Vitamines

BrigitteD
on 7/18/11 5:53 am - Sumerstown, Canada

I'm presently pre-op.  I have stop drinking alcohol and coffee.  I'm practicing my new eating habit, better nutrition, baby spoon and no liquids 30 min before and after a meal.  Now here is my question, I'm presently taking Vit D and a multi vitamins. Should I be taking vit B 12 to?

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

PatXYZ
on 7/18/11 6:12 am
You should probably ask your doc for a blood work-up and see how your numbers are and see what he recommends. I take a B100 complex everyday and a fairly high dose of Iron 3x a week because I am prone to anemia, but average people do not usually need to take this supplementation if eating a balanced diet. I'm sure your doc will be happy to oblige if you tell him it is to get as prepared as possible for surgery :)
Monica M.
on 7/18/11 6:21 am, edited 7/17/11 6:23 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
vitamin B is water soluble, so isn't stored in your body. Your body will get rid of what it doesnt need, so it wouldnt do any harm to take it. (Vitamins A, D, E and K are all fat soluble, so are stored in the body, and it's possible, but not likely that you can overdose on them)

Good for you, for making those changes.

PatXYZ
on 7/18/11 6:29 am
That's true, but it would be a waste of money if they aren't needed... and you might discover there is something else you're deficient in that you really need to be supplementing for.
Leslie W.
on 7/18/11 7:08 am - Cobourg, Canada
At my nutrition class at TWH they reccommend post op if you are using the B12 strip 2 x week. They did not reccommend starting anything  pre op.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/18/11 7:21 am - Windsor, Canada
Not really necessary.

B-12 is taken because we lose our "intrinsic factor". Intrinsic factor is a protein produced by cells in the stomach lining. It is needed for the intestines to absorb vitamin B12 efficiently. 

Everything functionally normally, unless your blood work comes back with a deficit, you can meet your quotas through food.

Bloodwork is key after surgery though and you want to get it done frequently.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

BrigitteD
on 7/18/11 11:09 pm - Sumerstown, Canada
Thank's for all the good advice and info, It's so nice to have good frind's like you!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Most Active
Recent Topics