potatoe/veg for dinner.  Sometimes I might also have almonds as well for a snack.  I am taking my other vitamins and my thyroid level is good which is what I was worried about the most.  They told me to take the Vit E with breakfast in the morning and that it would probably hurt my stomach a bit.  We'll see tomorrow morning!  Thank you for the info. 
teacherof4
on 7/4/11 12:56 pm
Glad to hear that they figured out what was up. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon. I just went thru a 10 day stall - very frustrating but I'm hoping it is over for now. "Move forward" is my mantra these days. Good luck! I will call soon.
June 14, 2011 - Surgery date                
Mary A.
on 7/5/11 2:49 am
wow truly in almost 4 years on Bariatric boards I am not sure if I have ever heard a bariatric person being deficient in Vitamin E......

you also mention you are dehydrated...YIKES..start sipping tha****er or Zero calorie LIfeWater etc.~!!...bariatric patients have been hospitalized due to dehydration..

I am deficient in Vitamin D and I take 4000 units of Bio-D-Emulsion in drop form...it works wonders...if you can get your Vitamin E in an liquid form...try it that way~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics