What do you do when everything tastes bad?

Kerry F.
on 7/18/11 8:57 am - Bolton, Canada
I feel as though my taste buds are constantly changing - sometimes overnight.  This latest round started Saturday when I noticed a really bad aftertaste from my protein shake - the same one I've been using and really liking since 2 weeks post-op.  It suddenly tastes 'tinny' to me.  So I went and picked up a couple of other brands that some of you folks have recommended.  Blech!!!  Even worse.  So I tried a protein bar today.  Yuck again.  Even my yogurt has a funny taste and I've been eating that for weeks!   The last straw was my NSA popsicle.  I couldn't even fini**** - and in this heat, it's a crying shame!!!  I tried an egg for lunch and gagged.  Nothing tastes right and I feel like I have to force myself to eat.  Does this sound familiar to anyone? 

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/11 9:08 am - Guelph, Canada
 How does you breath smell?

About a year ago my hubby had something that sounds like what you are going through.. everything tasted off. I noticed his breath started HONKIN too... he went to the doc and found out he had a fungus on his tongue..  

dont know how he got it.. but he was given some RX mouth wash.. at the nursing home we call it magic mouth wash and he had to swallow it... after a week he was fine ... it was gross tho 

Kerry F.
on 7/18/11 9:17 am - Bolton, Canada
Nope...tongue looks fine and my breath seems OK....thanks for the tip, though.

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

debralight
on 7/18/11 9:35 am - Canada
It can be a sign of acid reflux - are you getting any heartburn?

Hate to be predictable but it might be a good idea to give your surgeon's office a call and ask them about it....

I find protien bars have a disgusting aftertaste no matter what.. haven't had one for years (even prior to surgery .. YUCK).

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

StayStrong
on 7/19/11 12:39 pm - Canada

I had a similar experience. Mine started about two weeks prior to my surgery last year, when I was drinking those horrible shakes. I just thought they tasted like crap. But after the surgery, when I was having clear liquids etc., things were still tasting horrible. Water even tasted bad!! I checked in with my doctor and found out that I had thrush. I had no idea how I got it but I definitely had a big case of it. Well...the medicine was really sweet tasting - small amounts 4x/day. I had a lot of trouble getting that down and had to go through a second two-week treatment. That finally worked! Because of the thrush, I had a very bad recovery for the first four weeks. Jello was horrible, soups, everything during that time. Check with your doctor and mention thrush. Who knows? Hope all goes well.

Most Active
Recent Topics