Cream of tomato! Need advice!

BrigitteD
on 9/12/11 10:18 pm - Sumerstown, Canada

I'm getting ready to make cream of tomato with tomatos from my garden.  I what to make some for post- op.  My question is. Can I use cream to ake the soupe!  If not what do you sugges?

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Catw
on 9/12/11 10:34 pm - Arnprior, Canada
Hi Brigitte,

You may not be able to handle the cream post op (fat content).  When my MIL makes it, she just uses milk and it tastes really good.  I don't know what else is in it, as she does a little of this, a little of that.

Cathy

trudylam
on 9/12/11 10:42 pm - Sudbury, Canada
I would try combining skim milk and fat free sour cream or low fat cream cheese.  If you mix them together you should get the consistency you are looking for and it won't alter the flavour very much.  I was going to suggest greek yogurt but that has a really strong flavour that would definitely change the taste of the soup.  It sounds delicious!!  :)
joanne_1970
on 9/12/11 10:48 pm - Harriston, Canada
Getting ready for my full fluid stage I got out my recipes for cream soup (brocoli, squash and potato) and then checked for low fat versions of the recipes to see how different they were.  Not much except most used 1% instead of cream and a few used low fat sour cream.  I then added some benefiber and they turned out good and you can't taste the benefiber at all.

Joanne

happypants
on 9/12/11 10:50 pm - Ottawa, Canada

If you are going to use low fat or fat free sour cream I would suggest tempering it first as I may curdle if you add it to a hot tomato base. Just a thought though, it you add cream cheese it will turn out like a rosee sauce but there is nothing wrong with that lol!!

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Karen M.
on 9/12/11 10:51 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Oh my gosh, I would *kill* (ok, maybe not kill) for fresh from the garden cream of tomato soup!

My suggestion would be to use milk. Or 1/2 milk, 1/2 light cream. The fat content on the full cream would be awfully high I would think.

I'd love your recipe if you'd care to share :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Gabygee
on 9/12/11 11:31 pm - Canada
And my suggestion would be to add a dollop of Greek joghurt  (0% fat but very rich) after you've mashed up the cooked tomatoes, just before serving/canning.

The sourness will go well with the tomatoes - and it probably won't curdle if the soup's stopped boiling.

look_out_world
on 9/12/11 11:50 pm - Canada
 Gaby this is exactly what I would do too!! I knew I liked you lol.  Great way to get the added protein too 

sueberman
on 9/13/11 12:57 am
and exactly what I was going to write - I think it was Tracey wrote a while ago to replace sour cream with greek yogurt and I've been doing that - yummmm
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

LuAnne H.
on 9/13/11 2:02 am - London, Canada
I would use evaporated 1%, you get a creamy base without the fat.  Make sure not to boil, it will definately curdle.  The only milk product that can be boiled is whipping cream without separating. You probably won't need too much of the milk

Lu

Referal Apr.17, 10   Orientation Feb.24, 11  !st  App (SW,NUT.RN) May 17, 11
2nd App (SM,NUT,RN) Jul. 7,11, Post-op Nut class Jan 13,12,  surgeon Feb27,12
surgery April 5,2012
Most Active
Recent Topics