who can get turned down for RNY

Teasha H.
on 8/28/11 7:51 am - north of Barrie, Canada
Just wondering which people would be turned down for this procedure?

Monica M.
on 8/28/11 8:01 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
I'm north of barrie too! where are you? i'm in midland

You'll get turned down if you don't meet the BMI requirement
if you have health issues that contraindicate having surgery
if you have had previous abdominal surgery that makes this surgery impossible to do

check out this link that'll give you some more information.

http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/faq.aspx

trudylam
on 8/28/11 8:06 am - Sudbury, Canada
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't they decline surgery for psychological/mental health issues too?  Just wondering, thankfully my mental health was not an issue!
Monica M.
on 8/28/11 8:24 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
yes, you're right, Trudy.

Teasha H.
on 8/28/11 8:16 am - north of Barrie, Canada
Here is my concern, I have gained about 5 pounds since I was refered and now I am concerned that they will reject me.
Monica M.
on 8/28/11 8:26 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i dont think so. You do need to show that you are committed. Gaining weight during the process may delay things, tho, but i dont think youll be refused for it. I gained weight from the time i was referred until the time i saw the surgeorn (probably about 5 lbs)

Don't sweat it. Youll be ok.

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 8:44 am - Guelph, Canada
 i gained 13lbs from July 2010 when i was referred to Aug 18 at my first appointment... they never batted an eye or questioned it... 
StevesGal
on 8/28/11 8:27 am - Hamilton, Canada

No, they won't reject you for gaining a bit of weight.  50 lbs, maybe.  5 lbs., not so much.  They look at the whole picture of you, not just the numbers on the scale.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Derek C.
on 8/28/11 8:53 am - North Bay , Canada
I was told in post op last week that a gentlemen was sedated and ready to go and when they went in to the liver they found that he "cheated" the optifast so they sewed him back up and sent him home - he was given another chance but i was told lately they arnt giving second chances for optifast non compliance

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

Teasha H.
on 8/28/11 9:27 am - north of Barrie, Canada
Wow that's for the answers and I will NOT cheat on Optifast in fact if I had of realized that this process would have started so quick I would have made sure I didn't gain the 5 lbs.  I will need some ideas with help on how to get the optifast down like what I can mix with it to make it taste a bit better.
Most Active
Recent Topics