Could use some advice

Kerry F.
on 7/14/11 6:13 am - Bolton, Canada

Today I got a call from the clinic in follow up to my first post-op bloodwork and I'm low in iron and Vitamin D.  Not to worried about that because it's an easy fix with supplements.  However, they also said that I was pretty dehydrated, which is not a surprise because I can feel it in my swollen ankles (crap!) and I absolutely know I'm not drinking nearly enough water.  I just can't seem to get it all in.  I'm concentrating on getting the protein in & still drinking 2 protein shakes a day.  It takes me sooooo long to eat a meal and since the recommendation is to wait 1/2 hour before and after eating to drink, I find I can barely squeeze in 3 glasses a day.  It's not that I don't like water; I actually prefer it to almost anything else - I was a big water drinker before surgery;  usually 2 litres a day.  I'm just having a lot of trouble now.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 6:26 am - Vaughan, Canada
I had the same issues not to long ago.  I think it is pretty normal at this point in the journey.  To increase my water intake, I started carrying a bottle of water everywhere I go and sip on it throughout the day.  I keep water in the car (it just sucks cause it gets warm).  At my desk at work I have a stainless steel bottle (500 ml) that keeps my water cold and I sip on it all day and stop 1/2 hour before lunch and start again 1/2 hour after lunch.  At home, I have a larger bottle (1 L) that I fill up with ice, water and crystal lite and drink that from when I get home until I go to bed.  Again, I stop 1/2 hour before dinner and start 1/2 hour after dinner.  Just small sips but constantly.

It was hard at first but now it has become a habit.  They say it takes 21 days to form a habit so just keep at it and it will come.  Good luck!
Karen W.
on 7/14/11 6:33 am - Canada
I've taken to drinking a lot more herbal tea.  I find it easier to constantly sip on tea than water.  I use a huge 2 Cup mug and make sure that I drink one in the morning and one in the afternoon, so then I only have to worry about getting about another 4 cups of fluid in over the day (including a protein drink). And I also carry a bottle of water or Crystal Light with me everywhere I go. Don't worry, you'll get used to it!

RNY April 11, 2011       

Most Active
Recent Topics