Did you tell others about WLS?

Nathalie_Can
on 7/16/11 12:08 am

I try to understand why I have a feeling inside that I don't want to tell others about the WLS.  I'm not talking about yelling it out...lol...but just  like co-workers, people that I am closer then strangers but not as close as immediate family.  Even aunts, uncles and cousins don't even know. 

I know everyone is different, feel different about who they tell and don't tell, I just wanted to hear your story of how comfortable you felt on who you tell and how you felt about not telling or telling.

As weird as it sounds, I'm just trying to understand my reasoning!  lol

Thanks for your time!
Happy Saturday!
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Sher1ock
on 7/16/11 12:40 am - Canada
I've told everyone. All cousins,co-workers, etc..I know that some people may be judgmental, but no one has said anything like that to my face. Anyone who has expressed skepticism or ignorance about what is involved has been met with an encyclopedic knowledge of what this surgery means, both on the plus and minus side. As a bonus, I have been able to provide info to people for whom wls might be an appropriate choice and I have found support from places and people from whom I did not expect it.

I could not consider doing this in private, but that's just me. To each their own. Quite frankly, anyone in my world who is so negative that they would cause me to consider hiding the fact that I am finally taking control of my health and my life can kiss my shrinking butt!

TBIYTC
on 7/16/11 1:44 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
I applaud your knowledge and attitude Sher1ock.  I particularly like the "can kiss my shrinking butt!".  But I am nothing like you.

There are three reasons I have told only two people so far (husband and one friend):
1 - I don't want to hear any negative opinions about WLS
2 - Until recently, I thought (forgive me please) that WLS was "cheating".  Boy has that changed!  However, I don't want to deal with anyone who feels that way.  I have tried so many diets and failed - I don't need anyone else telling me I should be able to do it on my own and thus reinforce that I am a failure.
3 - What if I don't get  approved for the surgery? 

This is me.  I actually hope the rest of you do not feel this way.  Things might change as time progresses.  But this is where I am now.

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

jennifer_rpn
on 7/16/11 12:49 am
I personally have only told my 2 best friends, parents, nanny, and brother. Don't want anyone else knowing until it's done and over.

My   is Quinns_mommy  and she rocks - Thanks for all your support!
mom4life
on 7/16/11 1:06 am - Port Rowan, Canada
 You are right, everyone is different, and you will get many different answers, all of them rational in their own right.

I chose to tell very few people:  my hubby, my best friend, my sisters (my parents are both deceased), my children and my in-laws.  That's it.  Nobody at work, none of my aunts, uncles and cousins, none of my other friends.  I too am not sure why I felt like I couldn't share, but am just not comfortable in publicizing it. 

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

Cheryl D.
on 7/16/11 1:10 am - Toronto, Canada
I told my whole family, my friends, co-workers and anyone else who wanted to know.  When I started losing weight rapidly people would ask and I would tell them.  If anyone wanted more detail or wanted to know how they could apply for surgery I'd help with that too.

So far no one has been negative about it to me, but even if they were it would not affect me in any way.  I did what I did for my health, which by the way has improved by leaps and bounds.

I used to take NINE different prescription medications, now I take two.  My type 2 diabetes is resolved.  My doctor says my cholesterol is pefect and my bood pressure is like a teenager.   How could anyone be negative about that ;)

All the best to you
Cheryl

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

HaveKidsWillTravel
on 7/16/11 1:34 am - Canada
I have told no one except my husband and best friend. My kids are too young and I have't gotten up the courage to tell my parents, that will come soon. Just don't know how to yet! I guess I don't want to be judged...

Starting weight 258
Current weight 167 
Down 91 lbs

Surgery Aug 9th 2011

Karen W.
on 7/16/11 2:23 am - Canada
At first, I just told my husband and my two best girlfriends.  As it approached, I started trying it out on the rest of my immediate family (parents, brother, uncles who I am very close to).  I eventually told all of my team at work (about 10 people), as I work in a health care setting with some very progressive and supportive folks.  I got a couple of soemwhat reserved responses but I also got some overwhelmingly positive responses.  My boss really surprised me with how supportive he was.

Part of the reason that I told people is that I knew I would be experiencing sudden weight loss and, as I have had some health issues in the past, I didn't want anyone to worry.  I also was really hoping for support, and ended up getting far more than I expected.

Good luck with your decisions about who to tell.  I'm sure you'll do what is right for you!

RNY April 11, 2011       

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/16/11 2:36 am - Windsor, Canada
I told pretty much everyone but I'd resolved to educate everyone along the way. Most people tell who they need to before surgery (the more people you tell typically the more crap you will hear). After surgery, a lot more people tell others (as they won't have the ability to say 'don't get surgery'. At a year out, I tend to find people don't care anymore and will share openly or even yell it from the rooftop because they feel so amazing! LOL

The thing I always say is don't tell until you are 100 percent okay with everyone knowing. - and be aware even with telling a 'few close friends' often word gets out

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Diana B.
on 7/16/11 2:39 am, edited 7/16/11 2:40 am
RNY on 07/20/12
I have told pretty much everyone. At first I was kind of secretive about it, but then I figured I am doing something positive about my obesity, so why hide it?

Overall, I have had good, supportive responses. My brother is a GP and I was surprised when he was so supportive because usually, he's pretty conservative. He did point out that one of his patients reverted back to old habits and has gained most of the weight back.

Someone brought up a good point, in that they were afraid to tell people in case the surgery fell through. I never thought about that!!! But I guess if that happens to me, I will have to bust my butt and do this the old fashioned way because people have already seen me lose 70 lbs and then gain it back via the Dr. B diet.

My parents and hubby were kind of shocked and scared at first, but since they've been educated on WLS along with me, they've mellowed out. My hubby is super supportive. I think he's kind of scared underneath it all, but he wants me to succeed and has said nothing negative about it.

I think a lot of people don't realize how common WLS is these days. My brother and my former employer (also a GP) opened my eyes to this. And I don't see it as cheating or an easy way out. For me it's more like a last resort because I have tried and failed at everything else. I see this as a tool to help me finally change my lifestyle forever.

Referral Sent to Ottawa WMC December 16th 2010
Info Session/First Appointment March 25th 2011
Surgical Assessment January 3rd 2012
Dietitian and Behaviourist February 15th 2012
Abdominal Ultrasound May 8 2012
Surgical Education Class June 13 2012
Surgeon Appointment June 28 2012
SURGERY!!!!! July 20 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics