Protein Question..What should I be looking for when buying

Betty Jo L.
on 7/6/11 4:22 am
 Hi Everyone,

I been trying out different proteins so I can find the one I like when it comes time for surgery. I am lost at what I should be looking for when buying it? I have tried Whey Protein Isolate which I was told to purchase. Is there something I should be avoiding...thanks in advance. Ugghhh so much infomation to know. 
 Be Happy and live your life to the fullest          
debralight
on 7/6/11 4:37 am - Canada
You want low carb ones.

When you went to the pre-surgery education class did they not provide you with any handouts and information on things like foods to eat after surgery, medications to avoid etc?
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Betty Jo L.
on 7/6/11 5:13 am
Thanks for the info. Low carbs got it. I have my education class tomm only. That is why I been asking so many questions before hand so I am ahead of the game.
sueberman
on 7/6/11 5:15 am
When I went to the class they simply talked about protien drinks - they didn't elaborate on which ones to buy, which to stay away from.  Because I'm not a dietician and had no clue about protien drinks, I went to GNC and talked to the manager to get information, read what I could here and ended up back at GNC to buy the powder there. 
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/11 5:20 am - Canada
When I had my class they gave us recommended products but they really didn't get into detailed info. I went to Popeyes and talked to a rep there and he was really helpful. He was well built too - in good shape so I trusted his recommendations. I haven't had surgery yet but I'm looking to stock up on a few different protein options.
PatXYZ
on 7/6/11 6:37 am
At TWH we were advised to look for 100% Whey Protein Isolate - other than that it's up to us. I second the low carb thing too, in case of dumping. GNC has some good low carb whey protein stuff and Shopper's carries the Weider's Fruit Splash brand which is great. For the chocolate/vanilla type shakes, I highly recommend making them with unsweetened almond milk, which is much lower carb and cal than either cow's milk or soy milk.
Karen W.
on 7/6/11 6:45 am - Canada
If money is an issue, you might want to check out the PC whey protein isolate at Loblaws (in chocolate or vanilla).  It's a great price and has 27 g of protein, 0 fat and 0 sugar per scoop.  I mix it with milk or almond milk and fruit (usually berries) and it's not bad.  If money is not an issue, I second the vote for Weider's peach mango fruit splash.  Low cal, mixes well with water (not gritty) and tastes quite good; worth the higher price.

RNY April 11, 2011       

Betty Jo L.
on 7/6/11 7:10 am
 When you mix it with berries, do you mash the berries first? Money is not an issue. I will try anything that is good lol.
Leslie W.
on 7/6/11 6:59 am - Cobourg, Canada
At TWH at my nutrtion class yesterday they told us to look for:

20-30 grams of protein per 30 grams of powder
less than 3 grams of carb per 30 grams of powder
Concentrate or isolate forms

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Karen W.
on 7/6/11 9:14 am - Canada
RE: the berry question... just throw it all in the blender until it's light and frothy.

RNY April 11, 2011       

Most Active
Recent Topics