Anyone opt to self pay?

ND2BTHN
on 9/13/11 1:56 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Hi all. I am set on getting the sleeve and am working on getting my doctors approval. I know that OHIP only covers the sleeve with a BMI of 50 or higher, and I am only 40.1 I do not want to settle for the RNY and wondering if anyone has managed to self pay within Canada? I will go wherever I have to,  just would rather stay at home if possible. Is it even possible?

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
debralight
on 9/13/11 1:59 pm, edited 9/13/11 2:05 am - Canada
You can self pay but you'd need to go outside Ontario - many have gone through a doctor in Montreal. I believe his name is Gagner and he charges somewhere around $15,000 +. You'll need to arrange in province follow up after surgery as i don't think the bariatric clinics will support you - so you'll need a GP up on VSG (or one who is teachable) so you can get the aftercare you need. No idea what supports are in place if you have complications -however you would want to make sure that's clear. Other than a dire emergency no doctor here is required to take you "on".

I don't think OHIP lets you pay for a procedure they cover (abet only for some) in province.

Why don't you want the RNY? What about it is "settling"?

Personally i wasn't too thrilled aout the thought of losing most of my stomach - if i get stomach cancer then I'm screwed - what do they do - remove the bit you have left? RNY can be un-done if things happen VSG can't. That's how i think about it anyways.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

ND2BTHN
on 9/13/11 2:07 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I pretty much thought that. No two tiered system allowed here.  Was hoping it would be considered elective. Thanks for the info.
ericaFG
on 9/13/11 8:34 pm - Cambridge, Canada
The flip side of that is that if you get cancer (or an ulcer etc) with the sleeve, they can see it to diagnose it. With RNY and a blind pouch, they cannot.

If they detect cancer early, they can, indeed remove more of your sleeve. It does stretch over time. And they only remove about 80% in the beginning.

Both surgeries have pluses and minuses.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

GD6
on 9/14/11 1:23 am - Hamilton, Canada
On September 14, 2011 at 3:34 AM Pacific Time, ericaFG wrote:
The flip side of that is that if you get cancer (or an ulcer etc) with the sleeve, they can see it to diagnose it. With RNY and a blind pouch, they cannot.

If they detect cancer early, they can, indeed remove more of your sleeve. It does stretch over time. And they only remove about 80% in the beginning.

Both surgeries have pluses and minuses.
I had a discussion with my gall bladder surgeon who had done a fellowship in bariactric surgery, he told me that they CAN get into your blind stomach.  

They do it laproscopically, so it does involve a surgical procedure but it CAN be done.
Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

Linda C.
on 9/13/11 2:21 pm
I had the option of getting a VSG because I had been taking an anti-inflammatory for arthritis and joint problems.  If you are on any current medications that cannot be taken by patients that get an RNY, they may offer you the option of getting a VSG.  Under those conditions, OHIP would pay for the surgery.

Linda C.
_______________ My  is jennifer_rpn______________________________
Includes 72 lbs lost prior to Optifast;  additional 20 lbs lost on Optifast

ND2BTHN
on 9/14/11 12:28 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I never considered that. I take oral hormone replacement therapy, and meds for adrenal fatigue. Hope that would qualify.  
ericaFG
on 9/13/11 8:37 pm - Cambridge, Canada
If you self pay in Michigan, they do follow up.

And if you had surgery out of province, you don't get to go to a bariatric centre here for visits, but you are cared for. After care for VSG is relatively straight forward, as your stomach remains physiologically normal. And people have been having a sleeve for other purposes for decades so doctors are familiar with it (if you call it a gastrectomy).
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Aelfwynn
on 9/14/11 4:53 am - Canada
I opted for self-pay so that I could have the VSG. I went with Dr. Gagner in Montreal. I paid 15,000 for a revision from the band, but my sister was told it would be 12,500 for just the VSG.

Dr. Gagner gives you the Cornell VSG diet to follow There is no follow-up after the first week or so, but you're free to email Dr. Gagner with any questions you have. I am already seeing a therapist, and my doctor's office has a dietitian that I see, so that's how I'm handling support. I'm lucky in that I've had no complications, but I also live in Hamilton, so if an emergency came up I would go to St. Joe's.

I would have rather had the surgery closer to home, but Dr. Gagner is widely held to be one of the best VSG surgeons practicing today. I feel great, and I wanted the best surgeon I could find for my revision.
sam1am
on 9/14/11 12:00 pm
You can also get a VSG with Dr. Christou in Montreal.  You don't necessarily have to have a bmi over 50 to be approved.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics