hey

debra197630
on 7/18/11 4:51 am - Canada
I have started the process for the weight lost surgery in Ottawa I was just wondering if I need to get accepted for Ohip before i actually do the surgery,, I have had my first appointment and just wondering if I get the ohip process going or because its being done in canada do i need to actually get approved 
jdance
on 7/18/11 5:15 am - Canada
Hi, Welcome and Congratulations.

You don't have to do anything with OHIP. It's all done thru your baratric centre. Just sit back, read read read and prepare yourself.

J

PatXYZ
on 7/18/11 5:16 am
To have WLS paid for by OHIP, you must be referred by your doctor to the Bariatric Registry (online) and then assigned to an Assessment Centre who will ultimately refer you to a surgeon for surgery if they have found you to be a good candidate (after appointments with nurses, internists, social workers, nutritionists, etc). This process take about 15-18 months in Ottawa from referral to surgery (is my current understanding), though you may be able to be referred to another municipality if you have family or support there.
If you decide to just approach a surgeon directly on your own for surgery, you will be paying for it yourself out of pocket.

www.bariatricregistry.ca
mom4life
on 7/18/11 5:19 am - Port Rowan, Canada
First of all welcome!

Second, when you say you have started the process, does this mean that your family doctor has sent your referral in to the central registry?  If that is the case, they will forward your referral on to the center of excellence nearest you (and there is one in Ottawa), and that clinic will contact you directly.  As all centers are different I am not sure of Ottawa's first step, for me (I had my surgery in Guelph) the first step was receiving an information packet in the mail and that included an appointment for an information/orientation meeting...and you are on your way.  No need for further OHIP paperwork, the clinic will make all the determinations about whether you qualify with OHIP.

Good luck on your journey!
Lori

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

debra197630
on 7/18/11 5:54 am - Canada
 My dr  sent the referral and i have already had my information session,,, i sent the referral in last year in february,, had my  info session on june 24 2011 and now just waiting my second appointment thanks for all the info i cant wait to be on the loser bench with everyone else,, im a little worried about the whole thing but i know that im sick of being over weight and dealing with the pain and suffering from my weight problem
sueberman
on 7/18/11 6:24 am
Like me, you sent yours before the registry.  I've wondered how many were left that had put in their referral before the new registry started and still haven't had even their first appointments.
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

debra197630
on 7/18/11 6:33 am - Canada
 hey i had my first appointment a little then a year after my referral,,, so hopefully i dont have wait another year,,, i want this down and over with and to get on with my life and enjoy the rest of my life pain free,,,
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/18/11 6:31 am - Windsor, Canada
Then ohip's is already paying for it all Hun. In the old days we had to get preapproval To go to the states. You only need your approvals from the centre you are going through - okay from the endo, dietician - all the people that you will visit at the centre

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics