Quick question about GOUT medication...

jcasb5
on 7/19/11 11:47 am
Does anyone know if I can take gout meds (Apo-Indomethacin 50mg)??

I'd have to tale the capsul apart, and use powder, but was wondering if anyone knows?

Gout flared up and HUGELY painful.

Failing a response, I'll wait and ask surgeon tomorrow, but if anyone else is in same spot and has already received clearance, I'd feel more comfortable!

Thanks,

J
Feb-10-Referral from doc,14-Mar-11-Orientation at HRRH,15-Apr-11-Appt with Surgeon,20-Apr-11-Gastric Bypass Class,09-May-11-Appt with the Dietitian & Social Worker,13-Jul-11-Surgery Date    
Monica M.
on 7/19/11 11:51 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i think its an NSAID, jcas
i searched it, using the search option up in the right hand corner and came up with this.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/amandap/blog/2009/04/13/meds/

jcasb5
on 7/19/11 12:17 pm
It is an NSAID - and looks like off limits, so I will connect with surgeon tomorrow for a replacement. Thx, J
Monica M.
on 7/19/11 12:17 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
hope you find something,J.

jcasb5
on 7/19/11 12:19 pm
Ya me too, but I'll just suffer through the pain tonight...
bogie
on 7/19/11 12:20 pm - Canada
It is definitely an NSAID and be very careful. It is an older NSAID and very hard on your gut. I am a nurse and my advise is to stay very clear of it.
bogie    
HW 305.5  Optifast 290 SW  276.5  CW 249 GW 148  My angels are Connie and Leanne

jcasb5
on 7/19/11 12:36 pm
Thank you, I'm am not taking it, I will call surgeon's office in the morning to see what I can do...

Thanks again, just the advice I was looking for...
Linda C.
on 7/19/11 12:36 pm
I think I read something about protein drinks and gout - that there were certain kinds that were more apt to bring about an attack.  Maybe it had to do with soy?  I'd check with your surgeon, he may have some advice on what may have caused it, and what you can do about it.

I'm still pre-surgery but have been sampling different protein drinks, and I found that my feet were affected.  Not a full blown gout attack, but uncomfortable.  They calmed down after a couple of days however, but I don't know how I'll be when I increase the number of protein drinks per day.

I'd be interested in knowing what your surgeon says... so please post again and let us know.

Good luck and I hope the pain goes away quickly. 

Take care.

Linda C.
Leslie W.
on 7/20/11 10:28 am - Cobourg, Canada
Soory but that is an NSAID. Are you on Allopurinol? that is allowed

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
jcasb5
on 7/20/11 11:29 am
Thank you all - Saved my life!!

I suffered the pain all night, ended up in emerg in Barrie, got a prescription for pain and swelling. Came home and did some research on it, then decided NOT to take it. I tell you some doctors are clueless about our surgery!

Called surgeon in the morning, and he said I did the right thing by NOT taking the prescription!!

I now am on allipuranal (sp), but still in a great deal of pain and taking pain meds. I don't know how long it will last but this is the worst pain and condition I've been in for a very long time!!

All the surgery stuff is fine, no problems, but gout in my toe s killing me. I hope it passes soon, I'm immobilized and having hard time due to pain. It's madning!!! But hey-my family has been great, daughters running around, making meals, and helping out - I'm a lucky guy!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics