Puree for week 2 post-op HELP!!

jcasb5
on 7/31/11 12:22 pm, edited 7/31/11 12:57 pm
Question. I'm doing pureed foods and heading into week 2.<br />
<br />
When I eat, I find that I don't get a feeling of full. I stop because I've reached a quantity that I'm supposed to be at, but not full. <br />
<br />
I'm also rarely hungry, but when I do eat, I feel I could eat all day-no full feelings. I am able to tolerate everything. Chicken, pork, beef, soups, stews, crackers everything... I have not been sick, no dumping syndrome, never full, rarely hungry. <br />
<br />
I ate two scrambled eggs for breakfast, 2 oz chicken for lunch, 3 oz steak for supper, then veggies and a cracker here and there for snacks, but never full. <br />
<br />
Am I doing something wrong? Eating too much, too little? It almost feels like I have not had the surgery. I seem to be tolerating anything I try...<br />
<br />
Some advice from vets would be helpful!!
Sher1ock
on 7/31/11 12:32 pm - Canada
I'm not a veteran as I am also at the pureed stage, but as I understand it, nerves have been cut and will take time to heal so it is not unusual to not necessarily "feel" full, which is why it is very important to measure quantity. It may take a while for your body to be able to tell you when it is full, and when it does, it might not be the sensation you were expecting.

Good luck!

jcasb5
on 7/31/11 12:43 pm
Good point. I'll keep on a measuring!
KristieA
on 7/31/11 1:22 pm - Orillia, Canada
Definitely keep measuring. I had/have the same thing. I could keep eating as I don't feel 'full' so I have to measure and pay attention. I am 4 mths post op and the nerve endings seem to be just now giving me those signals. Trust me-if you do eat too much, you will pay for it the next day. You will have one sore achy pouch. Measuring is a pain, but essential.

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Monica M.
on 7/31/11 1:57 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
I felt the same way, like nothing had been done to me except 4 or 5 wee holes stuck in my belly.

Weigh and measure. You can't feel full right now. The nerves have been cut, during the surgery, and it takes time for them to regenerate.

Just be careful, about eating the right things, it's too easy to eat the wrong things, if you're tolerating everything, like i have been.

Sounds like things are going as they should, Sir.

Mon

jcasb5
on 7/31/11 11:37 pm
Yup-makes sense! Thanks all. I guess I'm on right track... I was reading things here and seemed like people were feeling full, loving that their pouch was rejecting certain foods, and making statements like "love my RNY"- and I wasn't understanding as I am not "feeling" it...

Thanks for the info...
charm64
on 8/1/11 1:55 am - Cambridge, Canada
 I agree measure, measure!  
I did feel full and knew it.  But I knew I was full sometimes by burping of hiccuping.  Those are also signs.

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

Mary A.
on 8/3/11 2:32 am, edited 8/3/11 2:32 am
there is a difference between what is called "head hunger" and actually being hungry.......

portion control is something that we as obese/overweight people didn;t take into consideration when we used to pile our plates mile high and went back for 2nds or thirds.

truly.....just because you think you could eat all day...doesn't mean that you can...when I was almost 2 months post op..I thought I could eat a piece of meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy (the gravy would help it go down)..bad choice and luckily...I had a lined garbage bag at my desk at work..because...when people talk about foamies...when you PUSH your pouch to the limit..you do get a PUSH BACK from the pouch.

sound slike you are making some good food choices

...BUT do try to be careful and STICK to the guidelines......you shouldn't be "trying anything"...the rules/guidelines work and they are prooven..if you go off the wagon this early on..it may be difficult to get back on track..and truly you didn't have this surgery to sabotage yourself!

Keeping a food diary may be useful.

All the best

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

debralight
on 8/3/11 4:45 am - Canada
My pouch didn't give me much feedbac****il about 4 or so months out.

Then it had something to say about lots of things.

Enjoy the lack of hunger, and enjoy the weightloss. Just please stick to the guidelines of what to eat and how much to eat - this is your "golden" time for weightloss.

Just be aware that you will get feedback at some point when the nerves regrow.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Most Active
Recent Topics