Can someone please explain.....

elizabeth G.
on 7/20/11 3:18 am - Canada
why taking your vites/supplements helps with weight loss?  I am going to plead ignorance here and admit that after 19 months, I still don't really get it.  I had been really bad at taking my vites (again) and I noticed a stall in my weight loss (again).  I started taking my vites religiously a couple of weeks ago, and I have noticed that it has made a huge improvement on my weight loss.  Why does this happen?

Thanks,

Liz
DS SURGERY NOV 20, 2009
210 POUNDS LOST SO FAR
Mary A.
on 7/20/11 4:58 am
from what I understand and I oculd be wrong taking your vitamins has absolutly NOTHING to do with weight loss...it's to replace the much needed minerals and vitamins that your body no longer can consumer or absorb..because we now have malasborption issues because of re-routing our system the additional vitamins are necessary.

If you haven't taken your vitamins regularly...you may want to check with your doctor and get a full blood panel done...it's very important to get that done every once in awhile to make sure your iron levels are not depleted and you iron,  vitamin B's etc are where they shuold be.

I fyou believe you are losing weight becaus eyou are taking your vitamins...I amnot sure because I cna't find anything that can substantiate that statement..it could also be a jump start to your system..and you may be expelling water.

Remember the first 5-10lbs a person loses is usually water.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Karen M.
on 7/20/11 5:13 am - Mississauga, Canada
Actually, I think there is something to this - not that I completely understand it myself.  However, certain vitamins need to be in good amount in our bodies to promote weight loss/prevent weight gain.  Vitamin D, for instance.  This is from a recent study:

Vitamin D, in conjunction with calcium and sunlight, helps to properly assimilate food and regulate normal blood sugar levels. When there is a lack of calcium, oftentimes due to a vitamin D deficiency, the body increases production of synthase, a fatty acid enzyme that coverts calories into fat. Calcium deficiency can cause synthase production to increase by up to 500 percent, explaining the correlation between low levels of vitamin D and obesity.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/028051_Vitamin_D_weight_loss.html #ixzz1Sfs0dTQr

Just a thought - I'd have to do a lot more research on it.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Radiogirl39
on 7/20/11 7:07 am - Canada
I would imagine it's the same principle that makes starvation diets not work. If your body is not getting nutrients it holds on to everything thinking there's a famine.  Since there is malabsorption due to the intestinal bypass the vits you take are the only ones of those type that are going in. 

My concern is that it looks like I have a sensitivity to vitamin D.  Recently started taking some vitamins and started having super itchy skin, mostly in *ahem* certain embarassing areas.  Thought it was due to being at my highest weight and the super hot weather creating "fold" issues, but I did some research and turns out vit D can cause itchy skin.  Went off it and it seems better. Not sure what I'm gonna do post surgery, it was extremely uncomfortable.

Julie
Karen M.
on 7/20/11 8:00 am - Mississauga, Canada
Interesting.  Bring this up to the dietician for sure at an appointment.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 9:04 am
I think it has more to do with what helps keep our body stable and it good working order. For example or if you are down in your B vitamines or iron you don't have the energy to do things. So you get more sluggish and don't then exercise, so you are not burning the calories.

Most Active
Recent Topics